Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-30-2013, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Lesco 48" Hydro spindle problem?

I just bought my first mower. It is a 48" lesco hydro with 1200 hours on it. The mower had been sitting for a while and when your turn the blades on there is a loud squealing. One of the spindles was frozen at first and need to be turned by hand the get it started. Also one spindle wont take any grease in. Can I just replace the bearings or do I need all new spindles?
Thanks
Old 05-01-2013, 12:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If this Lesco was built by MTD as I assume, You can replace the bearings and seals instead of the whole assembly......

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 05-01-2013, 01:05 PM
LawnSite Member

How can I tell if it was built by mtd?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-01-2013, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by transam99 View Post
How can I tell if it was built by mtd?
Posted via Mobile Device
Can you post a picture of the spindle ? Lesco use 2 different types of spindles on their walk behind. if you can not post a picture, at least what year the lesco was made. The more info the better the easier for me to post the part numbers and any cross overs I have.

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic

RTFM What a concept

Old 05-02-2013, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

transam99, here is what I got. If you have the old style, the one with the large nut, the bearing crosses out to a Timkin 15118. It's a tapered bearing, like what you might put in your trailer. The race is a Timkin 15245 and the seal is a 16246.

If you have the new style, with the spline, I have not yet had one fail, so I have nothing crossed over

Last year I priced out the old style spindle, $245, that is if any are still around, New style are $120.

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic

RTFM What a concept

Old 05-05-2013, 05:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Old 05-05-2013, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Member

How hard is it to replace the bearing. Also what is the part number for the new spindle there are so many to choose from. Thanks
Old 05-05-2013, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Yea, you have the old style spindle. Take the 1/4 by 1/4 key off, there should be a washer with a tab on it that you will need to bend down to take the nut off, take the nut and washer off and the spindle shaft should come out with the tap of a hammer.

The spindle shaft should have a shield attached to the bottom, some times they come apart, they are only peened on the shaft....

Remove the seals from the spindle housing and the bearings are right there. There should also be a spacer in between them.

Inspect the spindle shaft, some times the bearing will seize up but the shaft will keep moving. If the shaft is damaged, you should replace it.

I'll post some numbers for you tomorrow when I get out of the shop.

RTFM What a concept

Old 05-05-2013, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Member

ok Ill give it a try tonight. I had to take a grinder to the top to get it to slide off. Did I damage it to much or can I still use this?
Old 05-05-2013, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
ok Ill give it a try tonight. I had to take a grinder to the top to get it to slide off. Did I damage it to much or can I still use this?
Just so I'm clear, what did you grind ? What did you take off ?

RTFM What a concept