Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-27-2013, 08:23 AM
LawnSite Member

24D In burndown, how long to wait to seed grass?

My son used a glyphosate/24D mixture to burndown some weeds in his backyard. He is going to plant Fescue in this area. How long does he have to wait, until seeding the grass? Thanks for any replies.
Jim
Old 04-27-2013, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

3-4 weeks i believe
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-27-2013, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Not saying you don't already know this, but, Sept is a WAY better time to plant seed as there will be ample time for the roots to take. Even though our Spring is WEIRD this year, generally Summer's heat comes on a bit too rapidly for Spring seeding to 'take' -> like it does in Sept. Spring seeding is best put down in Feb...though it will not germinate until the soil is warm enough.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 04-28-2013, 01:20 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coadman View Post
My son used a glyphosate/24D mixture to burndown some weeds in his backyard. He is going to plant Fescue in this area. How long does he have to wait, until seeding the grass? Thanks for any replies.
Jim
All depends on you rate that you applied. If I did it I could seed with in a 7-10 days
Old 04-28-2013, 03:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valk View Post
Not saying you don't already know this, but, Sept is a WAY better time to plant seed as there will be ample time for the roots to take. Even though our Spring is WEIRD this year, generally Summer's heat comes on a bit too rapidly for Spring seeding to 'take' -> like it does in Sept. Spring seeding is best put down in Feb...though it will not germinate until the soil is warm enough.
I would even suggest watering the area throughout the summer and repeating the RoundUp. An area bad enough to require 2,4-D and RoundUp is pretty weedy. My preference is to kill weeds in an unplanted area rather than in a new lawn.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 04-28-2013, 06:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The glyphosate in the mixture was a bad idea, even when targetting specifc weeds, becuz any grass it touches also dies...
But if one IS using glyphosate,,, there is really no reason to use 2,4D along with it, except for specific mutated weeds that no longer respond to gly...
Usually one does not spray for broadleaf until later in the season and all of the Spring Touchup Seeding is complete...
This late in the game I would say it does not matter if you seed in 10 days or 2 weeks,,, unless you have shade and water on your side...
Once your weeds are dead and dried, hit the area with a garden weasel, irrigate and seed(when the soil dries) with the weasel again, preferably working in a bit of compost at the same time...
Old 04-28-2013, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
The glyphosate in the mixture was a bad idea, even when targetting specifc weeds, becuz any grass it touches also dies...
But if one IS using glyphosate,,, there is really no reason to use 2,4D along with it, except for specific mutated weeds that no longer respond to gly...
Usually one does not spray for broadleaf until later in the season and all of the Spring Touchup Seeding is complete...
This late in the game I would say it does not matter if you seed in 10 days or 2 weeks,,, unless you have shade and water on your side...
Once your weeds are dead and dried, hit the area with a garden weasel, irrigate and seed(when the soil dries) with the weasel again, preferably working in a bit of compost at the same time...
Read closer Think the OP wanted do a burndown to reseed a area. He didn't need to mix 2-4d with the gly unless he was spraying tall weeds and wanted to spike his mix. If spraying tall weeds with gly mix it stronger its a different mix if you are spraying 6'' of growth

The comment you made about broadleaf spraying. What are you talking about??

The OP ask a simple question. You went somewhere else with the answer. Stay on track
Old 04-28-2013, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Member

I know fall is the best time to plant grass, but, He didn't get it done then, and wants to try and do it now. It has been unseasonably COOL in our area of SouthCentral Kansas all Spring, so earlier planting than now, probably wouldn't have resulted in any germination at all. I'm a farmer, and its been too cool, soil temp wise, to even think about planting anything to grow. I know, in soybeans, you don't want to spray a 24D mix burndown right prior to planting. If you do, you hope it doesn't rain right after, as the 24D will go down into the ground and hurt germination of the soybean seed. Not familiar with grass, as I never plant any. :-) 24D label doesn't say anything about time to wait prior to planting grass seed, as normally 24D is applied to established grass stands. I think he was going for some henbit with the 24D, which the glyphosate doesn't do a good job on. BUT,if he had it to do over again, I think he would have just stayed with straight glyphosate.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Residual 2,4d in the soil can affect grass seed for up to 3 weeks

Residual Glyphosate in the soil does NOT affect seeding at all,,, at least that is the official word...

Either way,,, IMO when the henbit is dead and dry you can easily overseed then...

Synder says I'm off topic and do not understand the question,,,
so I ask,,,
What is actually meant by the term: Burndown... ?
Old 04-28-2013, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Ha,,,,that is the farmer in me, as we notil all of our fields, and when you kill all the weeds prior to planting any type of grain crop, it is called, "Burndown".