Register free!

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bx24 View Post
My city in MA or TX has no clue.
Then they're morons, and the whole Clean Water Act was bullshit.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
But how does anyone know you have it or not? My city in MA or TX has no clue.
Almost all states require a permit for a new install. So they know.

The old systems, I'm not sure, but they may have used the meter readers to see who had irrigation. Some of my basement taps don't receive notices.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Member

For real.... some cities dispatched workers to document residences with sprinkler heads in strategic spots. Early morning drivebys to see properties with symmetrical watering patterns on the hardscapes for those with imperfect coverage..... They can figure it out. They can compare water usage over a period of time to recognize whats up?
Old 04-28-2013, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cppendergrast View Post
some cities dispatched workers to document residences with sprinkler heads in strategic spots. Early morning drivebys to see properties with symmetrical watering patterns on the hardscapes for those with imperfect coverage..... They can figure it out. They can compare water usage over a period of time to recognize whats up?
I don't think so. Yes they could figure it out, but they wouldn't bother.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Not in my 2 state I live in. Also how does the city even know whom has systems? My water meter is in my house and the city it NOT allowed in my house unless a paper from a judge.

Here the city charges business $100 for checking it and they wanted to start charging people for testing but it was shot down.

To me it is not needed since I would need data to prove it is not 6 sigma.
Water meters remain the property of the purveyor, and they retain the right to inspect and replace them. If you want to be a hard case about allowing access, you will lose the war in order to win a battle, because the purveyor will shut off your supply, whereupon the town can declare the dwelling to be uninhabitable, which allows them to condemn the dwelling, and at no time is there ever a judge or courtroom involved.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
Water meters remain the property of the purveyor, and they retain the right to inspect and replace them. If you want to be a hard case about allowing access, you will lose the war in order to win a battle, because the purveyor will shut off your supply, whereupon the town can declare the dwelling to be uninhabitable, which allows them to condemn the dwelling, and at no time is there ever a judge or courtroom involved.
Wars were fought over water and fences not too many moons back Shoes. The wild west is still wild, they're just a little quieter and sneakier
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-28-2013, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

the tin gods of those civilized municipalities have it all worked out
Old 05-02-2013, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irritation View Post
Almost all states require a permit for a new install. So they know.

The old systems, I'm not sure, but they may have used the meter readers to see who had irrigation. Some of my basement taps don't receive notices.
Again not in MA or TX. No permits need for sprinklers. And the meters in MA are in THEIR homes basements..
Old 05-02-2013, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
Again you do not live in MA so I know m city laws. Cannot come inside my house, period. Come with police means ZERO. The water shut off is beyond the 10ft easement.

Live here and know what you are talking about in MA.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It's the civilized Northeast, bunky. They worked out this stuff long before you were born. A purveyor denied access to their water meter will shut off the service. They can even break up the pavement to get to the actual tap, if need be. That goes in every state of the union. A home without a potable water supply can and will be condemned as a municipality sees fit. A condemned dwelling can be padlocked from the outside. None of that requires any stretch of the imagination. At no time is your home ever entered, but it ceases to be your happy castle.

More local would be state and local laws concerning fines for homeowners who are being goddam nuisances. I remember reading an article about the countdown for one home that the owner was to be evicted from because it was foreclosed to satisfy the liens placed on it by the town that applied a daily fine, as was permitted by local ordinance. The homeowner never did comply with whatever local ordinance it was that began the conflict, and he had great fun painting the house flat black, and blaring rotten music from every window, after the fines piled up into five figures and foreclosure was obtained.
Closed Thread