Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-25-2013, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks Axe. I think it turned out ok. It was kinda difficult to keep the top line even with the voids in leaves when taking branches off. it looks a little uneven in some places but for the most part its straight. the customer is satisfied so i guess if thats accomplished, its a win.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes sir, that's the important part. As long as the customer is happy, you're in good shape.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:18 AM
LawnSite Member

We have certain days for pickup (3 times a year I believe). They don't take large amounts, they will only take things that are in brown paper bags, or that are tied and no more than 3' in length. I always haul the clippings away.
Where I live we have to pay to dump grass clippings, but we are allowed to dump brush for free. I put any grass clippings I have in the bottom, and cover it with hedge clippings. Then I get to dump everything for free- as long as they don't catch me haha
Old 04-26-2013, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Member

haha thats a good one. Im currently seeking out some LCO's in my area to pick their brains a bit about issues like Dog poop, Debris disposal, extra charges for way overgrown yards, and things such as dog toys, trash, kids toys, water hoses and other stuff in the yard. Before in my other businesses i would just shut up and color. but now im starting to get tired of taking home a wheel full of dog crap. i had o wash it off of my brand new Lazer z the other day. and a yard i did was so overgrown i ran an enormous risk of tearing my mower up by running over chunks of 4x4 and other stuff that couldnt be seen from the mowers seat.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorLandscapingLLC View Post
It was kinda difficult to keep the top line even with the voids in leaves when taking branches off. it looks a little uneven in some places but for the most part its straight. the customer is satisfied so i guess if thats accomplished, its a win.
IMO, you didn't cut it back far enough along the side walk and probably the house as well. When you are doing a structure cut like that always cut it back/down ~10-12" further than where you want to maintain it.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
IMO, you didn't cut it back far enough along the side walk and probably the house as well. When you are doing a structure cut like that always cut it back/down ~10-12" further than where you want to maintain it.
Yeah, your probably right. Actually, the guy didnt even care if i shaped them or even messed with the front side. he was just concerned with the back touching the house for the bank and cutting the height down so the address could be seen. I took it upon myself to clean the front up a little bit but if i took anymore off the face, it would have been nothing but a stick bush. i was trying to keep them as non transparent as possible because of the amount of material removed from the top and back. they were pretty thin as it was. but i appreciate your input and ill take that into consideration for the next go around.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorLandscapingLLC View Post
Yeah, your probably right. Actually, the guy didnt even care if i shaped them or even messed with the front side. he was just concerned with the back touching the house for the bank and cutting the height down so the address could be seen. I took it upon myself to clean the front up a little bit but if i took anymore off the face, it would have been nothing but a stick bush. i was trying to keep them as non transparent as possible because of the amount of material removed from the top and back. they were pretty thin as it was. but i appreciate your input and ill take that into consideration for the next go around.
There comes a point where you just cut it down to the ground. If it comes back, then it will look more natural. If it doesn't come back, then replace it with something more appropriate.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
There comes a point where you just cut it down to the ground. If it comes back, then it will look more natural. If it doesn't come back, then replace it with something more appropriate.
understood.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Another important issue with trimming,,, is the time of the year...

Our trimming time is mid-June, after everything has finished its Spring bloom and before it hardens off...
At that time we would bring it back to the size and shape we wanted for the rest of the season...

the biggest problem with that strategy is that we're alsways cutting the same place all the time, and these large knots of nodes form all along the trimline... for this reason, it is ,,, as Kiril said,,, cutting below the maintenance size upon occasion is desirable...
For us ,,, this is best done in the dormant season, then ,,, smoothen out the edge after Spring growth... it may not be as tight a surface as it normally is , but neither are the knots in there... next year will have denser growth again...
Old 04-28-2013, 12:08 PM
LawnSite Member

good info. ill keep that in mind as well.