Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-02-2013, 12:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am with Herler on this one guys...

Ok so it is safe to say you will KEEP 50% of your earnings due to taxes, overhead, expenses, etc.

So you work up north, 6 months of mowing....
You service 10 days a day, $50 per yard, that's $500 a day (gross).
You work 5 days a week, total of $2500 weekly (gross).
Your total YEARLY income is $60,000 (gross) which is $30,000 (net).

Just curious how you could raise a family, pay your bills, and grow a business on $30,000 a year. You actually qualify for welfare on that salary (household income).

Also lets talk about this "neglect your family" for a second. Most women today work full time, a lot have children. Perhaps we would live better if I sent my wife to work, but I work twice as hard so she doesn't have to. She can be home with our children.
Yes I am exhausted, but if I had to do it over again, I wouldn't change a thing. And that is HONOR - not neglect.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:07 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Simmer down naw!!! It is easily possible to live very comfortably on 35000. I have a mortgage, a family and pay my bills. Also have expensive hobbies like mountain biking and skiing as well as my son into the same. I dare you to call me a welfare family to my face!!! Just because I have intelligence with my money to say it's a welfare wage?? For reference you are generalizing so I believe you are talking to me since you are speaking in those terms. "Honor" as you say will leave you with no family and an alimony payment. Time with your family is priceless and you will never ever get that time again. So have fun working your life and family away. Don't insult people for working the best they can and actually like spending the most time they can with their family. Just because you don't understand how to maximize your dollar doesn't mean other folks are poor or don't provide.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsLocalLawn View Post
I am with Herler on this one guys...

Ok so it is safe to say you will KEEP 50% of your earnings due to taxes, overhead, expenses, etc.

So you work up north, 6 months of mowing....
You service 10 days a day, $50 per yard, that's $500 a day (gross).
You work 5 days a week, total of $2500 weekly (gross).
Your total YEARLY income is $60,000 (gross) which is $30,000 (net).

Just curious how you could raise a family, pay your bills, and grow a business on $30,000 a year. You actually qualify for welfare on that salary (household income).

Also lets talk about this "neglect your family" for a second. Most women today work full time, a lot have children. Perhaps we would live better if I sent my wife to work, but I work twice as hard so she doesn't have to. She can be home with our children.
Yes I am exhausted, but if I had to do it over again, I wouldn't change a thing. And that is HONOR - not neglect.
I work 4-5 days a week and make about what you describe here. However, I also do snow plowing in the winter. This adds 15-20k most winters (although 2 winters ago it was $0...didn't snow).

The woman also works and makes the same money. We do and buy whatever we want when we want. I have a 6 year old son. The step kids are 14 and 21 (in college).

Plenty of money.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 05-02-2013, 07:18 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I work Sundays when work spills over.

To the people saying if they don't take Sundays off their wives will leave them, loggers up north spend all week in a camp, then go home for the weekend, people working on oil rigs are away from home for a month at a time. They are providing for their family and I can't see how that is a bad thing?

To Mark Oomkes

Money isn't everything, you're right
It can't, but having it is better than worrying about not having it
Leave it to your kids
See above
No, but it will help cover the bills
One word, Prenup

Growing up my father was always working, staying in other states on construction sites, or working late in the woods. I never understood then but being older I have a greater appreciation for what he did to make sure his family was well taken care of. I hope my kids will feel the same way.......
Old 05-02-2013, 07:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
Doesn't work that way, or maybe it does...

Depends how you look at it, but in the above case I'm getting paid the entire time, to say the least that includes lunch...
You understand, I'm not just cutting grass at that rate.

So I am charging enough, just ask the guys how much they get paid for talking to a customer.
Ask them if they would talk longer if they were getting near $11 an hour.
You totally missed 32vld's point.

Still waiting for an answer to Roger's question from you guys that insist 7 days a week is absolutely necessary.

I like my guns like Obama likes his voters: Undocumented

Criminals obey gun laws like politicians follow their oaths of office
Old 05-02-2013, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It's spring.
The lawn growth is in it's hyper surge with this perfect growing weather.
I follow nature's cue, and if thats a sunday cut to stay ahead, everyone understands.
It's seasonal, it's temporary, and things always slow down as the season progresses.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:29 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi_speedreed View Post
you guys are crazy. if i had to work 7 days a week to make it I would sell it all and go back to my old job. You either have too many bills or you just love money. 3-4 days a week 5 max and that only happens a couple times a year.
Posted via Mobile Device
Who doesn't love money?
Old 05-02-2013, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
Who doesn't love money?
Me.........

I like my guns like Obama likes his voters: Undocumented

Criminals obey gun laws like politicians follow their oaths of office
Old 05-02-2013, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Don't take this post wrong, i'm not trying to be rude.

Honorable to work 7 days a week so your wife doesn't have to?

Respectful maybe, responsible, sure... but honorable is a pretty strong word. Honorable is a word reserved for Veterans, first responders, missionaries that volunteer their TIME (not money) to help others, and those that just give up their possessions and life to travel abroad to bring a better quality of life to others in 3rd world countries, not for someone that works 12 hours a day 7 days a week so their wife doesn't have to work. Lowering standards is way too common in today's world, lowering the standard for the word Honor to include someone that works overtime is a bit too much.

Working less than 12 hours a day, 7 days a week doesn't define lack of a work ethic. Lack of caring or lack of motivation.

To deny long work hours is a key factor in many divorces and relationship problems is being ignorant. Many studies have shown that the absence of a spouse due to long work hours is a key factor in relationships failing. It may not be true for some of the guys on here and other careers that work long hours, but to say it's irrelevant and doesn't apply to your relationships doesn't mean it doesn't and won't in the future. You're wife saying "even God takes a day off." is evidence it bothers her and is a problem. I'm not being rude but if problems do exist in the future due to long work hours, you can't say you had no warning, your wife saying that is a warning. There is an element of truth in every joke.

Not digging anyone, but sometimes it takes the casual eye of a third party observer to point things out.

I would love to work as much as possible, but I also love spending time with my wife and dog, I spent quite some time working 7 days a week 24 hours a day in Iraq, i'm done with that type of schedule. I'll do without without the best of everything and luxuries such as cable and name brand foods and I'll count weekends at our property in southern Missouri as vacation in exchange for more time with my wife and dog.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
As bad as it is to neglect one's business it is worse to neglect one's wife and family.
Agree, one can always hire more help in the heat of the season to get it done.