Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-30-2013, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Member

The dreaded "Cease all work" sign

I can't help but get ticked off with this one.

Job is a retaining wall using fancy faced mafia block. I call the inspector before applying. No issues when I say the blocks are 2400lbs and large faced.i took a look and couldn't see anything saying what I couldn't use.

Site this morning has a pretty orange stop sign. Apparently the city doesn't allow wall face per block or rock to exceed 1 sqr foot

no call back from the inspector I spoke to previously all day.

What's the next step? Return the block?(100 of them) keep waiting? Go sit down there at the inspectors office?

Can't say this leaves a good first impression..
Old 04-30-2013, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Member

I`d go down and talk with them, and I would be polite and emphasize you are trying to learn etc....These enforcement people will be there your whole life---maybe not the same people--but the same organization.....I also wouldn`t try and get the person you spoke to in any compromised situation, as these people have a tendency to stick together.....I know you may not like to be this way, but in the longer term you have to work with them, so it is better to make an effort.....Tony
Old 04-30-2013, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Run over the sign or light it on fire. Blame the screwed up youth for the "accidental demise" of the sign.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-01-2013, 07:45 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impact-Vector View Post
I can't help but get ticked off with this one.

Job is a retaining wall using fancy faced mafia block. I call the inspector before applying. No issues when I say the blocks are 2400lbs and large faced.i took a look and couldn't see anything saying what I couldn't use.

Site this morning has a pretty orange stop sign. Apparently the city doesn't allow wall face per block or rock to exceed 1 sqr foot

no call back from the inspector I spoke to previously all day.

What's the next step? Return the block?(100 of them) keep waiting? Go sit down there at the inspectors office?

Can't say this leaves a good first impression..
If the inspector does not call then take a copy of the letter and go too the permit office and ask for a copy of the code that you are in violation of. Alot of cities in Ga are starting too require permits too build retaining walls and each one has there own policies. Did you have too get a permit for this wall?
Old 05-01-2013, 08:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWJ Services View Post
If the inspector does not call then take a copy of the letter and go too the permit office and ask for a copy of the code that you are in violation of. Alot of cities in Ga are starting too require permits too build retaining walls and each one has there own policies. Did you have too get a permit for this wall?
I did. It's a 500sqr ft face wall. 5 ft tall.

I'll give it a try. At this point the guy not calling me back is costing me money.

I'll try be nice let see what happens
Old 05-01-2013, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
I did. It's a 500sqr ft face wall. 5 ft tall.

I'll give it a try. At this point the guy not calling me back is costing me money.

I'll try be nice let see what happens
If it was permited and the block was described in the permit and the permit was issued accordingly then the inspector just plain dropped the ball. I would be at the office when they opened asking too see the supervisor. I would still be extremely polite but I would need a resolution immediatly. I assume your in the metro Atlanta area so I will bet there are larger blocks used in that City. I always have been told that a wall over 4 foot would require a PE too design?
Old 05-01-2013, 09:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Then there is the Henry doesn't know what Paul is doing syndrome...In 30 years doing this, i've run into all sorts of characters but as stated above....BE POLITE!

Know your regs is the best. Have any kind of manufacture info handy.

I've had cases where I know the State water code better than what the City inspectors will tell you to do, but it still boils down to you have to follow your local code.

I will be honest about something, sometimes its about putting the money in city coffers than actual safety concerns.

John
Old 05-01-2013, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Member

I called the guy this morning and he was pretty cool. He said he would come out and meet me later today to discuss; He didnt think it was major and said to prep for work to proceed.

Im a massive fan of face to face. Shake a mans hand and look him in the eye will get you what you want in most cases! Hiding behind a phone or keyboard is not a social skill we need more of!
Old 05-01-2013, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
I called the guy this morning and he was pretty cool. He said he would come out and meet me later today to discuss; He didnt think it was major and said to prep for work to proceed.

Im a massive fan of face to face. Shake a mans hand and look him in the eye will get you what you want in most cases! Hiding behind a phone or keyboard is not a social skill we need more of!
You are right.. I tend to be an email guy because I like a paper trail but you are right.. just talking face to face and shooting the breeze tends to bridge gaps a lot quicker than anything else.
Good luck getting it resolved. Your scenario is why I don't like to work inside the city limits. I feel like an alien.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 05-06-2013, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Update- Had the city engineer out. He said there was a misunderstanding and pulled the sign.

All is good!