Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-29-2013, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been doing it for 4 years ( or 5 ) and have 7 customers. 12 properties.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
I've been doing it for 4 years ( or 5 ) and have 7 customers. 12 properties.
Your effectiveness of your advertising. I've had 5 calls over the weekend for new clients. Word of mouth is the most effective, the next is the internet. The phone book is not very effective any more. Also being noted for what you do helps. Everyone I know sees me as the lawn mowing guy so when they hear of someone who needs the lawn cut they think of me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-29-2013, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I got a couple calls over the weekend. and i have done a few quotes last couple dyas. one was a 100 dollar lawn. would make up for half of the big one i lost this year.

my phone died on one of the phone calls and did not record the number. sucks but if its who i think it is he wont pay a fair price anyway.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I got a couple calls over the weekend. and i have done a few quotes last couple dyas. one was a 100 dollar lawn. would make up for half of the big one i lost this year.

my phone died on one of the phone calls and did not record the number. sucks but if its who i think it is he wont pay a fair price anyway.
How do you let your phone die in the middle of a phone call with a customer?????

I have my suspicions as to why you are no busier than you are, but I will keep them to myself.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMarshall View Post
How do you let your phone die in the middle of a phone call with a customer?????

I have my suspicions as to why you are no busier than you are, but I will keep them to myself.
It was Sunday night. didnt even realize it was going dead. not sure why i was getting a call on Sunday night anyway.

I would prefer you share them. i know how to take criticism.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

OK, my constructive criticism... I read your posts both here and on PS. You need to be more professional. From what I have read here, you have a crappy truck and shitty equipment. I know not everyone can afford brand new equipment, but at least have it looking clean and well taken care of so it doesn't break down all the time. I don't know what you personally look like or wear to work.... But professional appearance is important as well.

You let your phone go dead? My phone NEVER is dead. I have half a dozen chargers, and keep it plugged in often. No point in having a phone if people can't get ahold of you reliably. Also, and I mean no offense by this, but if you come across to a potential customer the same way you come across here, you act like you don't have a clue what you are doing. You aren't confident. You need to gain some knowledge, both in the business end of things, and the field end. In todays market, most customers want a knowledgeable and professional person to do the work. They are working too hard for their money to risk it with a fly by night who may or may not know what they are talking about.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i cant say that i do not agree with some of it. my truck needs the rust fixed above the wheel wells and a new tail light. I have been having issues with equipment, but this year i put 4 grand into my equipment. new trailer. pump motor for my mower. tube blew on my walk behind so i'v got a new tube and had to replace the tires. I finally did not have too much trouble with my plow this year. ill be going over it and rebuilding alot of it this year. next winter should be pretty smooth.

drained my bank account but i'v fixed alot of the problems that i'v been having. i'v also paid an artist to make me a custom logo and bought shorts and industrial shirts. just waiting to have the logo put on the shirts. 2 weeks turned into a month and half on those...

hopefully i have fixed alot of the problems i have been having. as far as how i cat online, it is very different than how i act in front of customers. although i do need practice being a bit more quick and concise. i'm not the best sales guy.

make that 8 customers.

i do keep my phone plugged in most of the time. wasnt expecting a call on sunday night tho.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
i cant say that i do not agree with some of it. my truck needs the rust fixed above the wheel wells and a new tail light. I have been having issues with equipment, but this year i put 4 grand into my equipment. new trailer. pump motor for my mower. tube blew on my walk behind so i'v got a new tube and had to replace the tires. I finally did not have too much trouble with my plow this year. ill be going over it and rebuilding alot of it this year. next winter should be pretty smooth.

drained my bank account but i'v fixed alot of the problems that i'v been having. i'v also paid an artist to make me a custom logo and bought shorts and industrial shirts. just waiting to have the logo put on the shirts. 2 weeks turned into a month and half on those...

hopefully i have fixed alot of the problems i have been having. as far as how i cat online, it is very different than how i act in front of customers. although i do need practice being a bit more quick and concise. i'm not the best sales guy.

make that 8 customers.

i do keep my phone plugged in most of the time. wasnt expecting a call on sunday night tho.
Ya just know excuses are hardly ever help. I blew the drive shaft bearing on my mower that bags last fall, customer was not happy I didn't have it done in the 24 hr window I told her. She didn't care that I had to drive a hr away to my dealer parts supplier to get my parts, come back and spend the next day working my tail off to get it fixed for the day after. Anyways what happened to firearms?
Old 04-29-2013, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
Ya just know excuses are hardly ever help. I blew the drive shaft bearing on my mower that bags last fall, customer was not happy I didn't have it done in the 24 hr window I told her. She didn't care that I had to drive a hr away to my dealer parts supplier to get my parts, come back and spend the next day working my tail off to get it fixed for the day after. Anyways what happened to firearms?
Exactly. The customers don't care to hear excuses, they want the work done by someone who wont take 3 days to fix equipment, etc in between things. If you can't get it taken care of quickly in a professional manner, they will find someone who will.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

wasn't meant to be excuses. I spent 4 grand to fix all of these problems