Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-01-2013, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Member

2011 Ferris IS2000Z Clutch Problem

Hoping someone can offer some help on this issue. As the title states I have a 2011 Ferris IS2000Z with the 27hp Kawasaki and 52 inch cut. I have had the mower since new and this is the third time this clutch issue has arised. Here is the summary:

1. First time I took mower in for service because pto stopped working. Diagnosed that one of the wires going into the clutch had burnt in two. This was at 20 hours.
2. Second time pto would turn off when bogging down in deeper grass. Diagnosed clutch was bad and replaced entire assembly under warranty. This was at 45 hours.
3. Here I am now the pto has stopped working again and I looked and sure enough the positive wire going into the connector on the clutch has broke or burned off.

With all this said the mower has 75 hours on it and is now outside of the two year warranty. I need some suggestions on what to do or check. I have started looking for a bad ground but have not found anything. I'm hesitant to patch the wire and start running it because there is an underlying problem here somewhere that keeps getting overlooked.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Matt
Old 05-02-2013, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Matt,

Check the torque on the clutch mount bolt, It's possible to over tighten one and cause binding which can burn wires and the clutch up.

Torque should be 65-70 ft.lbs......
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 05-02-2013, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I saw an is2500 brand new 2 days ago having the exact same problem as this! Whenever cutting into thick grass the PTO would cut off. Dont know what the problem was but sounds like could be the same wire problem your having.

I shrugged it off thinking it would be an isolated problem, but sounds like its more common than I thought.

Mate I would take it back to your dealer & they should honour this under warranty, how far out of warranty is it? You would also have a guarentee on the workman ship of the dealer, they should have fixed it the first time, so now your having the same problem its up to them to fix it. Make a point when dropping it off that you wont be paying...
Old 05-02-2013, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Being that you had this same problem during your warranty period, it doesnt matter that the warranty has lapst. You wont have to pay for it, so def consider taking it back and having them fix it properly this time! goodluck
Old 05-03-2013, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank you for the advice.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Is the wire broken or is it burned off? This will help diagnose what the actual problem is. If the coating is burned along a length of the wire, it has been shorted somewhere for a length of time under heavy amperage load or the wiring is too small for the load to begin with. I would assume the wire is the correct size since it is factory. The blades/PTO disengaging makes me think there is an issue with the clutch itself or the air gap adjustment and is causing the wire to burn.

Is the shop checking the air gap on the clutch when they install it? Are they checking to make sure the wiring is not shorting out at the connection points and that it has enough slack that it isn't being stretched when the deck is engaged? I would be questioning what the shop is doing because they obviously haven't ID'd the cause and are just changing out parts.

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Blade Runners, LLC
Lawn Service Clarksville TN
Lawn Care Clarksville TN

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino