Got n tonight and have lost 5 out of 70

Two were floating, two r on the bottom and 1 was n the skimmer

I have not used any chemicals and have fed them a little but not much

Anyone have any advice for this rookie

I culd cry as I don't want to c my boys float n
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-25-2013, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What size is your pond? What kind of fish do you have...Koi or Goldfish....and what size are they? My immediate reaction is that you have way too many fish with inadequate bio-filtration.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

3500 gallon

80% Gf and 20% koi

Most r 3-5"

Several r 6-8

The biggest ones are GF

Not a ton of fish for the size of pond I have
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-26-2013, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What is the water flow rate? Are you sure that you have adequate biofiltration? Does the pond have an accumulation of organic debris from overwintering? This could cause a low oxygen problem.
Based on your figures, you have a stocking density of one fish for approximately every 50 gallons. Without an adequate water flow rate and biofiltration you can expect problems. These problems may only get worse as the fish grow in size.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The pump is 6000 gallons per hour

There r some leaves n the bottom

It is start n to get quite a bit of Algea

Should I clean it all out
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-26-2013, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

6,000 gph is a good flow rate for that size pond. You do not state the level of biofiltration.
I would try to remove as much of the organic debris as possible.
This being a northern climate pond, fish health issues are not unusual after the Spring thaw. During the winter the fish's metabolism is quite low which compromises their immune system. This makes them an easy target for any pathogenic organism that may be in the pond. It is practically impossible to control as the actual infection occurs during ice-over.
Did you experience ice-over this past winter and, if so, did you maintain an opening in the ice by means of a heater or aeration?
Old 04-28-2013, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadpole View Post
6,000 gph is a good flow rate for that size pond. You do not state the level of biofiltration.
I would try to remove as much of the organic debris as possible.
This being a northern climate pond, fish health issues are not unusual after the Spring thaw. During the winter the fish's metabolism is quite low which compromises their immune system. This makes them an easy target for any pathogenic organism that may be in the pond. It is practically impossible to control as the actual infection occurs during ice-over.
Did you experience ice-over this past winter and, if so, did you maintain an opening in the ice by means of a heater or aeration?
It is an aquascapes system. I am not sure how to answer you as I am so new to all of this.

I called a fish hatchery and they are almost sure that I have a bacteria called Protozoa.
They told me what to get and I added it.

I have since gotten all the debris out, and pumped out 1000 gallons and replaced it.

Lost 12 big fish the first day, lost 5 yesterday and 3 more today.

Weird thing is it doesn't seem to be bothering my little fish. More the big ones.

The fish actually look like their scales are coming off they are not moving much at all. Then when I put a stick close to them they take off and swim.

Do you have any ideas?
Old 04-28-2013, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Are the fish's scales sticking out like a Pine Cone?

An experienced veterinarian can not diagnose an illness without actually examining the fish, so I certainly can't and neither can a fish hatchery. Arbitrarily throwing chemicals and/or medications into a pond can actually cause more damage than good.

It really sounds to me like you have water quality issues. Have you tested the Ammonia levels? It takes a lot more to kill a Goldfish than it does a Koi, and Koi are pretty tough.

Wish I could be more help.

BTW Protozoa are entirely different organisms than bacteria, both being quite common in all water. Sounds like you talked to the janitor at the fish hatchery, based on what they told you.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Scales coming off sounds like a parisites.. fulkes etc. Are the fish flashing? Draining your water is a good start but if parasites are present it will not remove them. Salt is a good start it treats a wide variety of problems at once. Like tad said throwing random chemicals is not a smart move.

Pine cone tad? You thinking he has dropsy if so the fish would be swollen up as well as a scale problem.

With all the leaves in his pond sounds like nitrites or nitrates are out of balance a simply water test would show that
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-28-2013, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Raggs, been a while.

If the fish are losing scales, that could be a MAJOR bacterial problem. Thing is for the fish to become that susceptible would require them having virtually no slime coat. This, in turn, is indicative of some form of chronic stress at a level high enough to suppress the fishes' immune system. Most all fish health problems, except possible some of the viruses, can be traced back to chronic water quality issues. The source of the problem should be determined and corrected before a course of treatment is started.

I agree, first thing that should be done is a comprehensive water test.

Yes, Dropsy would include bloating. I asked, because many times, a question is posted and the poster, in the haste of the moment, will leave out important facts not realizing that they are important.