Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-02-2013, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Charge to Double Cut???

I usually side discharge and least half of my customers are so heavy on the fertilizer that in 7 -8 days im cutting off more grass than im leaving, usually cutting off at least 4 inches, the lawns are taking twice the time in the spring , double sometimes triple cutting, is it fair to charge for a double cut?
Old 05-02-2013, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Nope .... cut it once and charge them once. Tha ts the deal
Old 05-02-2013, 05:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have several lawns like this too. If you don't double cut it they'll get someone that will, though. In a month this won't be a problem any more. Grin and bear it for now.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 05-02-2013, 07:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

How long does it take you to run over the lawn the second time? Are you doing an actual double cut or are you cutting it once and then doing a cleanup cut? I've found in my case, that the cleanup cut only takes a few minutes depending on the size of the lawn.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:33 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I don't charge more to double cut. I DO charge more to bag lawns. I've had 5 out 8 new customers that want the lawn bagged each week. I priced it accordingly and they're happy, happy happy.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
I don't charge more to double cut. I DO charge more to bag lawns. I've had 5 out 8 new customers that want the lawn bagged each week. I priced it accordingly and they're happy, happy happy.
true, true... We charge about $10 more to bag if the customer has a place for the clippings, if they want it hauled off, $15-$20 more simply due to the nature of having to handle the clippings twice.

No charge to double cut, because do to extra growth in the spring. However... if customers want checker boarding...
Old 05-02-2013, 08:03 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I always charge to double cut.
Then again I always double cut.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If I have to double cut I raise the blades up a 1/4" and fly through the lawn. The first cut may take 20 minutes but to clean it up only takes about 5, maybe less. No extra charge over here
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-02-2013, 08:08 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Forgot to mention that I'm getting a dump kit for the truck bed. Once I have that finished I'm going to bag all my clients lawns. I talked with them about it last season near the end and explained that we've recycled the lawn for 5 years or more that it needs to be thatched or bagged. I asked if they would mind paying a few dollars more and so far none have said no and after bagging there lawn just the one time, they couldn't get over how nice the lawn looked. I have a hand full of customers that said they will pay to have me cut the lawn as needed which means I'm there every 5 days max when it's growing fast. I even bag the lawns! You'd think they would have tossed out a line about how "it doesn't matter how long it is if you're bagging, right?". They are not that type of customer. Most of them have OCD already so it makes it easy to sell.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I never charge to double cut a lawn during the spring. Going over the lawn the 2nd time never takes as long as the first initial cut.

I really like the idea of bagging all my lawns and I could see this really making your business unique compared to competitors if you have people willing to pay the extra for it. Here in Charlotte the majority of people side discharge and I don't think selling the idea of bagging all lawns people would pay extra for.