Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-30-2013, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

It's only lowballing until you are starving, then suddenly it all makes sense.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowinginva View Post
I used to live in NJ, and my brother still lives there. When we mention to him about getting into lawn care, he mentions about how many others there are in it and all the competition you would have. I've wondered though if you could still do well if you worked hard and completed your jobs well. I didn't get into it 'til I moved down here to VA, so I don't know how it is up there. Yeah, more competition but more people to work for. Here in VA, there are less people and less competition.
Where in va? There is a lot of competitions in my neck of the woods. Only a handful of big companies but lots of solos and people just trying to makes some extra money.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-30-2013, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseysmowing View Post
Where in va? There is a lot of competitions in my neck of the woods. Only a handful of big companies but lots of solos and people just trying to makes some extra money.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm in Richlands, VA which is waaaay down in the southwest corner of the state, about 2 1/2 hours southwest of Roanoke and about 1 1/2 hours from the TN state line. Like you, we only have a few "big" and "professional" companies (if you can call them big). Especially with the economy the way it is, there are also a lot of solos and other people helping to keep the prices low. I used to own an LLC with my siblings but now only solo parttime. From my experience, I have found that if you do a good job, are dependable, and price reasonably, you can do very well here. There aren't too many professionals here, so if you conduct yourself professionally, you have an advantage. I have often wondered what it would be like owning a lawn care business in a more urban area such as in NJ where I used to live - how it would compare to here.

Exmark Turf Tracer hp 48" w/ mulch kit and sulky
Husqvarna 326LX trimmer
Stihl handheld blower
Old 05-01-2013, 12:37 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
From my experience, I have found that if you do a good job, are dependable, and price reasonably, you can do very well here. There aren't too many professionals here, so if you conduct yourself professionally, you have an advantage.
Same thing applies in the big city.
Show up on time, do a good job, charge a reasonable rate, and behave yourself.
Don't really need to know much of anything else.

Last edited by herler; 05-01-2013 at 12:43 AM.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I'm in Richlands, VA which is waaaay down in the southwest corner of the state, about 2 1/2 hours southwest of Roanoke and about 1 1/2 hours from the TN state line. Like you, we only have a few "big" and "professional" companies (if you can call them big). Especially with the economy the way it is, there are also a lot of solos and other people helping to keep the prices low. I used to own an LLC with my siblings but now only solo parttime. From my experience, I have found that if you do a good job, are dependable, and price reasonably, you can do very well here. There aren't too many professionals here, so if you conduct yourself professionally, you have an advantage. I have often wondered what it would be like owning a lawn care business in a more urban area such as in NJ where I used to live - how it would compare to here.
I'm a hour north of roanoke. From what I have seen in my area I'm one of the only ones who wears a uniform, has a logo and slogan, and keeps there equipment clean. I've given only 4 quotes this season and land 1 so far. I know my prices are high than a lot of solos but just a little under the bigger llc. Left a quote yesterday that the lady had another company mow at. I had to ask who did because it was over the top horrible looking. She wouldnt tell me the name but if I get the job it will be on higher quality services and being professional. It is hard to find quality clients in my area. Most people just want it shorter for less. This being my second year I am trying to brand my business and find the quality clients over the large number of I just want it for cheaper clients.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-01-2013, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
Same thing applies in the big city.
Show up on time, do a good job, charge a reasonable rate, and behave yourself.
Don't really need to know much of anything else.
That's kind of what I figured.

Husqvarna 326LX trimmer
Stihl handheld blower
Old 05-01-2013, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseysmowing View Post
I'm a hour north of roanoke. From what I have seen in my area I'm one of the only ones who wears a uniform, has a logo and slogan, and keeps there equipment clean. I've given only 4 quotes this season and land 1 so far. I know my prices are high than a lot of solos but just a little under the bigger llc. Left a quote yesterday that the lady had another company mow at. I had to ask who did because it was over the top horrible looking. She wouldnt tell me the name but if I get the job it will be on higher quality services and being professional. It is hard to find quality clients in my area. Most people just want it shorter for less. This being my second year I am trying to brand my business and find the quality clients over the large number of I just want it for cheaper clients.
Posted via Mobile Device
Some of what you are saying sounds similar to my area. The coal mining has prospered our area somewhat so that helps but there are many people who are on "fixed incomes" and are searching for the cheapest price. Yes, and cut it short too. We grew slowly but steadily so don't despair if you aren't growing in leaps and bounds. Sometimes it's better to grow at a rate you can sustain. One mistake we made was when the economy began to slump, we didn't drop our prices until we had lost a few lawns that could have still been profitable at a lower price. We were getting top dollar for lawns but then the downturn began. But even with lower income, you can still do well in this business. Of course, you just can't always compete with the "lowballers" that pop up in this day and age. My story is a long one, but most of the lawns I have now are ones we used to cut as an LLC before my siblings moved out of the area. If you build trust, you tend to keep your customer base an establish new just by word of mouth. I wish you well with your business.

Husqvarna 326LX trimmer
Stihl handheld blower
Old 05-01-2013, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Being that this is partime right now growing slow is the only way to go. I'm sure I could go out and get a pile of lawns for 35 a piece and do a sub par job. In the end still be making the same profit but being happier with the quality of my work. I'm only a few lawns away from being booked solid for a solo PT. good luck to you!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-01-2013, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&L View Post
But most importantly, don't let a few lost bids get you down. If you're landing 20%, you just need to give more estimates.

This could go down as the most intelligent post made on any internet forum today.