Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-30-2013, 04:14 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Maybe my jd dealer has no clue how to adjust the governor properly or something. I really dont know. I know I ran both mowers the same as I do my own machines and both would loose rpm and start slowing down going up inclines. I have the same 25hp kohler on our 160Z and that mower only has 10cc hydro pumps and motors but inclines or deep grass doesnt even phase it. The 31hp on our 460 is just ridiculous. I wish I had gotten the 29hp efi kohler instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
PSC is the only person on here that I have ever seen say that they thought the Deere Z's are power hungry. I have owned a few now and I don't think so at all. I have run other brands and I can't see where the Deere is any different. Maybe the Gravely's are just very easy on the engine. I know the new 400 series are excellent machines and most likely my next mower when the time comes, especially with the new deck design with the wider chute opening.

I run the Z950A and it is a beast. Tons of power and cuts like a banshee, but before this one I had a Z720 with the 25 Kohler that is now rated at 21.9 or 22.5 depending on the source, and it ran the 60" deck with ease. I have heard from others with the same machine who think so as well. Lately there's been a guy posting here and aksing about the same machine I had (720A). He went ahead and bought one that was NOS last year, and has run it through tall thick grass with no complaints of lack of power, and he has some pretty good hills on his place he said. He said he thought it was a beast. The thread shouldn't be that far back because we were chatting here either last week or the week before.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 04-30-2013, 05:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
Maybe my jd dealer has no clue how to adjust the governor properly or something. I really dont know. I know I ran both mowers the same as I do my own machines and both would loose rpm and start slowing down going up inclines. I have the same 25hp kohler on our 160Z and that mower only has 10cc hydro pumps and motors but inclines or deep grass doesnt even phase it. The 31hp on our 460 is just ridiculous. I wish I had gotten the 29hp efi kohler instead.
Is it still really sucking down fuel, or has it at least gotten a little better? When the time comes for me to buy a new Z, it'll be the 460, but it'll have the same engine I have now- FX850 or an efi/dfi version of it. I know Kawi is making it in DFI right now, but I think EFI would be better.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Is it still really sucking down fuel, or has it at least gotten a little better? When the time comes for me to buy a new Z, it'll be the 460, but it'll have the same engine I have now- FX850 or an efi/dfi version of it. I know Kawi is making it in DFI right now, but I think EFI would be better.

It drinks gas like its going out of style.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-30-2013, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
For that price you can get a gravely 160Z which comes standard with a michigan suspension seat and the gravely is not a power hungry power robbing mower like the deere mowers are.
originally i was pretty set on a 160, but my gravely dealer has not treated me well with parts/service. Also the deere is a much more solid machine. In person you can really see how the deere is in a different class, it looks twice as big. So far ive only heard 2 people say the 710/915b is underpowered and 10-20 people say it has plenty
Old 04-30-2013, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Also got a new quote today, $6999 no sales tax sounds like i'll be getting one in the next few weeks unless the engine is down on power
Old 04-30-2013, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsden&Son View Post
Just watched an old deere video and the deere efi's actually look pretty cool.... I am a Walker guy and debate with people all the time but there is just something about deere that is appealing to me... I think that most of the guys I talk to that have them really like the deck design and that is something that I study a lot... Anybody out there have a 900 series deere efi?
i ran a z925m 24.6hp kohler efi for about a week as a loaner mower. it had a 54" deck.

it ran really smooth. it still had the same problem as mine did when i ran factory blades. it does fine until you hit the thick wet stuff then it bogs down pretty bad. i'm talking about 2 weeks of spring growth weeds and all. during normal conditions it's fine.

putting G6 blades on the deere makes it a completely different machine. i keep telling people this. i can mow through anything since i change to the G6 blades a year or so ago without bogging down.

i'm sure people running the larger engine deeres don't have this issue at all but if you are running an engine 27hp or less then i would say it is absolutely necessary to run G6 blades and not use the factory high lift blades.

the factory blades work fine until you hit the thick/wet stuff and then they just bog the engine down really bad. the G6 blades cure this problem. they put less drag on the engine.