Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-29-2013, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Also rich people get rich by using other people to make their money. You'll never become wealthy by yourself in the landscape business. You just aren't able to do enough labor by yourself to become rich. and there is a balancing point on how big to get before its not worth the headache. To me, I would feel successful with two trucks, 4 guys and 100-125 weekly accounts. I could handle that and I'm sure I'd live a pretty good life with that income.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-29-2013, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Tell the customers with the small gates you need to have a small gate surcharge.

You need to have a pricing structure where is you charge $30 for a .25 acre/11,000 sf. You can not be charging $30 for a .5 acre/22,000 sf.

You need to not only have prices for .25, .5, and .75 acre but for every 1,000 sf between those units.

Say a 1/4 - 11,000 sf, and .5 acre - 22,000 sf, has a price difference of $10. So a 16,000 sf property should be charged $35.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmarkking View Post
Also rich people get rich by using other people to make their money. You'll never become wealthy by yourself in the landscape business. You just aren't able to do enough labor by yourself to become rich. and there is a balancing point on how big to get before its not worth the headache. To me, I would feel successful with two trucks, 4 guys and 100-125 weekly accounts. I could handle that and I'm sure I'd live a pretty good life with that income.
Posted via Mobile Device
Those better be huge accounts. You'd be bankrupt in 2 months if those were normal sized accounts.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 04-30-2013, 08:05 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Why do you say that?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-30-2013, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Why do you say that?
Posted via Mobile Device
Do the math, my friend. Do the math.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 04-30-2013, 08:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive done the math, so please Explain your math.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-30-2013, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Ive done the math, so please Explain your math.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm out the door in 10 minutes, but I'll explain later. Figure out what you think an average price for a lawn would be in your area. Also figure out what wage you would be paying each of those 4 guys. That will be a good starting point.

There's also a great thread by PROCUT on here explaining this all. Search for that too if you have the time.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 04-30-2013, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I said, I've already done the math, explain yours
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-30-2013, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Its all about numbers! I would think that for a mow blow and go operation it defiantly could be a challenge to see much profit with those prices. In my opinion mowing gets your foot in the door for all the other services you should be upselling. There is money sitting around in every yard. You just have to convince the customer you are the one for the job. Also Craigslist is full of people who will cut for 30$ or less. You need to separate yourself and your company from that stereotype. Do you cut grass for cash, or do you run a quality focused lawncare operation? Don't get me wrong I have pulled a few keepers from the CL pond when I first got started. After I started pre-qualifying my calls I realized there was few customers there in my target demographic. For the most part the people who call CL adds are only looking for the cheapest price. I want the ones who want the nicest lawn and know it's not cheap. Although I am a part-time LCO I am in your same predicament as far as being maxed out and finding help goes. Everytime I try someone out I end up having to go behind them and do it myself so essentially im paying a guy to watch me work while I end up spending more time than if I were solo. Thus cutting the yard for little to no profit. Helpers are great for sure when you are doing alot of manual labor but when they don't cut down on mowing time then it is a wasted expense. Unless you have the patience and bankroll to wait till they get better. The easiest and first place to look for to maximizing profit is to take a look at all the variables that you can control. Like efficiency on lawns, efficiency on your route, preventative maintenance on your machines to keep repairs to a minimum, learn to fix your own equipment when it does breakdown, dollar menu lunches, and especially the price you charge. If those areas are as tight as possible then you need to look in other harder to find areas to make more profit. I'm sure the 30 you charge covers your overhead and allows you some profit, but think about it 35 is still fair and bam there is 5 more bux of profit. If you do quality work people won't mind another 5er. Especially on a .5 acre lot.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-30-2013, 04:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

whats the prices of these 100 to 125 lawns?