Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-28-2013, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Imidacloprid ?

I'd like to know if it would make a big difference whether I used the .5G product vs. the 75WSB as far as residual? I have a handful of lawns that had cases of grubs in 2012 that I would like to try to prevent this year.

My instinct tells me the .5G would be the way to go but just wondered if it mattered either way given the same rate per acre was applied?
Old 04-29-2013, 07:47 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I will be spraying mine this year. The product cost for spraying was cheaper than spreading. I will use a zspray and my machine cost are pretty close whether spread or spray.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Imidacloprid is no longer effective in my area and Bayer hasn't Guaranteed it for Grubs for years. We have all switched to Arena or Aloft. I am in South Florida and we don't have the Chinch Bug resistances that Central Florida has. However My Area does seem to be the Grub Capital.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Here is some good, updated info regarding chemical treatments in the North East.

http://extension.umass.edu/turf/fact...e-grub-control

Insecticide Resistance?
So far we have not seen any evidence of white grubs developing resistance to the neonicotinoids, in spite of the pattern of repeated use throughout the Northeast. However, it does appear that the “window of opportunity” for applying imidacloprid when targeting white grubs is shorter than it used to be. In other words, when Merit™ was first available, applications in early May remained active well into autumn and provided excellent control of white grubs. But imidacloprid does not appear to have as long a residual activity against grubs now. Applications of imidacloprid made before early June may not provide the anticipated level of control of the late summer grubs that we saw in the 1990s. As discussed, recent field trials suggest that chlothianidin and thiamethoxam have longer residual activity than does imidacloprid.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 04-29-2013, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Thanks for the info guys. Grubs are not really a problem here, or at least they haven't been.

Certainly not a pest I have ever applied a preventative for like is done in the northeast or even Florida.

I only had a handful of cases late summer/early fall last year but all required Dylox to control and none of them had much time to recover from the damage.

My thought is they are likely to target these lawns again this season and I might be able to prevent damage again this year
Old 04-29-2013, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted putnam View Post
Thanks for the info guys. Grubs are not really a problem here, or at least they haven't been.

Certainly not a pest I have ever applied a preventative for like is done in the northeast or even Florida.

I only had a handful of cases late summer/early fall last year but all required Dylox to control and none of them had much time to recover from the damage.

My thought is they are likely to target these lawns again this season and I might be able to prevent damage again this year
What is going to be your timing for app? As you know I'm new to the bug thing.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
What is going to be your timing for app? As you know I'm new to the bug thing.
I'm thinking 2-3 weeks from now. I'm seeing June Bugs collect around my exterior garage lights in the evening. Not great numbers yet...but a few.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That is a good indicator. My indicator is when I see BTA(black turfgrass Ataenius) at night around lights.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 04-29-2013, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
That is a good indicator. My indicator is when I see BTA(black turfgrass Ataenius) at night around lights.
I have a bank that I treat that gets those in one strip of zoysia that just so happens to have the spot lights that shine on the American flag and also has a lit up ATM sign. Its the only property I've ever seen them on. They'll devastate the turf in that one strip if I don't treat for them each year.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Turn out the lights. The party's over.
Posted via Mobile Device