Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-01-2013, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Blowout 52" RH

I'm getting alot of front blowout on my 2009 52" rapid height 19hp. This is my first season with this machine.

Current deck and blade setup is:
Brand New Stock Wright Blades
2 spacers above each blade. 1 Washer below
Front wheels have 1 spacer on top and 1 spacer on bottom of castor.
I'm cutting at 3.00 - 3.25.

I'm cutting alot of different grass this time of year from thick lush bluegrass to thinned out weed infested lawns and I'm constantly getting blowout.

Is there anything I can do with the spacers to make it better?

Also is there a hi lift or super hi lift that is recommended? I'm having to do a lot of double cutting because of clipping dispersal.

Thanks
Old 05-02-2013, 08:36 AM
Sponsor

Cut It Close,

Have you checked the pitch of the cutter deck? Make sure the tire pressures are the same and take a blade tip measurement with an operator on the mower. Does the deck have the discharge baffel installed? Any high lift that is 18" long and has a 5/8" blade bolt hole can be used.

Best Regards
Wright Mfg.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Haven't had time to measure. I'll try and get measurements this weekend. No baffle. I do have a mulch kit but not installed. How much is the deck baffle? tires are even with 20psi. The front tires I guess are flatless no tubes or stem?

I have a question about the rapid height lever. When I put the detent pin in the 3.00 hole and drop the lever till it hits it does that mean it's cutting at 3.00? I'm getting complaints from customers about cut quality from last year. previous years I used a 48" bobcat ztr same engine with hi lifts that left a great cut. I'm thinking maybe the stander is cutting to high?

Last edited by Cut It Close; 05-03-2013 at 08:49 AM.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:35 PM
Sponsor

Cut It Close,

The baffle is around $185 and closes off the front of the deck and defines the cut chambers more. If the deck pitch is off it will contribute to the blow out and the cut quality. I would check the deck pitch, if tire pressures have been lowered make sure someone is on the mower when the pitch is checked as operator weight will drop the back of the mower down if the tire pressures have been lowered. If the deck pitch is flat or negative that needs to be corrected because even the high lifts won't perform their best with the pitch not correct.

Best Regards
Wright Mfg.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I took the baffle off of my 52 X and now get a ton of blowout but with it on there it clumps and leaves stringers like crazy in the dense spring growth. Anything I can do to alleviate this? Cuts fine with the blowout but its a pain that I almost have to stop and clear the cooling screen on the motor an hydros of grass and leaves every couple minutes
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-06-2013, 09:33 AM
Sponsor

kawakx125,

Not uncommon in parts of the midwest to remove the baffle in the spring to open the deck up but one of the reasons the baffle is in the deck is to prevent blowout. You can try running a little more pitch on the deck.

Best Regards
Wright Mfg.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

it may do ok in the summer when grass is drier and growth is slower but even weekly cuts are pretty tall this time of year and the moisture content is really high. the biggest problem i have with the blowout is clogging the screen on top of motor and hydro pump fans. how much pitch would you recommend?
Old 05-06-2013, 10:05 AM
Sponsor

kawakx125,

Usually 1/8" to 3/8" or 1/2" is the accepted pitch range, outside of that you will usually start to see issues. Try going to 3/8".

Best Regards
Wright Mfg.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

it's set at 1/4'' right now, i will try 3/8'' and see if that works better. am i better off raising the back or dropping the front? as it sits now the front is dead on at 3'' if i have mower set to 3''
Old 05-07-2013, 07:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

what if you were to build a baffle like the stock one, but instead put the lip where it bolts onto deck on the other side of baffle, to move it forward some. would that still help with blowout but still maintain a more open deck for wet or very thick conditions? has that been tried at all?