Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-27-2013, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

MP Rotator change out

Have a system we maintain, small HOA townhome complex, and they have been built in stages by different builders. Each builder has been doing their own sprinkler install for their units, hooking to the mainline or just adding onto the neighboring zone. So, you guessed it, the system is a mess. We took this over spring of last year, and fought it all summer.

1" tap, meter, RP. 1.5" mainline. 1" laterals. The four worst zones have between 34 and 45 spray heads, with a mix of 10'-15' nozzles, even a few 18' VANs. These zones were so stretched it was unbelievable. The worst zone was of course the farthest from the source. I finally convinced them last week to let us do an MP change out.

The worst zone, at the farthest head from the zone valve, had 16 psi at the head. Heads would come up half way, 15' nozzles sprayed 8'-10', many areas not getting covered. And they b!tched at us all last summer about it. Changed out today with a mix of 1000s and 2000s. Pressure reading at the same had - 39 psi. Worked like a charm. Great coverage, heads pop fully up, center of the yards are getting covered by multiple heads. Did 4 zones today, about 160 nozzles. Three more zones to go, and fix one zone that is a mix of sprays and rotors. Felt good to make the system better.

Got sunburned today, more snow coming Wednesday.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I don't know how you find the the time. I'm so far behind start ups, it will be June before I can do any major repairs/renovations. My long time customers come first, the rest can wait.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Took about 4 hours for two guys for the start up, check and adjust, change out, and screw around with one 1.5" valve. We are far behind but I have been wanting to do this one for a year now, and I made great money on it.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

i will be doing some of the same stuff on a smaller scale. i love those heads and design with them more and more.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Im a big fan of the mp rotator... I do wish they would come out with true 15 foot variety (not have to dial down a 2000).
Old 04-28-2013, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Dana, did you flat rate price that job? I have done 3 change outs like that on a tenth of the scale and folks about choke when I give them a price. When you have almost $7 a nozzle it adds up pretty quick not to mention its not as quick to adjust them as a spray nozzle.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLight View Post
Im a big fan of the mp rotator... I do wish they would come out with true 15 foot variety (not have to dial down a 2000).
Why what issues do you have dialing down a 2000 ?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-28-2013, 03:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwater View Post
Why what issues do you have dialing down a 2000 ?
I have fooled with MPs since we tested them for Walla Walla, and found the pressure is the big deal; they will do most what you want them to do (much like their older brother, the Toro Stream Rotor) as long as you've got 50+ psi at the head. I've tried the 1000 series, and they suck.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's not really an issue, it's just another thing to have to do that I feel could be expedited. It's no secret that the most used spray nozzle is the 15 of some variety whether it be a 15 fixed nozzle or 15 van. In service work, it's like clockwork that most irrigators work I fix they try to do 15 foot head to head spacing as many places as they can on spray zones and then they will hit their smaller areas that are left with less common 4,6,8, etc. It's just one less adjustment I would have to do while getting pummeled by the other MP rotators on the zone (no getting around the arc adjustment part). It's also not the easiest thing in the world to find that tiny radius reduction screw on the mp nozzle while you are getting blasted by all the other mps on the zone.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
I have fooled with MPs since we tested them for Walla Walla, and found the pressure is the big deal; they will do most what you want them to do (much like their older brother, the Toro Stream Rotor) as long as you've got 50+ psi at the head. I've tried the 1000 series, and they suck.
Then you must hate the mpr40 bodies
Posted via Mobile Device