Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-28-2013, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew & Ben's Lawn Care View Post
Don't step over a dollar to pick up a quarter; change trucks.
I just got this truck. I don't like diesels and they start at about twice the price of the truck that I have now.

I'm not sure what you did wrong with your old F150 but I got 19+ MPG on the highway and 15+ in the city with mine. 5.0 engine and auto tranny. When I hooked the trailer up the mileage went into the toilet.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:53 AM

Richard, you need to find a good used diesel. One that hasn't been used commercially. I would go with a Dodge or a Ford. Most gas trucks are guzzlers when towing. This is why the trucking industry primarily runs diesels. Diesels will run good for 300,000 miles so you probably will be safe buying a truck with 100,000 miles plus on it. I love the Dodge Cummings diesel trucks, 1990 to 1995. Good transmissions. 5 speed would be nice. 3/4 ton. Yea they are expensive when repairs are need but if you take good care of them, you won't have many repairs ie change the fuel filter and air filters on time. Put in a diesel fuel additive on a regular basis to clean and lubricate the injectors.
My advice is a bit too late now that you just bought a truck. Everybody needs a back up truck LOL I am looking for a back up truck whenever I get the money to buy one
Old 04-29-2013, 08:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The diesel is out of the question. I don't need a truck that will go to 500,000 miles. And although the engine is good for that many miles, the rest of the truck will still be junk. I don't want a diesel and never will. Move on. I have my current truck and there is no hope of getting me to change my mind.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
The diesel is out of the question. I don't need a truck that will go to 500,000 miles. And although the engine is good for that many miles, the rest of the truck will still be junk. I don't want a diesel and never will. Move on. I have my current truck and there is no hope of getting me to change my mind.
Then, there is no way to solve your fuel consumption problem. It is what it is
Old 04-29-2013, 08:28 AM
LawnSite Member

I get that you don't want a diesel, and that's fine. But since you seem to be a mileage junky, I'll mention this. My 2000 dodge 2500 24 valve 5 speed cummins will get up to 28 mpg on highway trips even loaded with no trailer. I use a scan gauge II which pulls info from your obdII and this scan gauge is known to be quite accurate. Now when I pull my 20ft enclosed weighing in at 10,000 lbs and driving through the stop and go city traffic, the mileage is 12-13. I am 26 and no light foot either. My repairs have been limited, and IMO if you are a mileage junky, the 5.9 cummins is the only truck to have. Imagine if you only had to pull that little trailer around with a truck that gets incredible mileage.
1999 F350 7.3 PSD flatbed
20' enclosed, 16' open, 14' dump
3 Walker MT's 48", Toro Z500 60",
Toro proline 48", Dixon ZTR 42"
Stihl small equipment
SC licensed pesticide applicator
Old 04-29-2013, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Then, there is no way to solve your fuel consumption problem. It is what it is
There-in lies the problem. I never said I had a problem. I merely commented that I noticed that the gates were causing a lot of drag. If I can make simple, inexpensive changes and increase my mileage, why not?

Old 04-29-2013, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
That closed trailer is a flat front or a V front?
Techincally a flat front but it is very rounded. Made by an off brand company seems to have more of a "bubble" on the front then others I've seen.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The purchase price when buying a diesel, higher fuel costs, higher maintenance costs, higher repair costs, can make the diesel not worth the money.

Driving a 20 mile route 5 days a week is 100 miles. 30 weeks of mowing and that is 3,000 miles.

Not a lot of fuel saved. along with the higher purchse price and fuel prices, people may never reach the break even point where the they save money buying a diesel.

Then there is more engine noise, diesel smell.

Most LCO's I see are not pulling 2,000 lbs on their trailer.

As pointed out 500,000 miles are pointless when the frame, body, fuel, brake lines, are all rusted away before diesel engine can go that far.

An 18 wheeler is going to put on an easy 130,000 miles a year and can move 80,000 lbs.

I think many people buy diesel trucks without doing all of the math to see where the break even point for them will be.

Basing a decision to buy a diesel because it is 3 seconds faster to hit 55 mph. Or a diesel can hold a grade longer before it down shifts. These factors provide braging rights, but they do not point out where the break even point is.

I googled and found that the break even point can be up to 10 years.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would bet that most LCOs are pulling more than 2000 lbs. My trailer alone is 2100 then a 3000+lb load on it.

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Blade Runners, LLC
Lawn Service Clarksville TN
Lawn Care Clarksville TN

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino
Old 04-30-2013, 05:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I thought I posted pics yesterday but apparently not. Here's some pics. I'm sorry about the fuzzy pic. My hand shakes.
Attached Images