Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-30-2013, 06:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Tie downs for your Chopper, safety chains on your ramps...Richard everything you do is top notch!
Old 04-30-2013, 06:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro 455 View Post
Tie downs for your Chopper, safety chains on your ramps...Richard everything you do is top notch!
I do try to do everything the right way while making it as efficient as possible. I do want to put a safety chain from the front of the trailer to the front of the Dixie just in case, you know? The chain doesn't have to be tight. Just enough to grab the Dixie in case something happens to the Fastraps. Not having any kind of tailgate does make me a bit nervous.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
The purchase price when buying a diesel, higher fuel costs, higher maintenance costs, higher repair costs, can make the diesel not worth the money.

Driving a 20 mile route 5 days a week is 100 miles. 30 weeks of mowing and that is 3,000 miles.

Not a lot of fuel saved. along with the higher purchse price and fuel prices, people may never reach the break even point where the they save money buying a diesel.

Then there is more engine noise, diesel smell.

Most LCO's I see are not pulling 2,000 lbs on their trailer.

As pointed out 500,000 miles are pointless when the frame, body, fuel, brake lines, are all rusted away before diesel engine can go that far.

An 18 wheeler is going to put on an easy 130,000 miles a year and can move 80,000 lbs.

I think many people buy diesel trucks without doing all of the math to see where the break even point for them will be.

Basing a decision to buy a diesel because it is 3 seconds faster to hit 55 mph. Or a diesel can hold a grade longer before it down shifts. These factors provide braging rights, but they do not point out where the break even point is.

I googled and found that the break even point can be up to 10 years.

We aren't having a diesel vs gas debate on this thread too. Plenty of other threads that cover all the info on that. Simply was sharing my mileage experience.
1999 F350 7.3 PSD flatbed
20' enclosed, 16' open, 14' dump
3 Walker MT 48", Toro Z500 60",
Toro proline 48", Dixon ZTR 42"
Stihl small equipment
SC licensed pesticide applicator
Old 04-30-2013, 08:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sooner or later you'll be glad you tied those ramps down like that Richard. It's a scary feeling when one tries to slide out off the trailer while you're still on it.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Sooner or later you'll be glad you tied those ramps down like that Richard. It's a scary feeling when one tries to slide out off the trailer while you're still on it.
Every time I move the Dixie the whole rig rocks back and forth. There was no way I was going to do this without something holding the ramps in place. The chain (2/0 size), bolts, nuts and washers came to about $20. Pretty cheap for the insurance they provide. Chaining them down also keeps someone from seeing them on the trailer while I'm not looking, and easily making them theirs.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by precision8m View Post
We aren't having a diesel vs gas debate on this thread too. Plenty of other threads that cover all the info on that. Simply was sharing my mileage experience.
Tell that to the people that brought diesel into a discussion in this thread on how the tall gates on the back of landscape trailers effect gas mileage.

Simply sharing my experience.