Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-27-2013, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
I can't tell my secret of how I found them but I managed to buy four older Scott's spreaders today from various people. I hope to buy several more.
Just found number five in CA. I have called or emailed six other people and hope to score a few more. I'm going to keep using my search method about once a week and see how many I can find.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 04-28-2013, 01:10 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

What is everybody using the little hand spreaders for??? I hope you guys isnt using them seed lawns. That would take forever on refill that little thing.

Here is what I use cross my new lawn installs
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2013, 01:26 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
What is everybody using the little hand spreaders for??? I hope you guys isnt using them seed lawns. That would take forever on refill that little thing.

Here is what I use cross my new lawn installs
A lot of us are licensed applicators and need a small spreader for flower bed applications.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Old 04-28-2013, 01:39 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
A lot of us are licensed applicators and need a small spreader for flower bed applications.
O sorry, Im a licensed applicator, I still don't use them little spreaders.
What are you spreading with them for flower beds??
Old 04-28-2013, 02:32 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:

Fertilizer on thin strips of turf around pools, fountains, ponds and narrow islands of turf around parking lots and commercial sites...any narrow or tight spot.

I carry it in the hopper of my ride-on mostly
Old 04-28-2013, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
I spread Top Choice, Talstar, and Dylox. Your out of the fire ant range for Top Choice but grubs are a problem every where. Usually, here the flower beds will get dug up first by armadillos, skunks, or raccoons and then they will move on to the lawn where they have to work harder to get to the grubs.

Guys who do structural pest control as well also use the hand spreaders to broadcast around structures.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
I spread Top Choice, Talstar, and Dylox. Your out of the fire ant range for Top Choice but grubs are a problem every where. Usually, here the flower beds will get dug up first by armadillos, skunks, or raccoons and then they will move on to the lawn where they have to work harder to get to the grubs.

Guys who do structural pest control as well also use the hand spreaders to broadcast around structures.
I do same thing with the big Hand Spreader
Like I said them little spreaders are time wasting item but they have a place to someone

Thanks for answering my question
Old 04-28-2013, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
I do same thing with the big Hand Spreader
Like I said them little spreaders are time wasting item but they have a place to someone

Thanks for answering my question
The benefit of the smaller spreader is you can hold it further from your body and more precisely aim it over or around object. I like Earthway but that chest spreader and their bag spreaders put you cranking hand into the stream of what your broadcasting which is not good at all.

Many items I broadcast will create some dust as well and I do not want that close to my body or worse closer to my head where I'm going to breath it in. On days where the wind is blowing some (which is every day here) it's great to be able to hold the hand spreader lower to the ground and further from my body.

Most of the time when I do bed applications I do not need much material. I can usually quickly refill the less cumbersome hand spreader with 2 lbs of material that will cover a lot of area. As you can see from this thread a lot of people really like their Scott's hand spreader. A hand spreader and a 5 gallon bucket for quick refills works really well.

All hand spreaders made for the last four years are crap and the Scott's unit is really the only unit ever made that was not crap. If you can find one of the older Handygreen II units you will love it.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
The benefit of the smaller spreader is you can hold it further from your body and more precisely aim it over or around object. I like Earthway but that chest spreader and their bag spreaders put you cranking hand into the stream of what your broadcasting which is not good at all.

Many items I broadcast will create some dust as well and I do not want that close to my body or worse closer to my head where I'm going to breath it in. On days where the wind is blowing some (which is every day here) it's great to be able to hold the hand spreader lower to the ground and further from my body.

Most of the time when I do bed applications I do not need much material. I can usually quickly refill the less cumbersome hand spreader with 2 lbs of material that will cover a lot of area. As you can see from this thread a lot of people really like their Scott's hand spreader. A hand spreader and a 5 gallon bucket for quick refills works really well.

All hand spreaders made for the last four years are crap and the Scott's unit is really the only unit ever made that was not crap. If you can find one of the older Handygreen II units you will love it.
So you don't wear a breathing mask If you think holding it 5ft away is going stop you breathing it in OK

If it works for you more power to you I fill my hand spreader once, I don't need drag a 5 gallon bucket around. Who packing the bucket you have back track to the bucket on every refill
Sorry I wont use a little spreader like you talking about for treating anything its a waste of time
Time is money
I do own one I forgot I use to seed my Deer Food Plots with Clover or Rape or Turnips Small plots and a handful of seed spreads several sqft. On my plots I have time to waste to enjoy the nature.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
So you don't wear a breathing mask If you think holding it 5ft away is going stop you breathing it in OK

If it works for you more power to you I fill my hand spreader once, I don't need drag a 5 gallon bucket around. Who packing the bucket you have back track to the bucket on every refill
Sorry I wont use a little spreader like you talking about for treating anything its a waste of time
Time is money
I do own one I forgot I use to seed my Deer Food Plots with Clover or Rape or Turnips Small plots and a handful of seed spreads several sqft. On my plots I have time to waste to enjoy the nature.
Those of us with a ride on keep it in our hopper and use it for small areas. Just scoop out of the hopper. It makes me faster, more accurate on small spots, and saves me fertilizer by preventing over broadcasting. Quit being small minded. Think outside the box. The point of the thread is that there are a lot of us that want a commercial hand spreader. Not a chest spreader.