Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-28-2013, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrashears View Post
Those of us with a ride on keep it in our hopper and use it for small areas. Just scoop out of the hopper. It makes me faster, more accurate on small spots, and saves me fertilizer by preventing over broadcasting. Quit being small minded. Think outside the box. The point of the thread is that there are a lot of us that want a commercial hand spreader. Not a chest spreader.

He skipped right over my post about this...Hanging that Earthway around his neck must be cutting off circulation to critical areas.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
So you don't wear a breathing mask If you think holding it 5ft away is going stop you breathing it in OK

If it works for you more power to you I fill my hand spreader once, I don't need drag a 5 gallon bucket around. Who packing the bucket you have back track to the bucket on every refill
Sorry I wont use a little spreader like you talking about for treating anything its a waste of time
Time is money
I do own one I forgot I use to seed my Deer Food Plots with Clover or Rape or Turnips Small plots and a handful of seed spreads several sqft. On my plots I have time to waste to enjoy the nature.
It sounds like you are using your spreader for lawns as a walking mounted spreader and don't do any flower bed applications like many of us do. For trying to do a lawn a hand spreader would be silly in large areas but for flower beds where the application is often covering 1000 sq. ft. or less it works great.

For the applications most of us are doing in this thread the hand spreader is the perfect tool for the job. For flower bed applications the hand spreader is a much more nimble tool.

Most of my client base is in the $1,000,000 home range where there is a lot of flower beds to do. Many of the beds are split level beds or simply beds where I need very precise applications to avoid pools, walkways, fountains, and things like that. At least for my applications the bulky chest spreader would be like a bull in a China shop.

It also looks like your in a small middle class city where you don't have many homes with much for flower beds and almost nobody has swimming pools or high end landscapes that need much care where a hand spreader would have much use. The market I serve has more millionaires (20,000+) then your town has residents (17,000).

The chest spreader definitely has it's uses but I think you may be a fish out of water trying to make a blanket statement that the hand spreader is a wasteful tool. For me personally, the chest spreader is too small for lawns and lacks the precision I need for flower beds.

I myself would never use a chest spreader because as you can see in the attached picture there is no guard to keep your hand out of the spreader stream of material. As you walk forward at a decent pace the material you are broadcasting so close to your body is going to get all over you. Light weight material such as Dylox would be very problematic.

I would think there would be some serious potentiual liability in trying to have any employees use a chest spreader.
Attached Images

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 04-28-2013, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
It sounds like you are using your spreader for lawns as a walking mounted spreader and don't do any flower bed applications like many of us do. For trying to do a lawn a hand spreader would be silly in large areas but for flower beds where the application is often covering 1000 sq. ft. or less it works great.

For the applications most of us are doing in this thread the hand spreader is the perfect tool for the job. For flower bed applications the hand spreader is a much more nimble tool.

Most of my client base is in the $1,000,000 home range where there is a lot of flower beds to do. Many of the beds are split level beds or simply beds where I need very precise applications to avoid pools, walkways, fountains, and things like that. At least for my applications the bulky chest spreader would be like a bull in a China shop.

It also looks like your in a small middle class city where you don't have many homes with much for flower beds and almost nobody has swimming pools or high end landscapes that need much care where a hand spreader would have much use. The market I serve has more millionaires (20,000+) then your town has residents (17,000).

The chest spreader definitely has it's uses but I think you may be a fish out of water trying to make a blanket statement that the hand spreader is a wasteful tool. For me personally, the chest spreader is too small for lawns and lacks the precision I need for flower beds.

I myself would never use a chest spreader because as you can see in the attached picture there is no guard to keep your hand out of the spreader stream of material. As you walk forward at a decent pace the material you are broadcasting so close to your body is going to get all over you. Light weight material such as Dylox would be very problematic.

I would think there would be some serious potentiual liability in trying to have any employees use a chest spreader.
I do lots flower beds, rock beds
((((((If you wear proper gear But see you don't if worried about breathing in the dust and getting on you clothes.)))))

Be honest with you I don't put dry down in Flower beds with mulch I inject spray. To me I get a better kill in mulch beds vs the dry. Now in rock beds works well with the dry.
In lawns I use the hand held to cross my seed beds and go around stuff that the Turf Shaper can get to

O so since I don't have millionaire homes you say, I don't have flower beds or pools. OK!!!

A flower bed is a flower bed doesn't matter where its at cheap home or high dollar home. You put your socks on same way I do
If you like it ok More power to you
in my opinion its a time wasting tool

By the way Do have few millionaires and One Banker guy that is closer to a billionaire I do a lot work for him. And one Millionaires He is a Texas Oil guy that Summers up here. He is here more then there seems like and I do a lot work for him
I might be a small fish in your big pond.
You have Employees do your work And I do my own treatments and wear the proper gear Do you make you employees wear proper gear You must not if worried about stuff getting on you I'm talking suit, gloves boots glasses and breathing maskI guess Im old set in my ways. Doing it same way since 1981
Old 04-28-2013, 02:45 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Wow!...I stand by my statement in post#131...as well as the quote from Kbrashears
Old 04-28-2013, 03:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
I do lots flower beds, rock beds
((((((If you wear proper gear But see you don't if worried about breathing in the dust and getting on you clothes.)))))

Be honest with you I don't put dry down in Flower beds with mulch I inject spray. To me I get a better kill in mulch beds vs the dry. Now in rock beds works well with the dry.
In lawns I use the hand held to cross my seed beds and go around stuff that the Turf Shaper can get to

O so since I don't have millionaire homes you say, I don't have flower beds or pools. OK!!!

A flower bed is a flower bed doesn't matter where its at cheap home or high dollar home. You put your socks on same way I do
If you like it ok More power to you
in my opinion its a time wasting tool

By the way Do have few millionaires and One Banker guy that is closer to a billionaire I do a lot work for him. And one Millionaires He is a Texas Oil guy that Summers up here. He is here more then there seems like and I do a lot work for him
I might be a small fish in your big pond.
You have Employees do your work And I do my own treatments and wear the proper gear Do you make you employees wear proper gear You must not if worried about stuff getting on you I'm talking suit, gloves boots glasses and breathing maskI guess Im old set in my ways. Doing it same way since 1981
It's all good. I saw your spray rig on your Facebook page. I recently noticed a trend of some guys not having a website and only using Facebook. I guess it a free way to try to have a simple web presence.

I figured seeing 1981 you were set in your ways and then you hit the nail on the head in the end of your posting. I do most of my applications myself as well. Here in Texas you would die if you had to bundle up in a bunch of protective gear. I try to minimize gear I don't need and keep as much space as possible between me and what I'm applying.

A lot of my customers have 3000-4000 of flower beds and it's a lot of work treating them. Sometimes I'm going behind hedges or bending over broadcasting up under large plantings. I have house near me with an insane 30,000 square feet of beds.

The trick with a hand spreader and a bucket is to travel light and carry only what you need around each property. Usually, as little as 10 lbs of material is more then enough. It takes about five seconds to reload the spreader so it's not a big deal. I'm 42 and have been running just under six miles a week so I'm in shape and move quickly.

I'm also big on efficiency which is why I try to do almost all my applications myself. Top Choice at $137.50 a bag is way to expensive send you guys out with a few grand worth of material and hope for the best.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Old 04-28-2013, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I bought 12 Scotts hand spreaders before this season because they were cheaper to buy in bulk. Seriously we have almost went through all of them! They are total junk but I can't find anything any better. I would pay top dollar for a good hand spreader that would last.

I had my first Scotts hand spreader with the black handle for 2-3 years. It was a tank. These ones with the orange handles are just pure JUNK!
Old 04-29-2013, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

ya I stow mine in the hopper as well on jobs I need it, I started sprayin pb blast into my scotts, where the handle hole is, under the spinner, in the agitator hole, its lasted quite a bit longer

trust me, its a valuable tool to me, its used multiple times daily
Old 04-29-2013, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
For anyone who would love to see a clone of the old better version of the Scott's Handy Green 2 made please send an email to Sophy Chen at hzkc004@kingchee.com.cn. I'm trying my best to make something happen. Just tell her it used to be the best spreader you could buy and you would be very interested to see them made again. I would touch on how all the other spreaders on the market are crap and it's making it hard for us to do our application work.
Once again, if you guys want to see a company make a clone of the old Scott's spreader please email Sophy. Just tell her if they make the product you will buy it. If you have employee's or burn through a lot of the junk spreaders let her know how many of the inferior spreaders you have ruined. It's not cheap to make the production molds so she is really wanting to be assured that there is demand for the product before they spend money to make molds.

Old 05-04-2013, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Spreaders Arrived Today

The first of my five spreaders I've purchased arrived today. The hand crank and slide for the fertilizer setting are in perfect condition. The guy sold me these two with shipping for $45. I sent him a payment via Pay Pal for $50 since it was well worth it.

I paid $45 each for the other three spreaders I have coming. If I can find enough spreaders I may sell a few but selling them is really not something I'm trying to do. If you want one bad enough PM me and I'll tell you how much I'll sell one for if I'm able to find more.
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2013, 05:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
The first of my five spreaders I've purchased arrived today. The hand crank and slide for the fertilizer setting are in perfect condition. The guy sold me these two with shipping for $45. I sent him a payment via Pay Pal for $50 since it was well worth it.

I paid $45 each for the other three spreaders I have coming. If I can find enough spreaders I may sell a few but selling them is really not something I'm trying to do. If you want one bad enough PM me and I'll tell you how much I'll sell one for if I'm able to find more.

Is this a joke? Those are the same ones I can buy right now at the box stores.

The good ones have the black handles.