Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-06-2013, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy123 View Post
Okay...what about for trimming around landscape edges/trees, etc.?
That's a better application situation for these products. Its can save a significant amount of trim time. A judicious mix of regulator where appearence matters and Gly app where it appearence is less important enhances the cost savings further. Around trees and beds its PGR, fencelines and hardscape its gly sometimes spiked with Imazapyr for a little lasting ability. A little Scythe makes for quick cleanup up of overgrown stone areas and open beds.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Patriot Services; 03-06-2013 at 09:12 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah that was the main reason I posted the thread. So you have found that it works well in this situation?

How often would you reapply the product?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-06-2013, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy123 View Post
Yeah that was the main reason I posted the thread. So you have found that it works well in this situation?

How often would you reapply the product?
Posted via Mobile Device
I get 2 to 3 monthes of effiacy then it drops to 6 weeks in the summer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-06-2013, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow! Even 6 weeks definitely cuts out a lot of hours trimming. I've asked other lawn care owners in my area about this and I haven't found anyone that uses it. I wonder why...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-06-2013, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ive heard talk on here and been given samples of: Edge less PGR. Hasn't used yet but boy would it be nice to edge once every six weeks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-07-2013, 08:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Bear in mind you have to be licensed for pesticides to apply this product. Realistically it just didn't save enough time to justify its cost on turf. Bushes and hedges, it makes me money as we have several species that almost need weekly trimming without a PGR.
Side note a lot of talk has been going on about using PGR's to encourage lateral growth in warm season turf.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-07-2013, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

This has been our goal: lateral growth and seed head suppression on Bermuda. I've gotten the lateral growth down pat, but the seed head suppression has been spotty. I'm guessing you are going to have patches that won't be suppressed in most lawns. Regardless, we have done some slopes, rough accounts, and small island areas that require extreme angle mowing or string trimming, and made these areas either monthly or every 3 weeks before we have to mow. Trial and error, and about 2 years of experiments, but it has saved significantly on our labor on these accounts. I'm working on some PGR products For this spring similar to the "edge less" and I intend to make a post describing my glyphosate experiments and results.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-02-2013, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've been using them for 2 years now. I finally decided to try them after fighting the surge growth in the spring combined with what seemed like endless rain. I really like them. I figure it costs me $60 acre for the product. I seem to get 4-6 weeks of controlled growth in that amount of time. By that I mean I might come back after a week and only see about 1.5 to 2 inches of new growth. For me it's more of peace of mind. I can't control the rain and it kills me to have to fight 6 inch tall grass each week. I'm double cutting and when it is wet it looks like crap. PGR's have helped me with all these issues. I know when I come back to the lawn I won't be fighting a jungle and even if it's raining I know I can cut it and make it look good. We use it on bluegrass and fescue lawns.

I've used Podium and T-Pac in the past. I'm curious as to how well Embark works?? It is considerably cheaper and work use it if I found it produced the same result.
2 Walkers
2 Toro Z Masters
1 Scag Tiger Cub
1 Lastec 28hp 61"
Trucks, trailers, and lots of trimmers, blowers
Old 05-21-2013, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart may View Post
I've been using them for 2 years now. I finally decided to try them after fighting the surge growth in the spring combined with what seemed like endless rain. I really like them. I figure it costs me $60 acre for the product. I seem to get 4-6 weeks of controlled growth in that amount of time. By that I mean I might come back after a week and only see about 1.5 to 2 inches of new growth. For me it's more of peace of mind. I can't control the rain and it kills me to have to fight 6 inch tall grass each week. I'm double cutting and when it is wet it looks like crap. PGR's have helped me with all these issues. I know when I come back to the lawn I won't be fighting a jungle and even if it's raining I know I can cut it and make it look good. We use it on bluegrass and fescue lawns.

I've used Podium and T-Pac in the past. I'm curious as to how well Embark works?? It is considerably cheaper and work use it if I found it produced the same result.
So would you say using the regulator where you would usually weed whip would be effective? About how long would you estimate it to work in this application?
Old 05-25-2013, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It lasts longer the shorter you keep your grass, so edging that has been trimmed short I would suspect to last 5-6 weeks. This isn't to say that you won't need to go back and trim it just means you'll only be trimming about half the height you usually do. The areas that I've applied for trimming can sometimes be skipped every other week.
2 Walkers
2 Toro Z Masters
1 Scag Tiger Cub
1 Lastec 28hp 61"
Trucks, trailers, and lots of trimmers, blowers