Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-29-2000, 08:32 PM

I am in the Northeast where the postage stamp property of 50x100 or 75x100 is the average, so I am using a WB for everything and catching grass most of the time. I understand that you guys with the large properties and Dixies have no choice but mulch or let it fly, but during May and June when their are so many fungal diseases doesn't mulching just compound the problem ?
Old 06-30-2000, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Mowing and other mechanical operations on lawns does not affect disease very much. In some cases an existing disease spot can be enlarged a little by mowing equipment. Wind and water spread much more fungal spores than any mower.<br>Fungal spores are usually present, waiting for the right circumstances to become active. A disease needs three components: a pathogen, a host and the right environmental conditions to become active. <p>----------<br>Jim<br>North central Indiana
Old 07-01-2000, 06:15 AM

Groundkeeper,<br>Thank you for the only reply.<br>I think I was missunderstood. What I was asking was if you mulch or let the grass fly, won't that spread the disease more quickly than catching grass. You said yourself that wind will spread the spores. Won't cutting the diseased blades and shooting them out over the rest of the turf spread the disease?<p>Don't get me wrong, I understand the many benefits of mulching and that mulch does not contribute to thatch, but in this case I think the grass should be caught if practical. <br>Thanks again for the response.<p>Jeffyr
Old 07-01-2000, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Jeffyr,<p>I wanted to respond to this thread immediately, but I wasn't sure myself about how to answer your question. I think the simple answer is yes, mulching might aid in the spreading of fungal diseases. I think, however, that simply *mowing* helps in the spread of these diseases. I think the best bet would be to learn how to combat these diseases (chemically or otherwise) and treat them accordingly. I think there are drawbacks inherent in both mulching and bagging, but I think the benefits are greater when mulching, both to you and to the lawn!<p>-TGC
Old 07-01-2000, 01:45 PM

TG,<br>Thanks for the response. I would have to agree with you about the benefits of mulching. I have been mulching most of the time, but when the dampness promotes the disease, I catch for a few weeks, and then go back to mulching. Smal properties allow me the option to do this. A couple of picky customers want the clippings caught all the time (I've tried to educate them with no luck) so I use the catcher and Gator blades-only catches 1/2 the clippings and they are cut finer.