Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-02-2013, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

All I know is when RAlmaroad and Greendoctor give advice, you can be sure its good advice. Roy knows Centipede for damn sure and Greendoc knows his stuff as well.

If they say that there's a problem with chlorine content with the use of potassium chloride, I believe them. From my own personal experience, I know Centipede is touchy about a lot of things so a "chronic" problem such as this wouldn't surprise me in the least.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamlicoLawnCare View Post
Lesco 15-0-15 or Fertilome 15-0-15 for Centipede?

The Lesco 15-0-15 is $31.78 for a 50 lb. bag at Home Depot but the Home Depot is an hour and fifteen minutes away in Greenville, NC.

The Fertilome 15-0-15 is $24.95 for a 20 lb. bag at my local farm supply store which is 10 minutes away.

I don't know what the Lesco costs at John Deere Landscapes...does anyone know?...It is also in Greenville.

I guess it would be worth the trip for a large quantity.

Is the Lesco that much better than the Fertilome?

Is there a cheaper alternative that I might could find locally?

Thank You,

Rod
Pamlico Lawn Care, LLC
Oriental, NC

Getting back to the original Question. In order to answer your question on which Manufacturer's Blend is worth the asking Price. We need Fertilizer Labels to compare. What the Blend is derived from and the Minor Elements included make all the difference in quality and Price. Fertilizer is one produce you never get more than what you pay for. However you can get a lot less than you pay for.

I can't express enough that Fertilizer is a Commodity and not a Brand. The Fertilizer Industry is very competitive and Major Players are forever going under or changing hands. You don't have to be in this business very long to see Major name changes. Present day Agrium has had multiply name changes from it's UHS (United Horticulture Supply) name in the 1990's. Lesco is now JDL. Present day Univar actually was Van Waters and Rogers first changed to an other name I can't remember and a few years later went Back to Van Waters and Rogers. Or course after a few name changes they are Univar.

So the big point here is all 15-0-15 are not the same. Only those who study a just little Chemistry can actually See, Know or Understand those differences. Every area of the Chemical industry from Pharmacology to Fertilizer play on the ignorance of the public to inflated prices.

In Edit:

I would like to think I know my stuff, After all I taught this stuff at my local State College. However I don't post very much any more because I feel talking to My refrigerator gets a better response because when I open the door at least a light comes on.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.

Last edited by Ric; 05-02-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Be thankful that the refrigerator does not try to contradict and pick apart what you have to say.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 05-02-2013, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Be thankful that the refrigerator does not try to contradict and pick apart what you have to say.
My refrigerator is smarter than most people and stays cool.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

ric that's some funny ****....
Old 05-02-2013, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

In Edit:

I would like to think I know my stuff, After all I taught this stuff at my local State College. However I don't post very much any more because I feel talking to My refrigerator gets a better response because when I open the door at least a light comes on.

.[/QUOTE]

I know you get a lot of negative feedback & DA responses but for every 1 of those there are probably 2 or 3 that are taking in your advice but just do not reply. I for one would like to see you post more.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Getting back to the original Question. In order to answer your question on which Manufacturer's Blend is worth the asking Price. We need Fertilizer Labels to compare. What the Blend is derived from and the Minor Elements included make all the difference in quality and Price. Fertilizer is one produce you never get more than what you pay for. However you can get a lot less than you pay for.
Attached at the bottom are each of the fertilizer labels.

The K is derived from MOP in both products.

The Fertilome has more trace elements listed but is significantly more expensive. The label does not list chlorine content.

The Lesco has less trace elements and is significantly less expensive. The label lists 11.25% chorine max.

I'm not sure how you guys bill your customers, but I've always billed my customers my actual cost of the fertilizer plus my labor to put it out. That's usually a $40.00 minimum labor charge for dispersing up to 40 lbs. plus $10.00 for each additional 40 lbs., then add the cost of fertilizer.

Given the cost of these two products, I know the customer will prefer the Lesco.

I've been in this business for a while now but I had never even heard of Lesco products until a few weeks ago when I noticed Lesco was popular while perusing this site.

The local Farm Supply has always pushed the Fertilome 15-0-15 to all of us local lawn care guys and that's what we've always used.

It's good to know I can offer the customer a less expensive, professional product.

The Lesco is going to be quite a hike for me to get but I'll load up on it and make it worth the trip.

Thank You,

Rod J
Pamlico Lawn Care, LLC
Oriental, NC
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Lesco 15-0-15 Fertilizer.pdf (29.8 KB, 25 views)
File Type: pdf Fertilome 15-0-15 Centipede Lawn Fertilizer.pdf (718.9 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by PamlicoLawnCare; 05-02-2013 at 10:11 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Give Dixie Chemical in New Bern a call 252-638-1193. 50 lb. bags of 15-0-15 for $20.00 I was told today by phone. I will go tomorrow to check out the product, since it's supposed to rain again.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Member

15-0-15 costs me $24.00 at my JDL in Wilmington
Old 06-03-2013, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Give Dixie Chemical in New Bern a call 252-638-1193. 50 lb. bags of 15-0-15 for $20.00 I was told today by phone. I will go tomorrow to check out the product, since it's supposed to rain again.
Dixie Chemical?...I wish I would have known about them before I went to JDL in Greenville last week.

Let us know what the complete analysis is on Dixie Chemical's 15-0-15 when you go to check it out.

Quote:
15-0-15 costs me $24.00 at my JDL in Wilmington
I got the Lesco 15-0-15 for $20.15 from JDL in Greenville but it took me a week to get it...they said they've had trouble getting fertilizer this year.