Register free!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-29-2013, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

"I have my own dethatcher, it's ok!" lol

Was doing doing some work in my area and decided to go talk to this next door guy see if I could help him out with my services and equipment. He had a pretty healthy KGB lawn but was suffering from very large amount of dead clippings. (I know clippings decomposed over time but his was just going to take an extra 3 weeks to decomposed) So I was going to dethatch it, setting my flail blades higher so its actually just a gentle power rake. His grass was about already 2.5" in height. We had some very very nice weather so the grass has like a 2 weeks advantage over weeds, dandelions are starting to bloom slowly. His grass was nice but could of been thicker. So anyways he said:

"I have my own dethatcher sir, it's ok, I do it myself, I don't need your service"

LOL

Pass by again a couple a hours ago to the next job. He was cutting his grass and his mower was set to the lowest, something like 1" in height.

Like wtf where you thinking? Your grass was already in advance, nice and thick, should of left it like that. Dandelions will be out in no time. To me it just seems like a very thin lawn that weeds have plenty of space to infiltrate. Correct me if im wrong but I believe KBG is more healthy and weed resistance when it is kept at 3" if not more. When it is 1" tall in the weeds season, your going to end up with a weak grass and lots of space for weeds.

He is not the only one, I have seen a couple other guys doing that too lol.
Complete lawn care services