Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #51  
Old 05-02-2013, 09:14 AM
orangemower orangemower is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: pa
Posts: 2,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post
Me.........
Unfortunately Mark you're one of the very few I've ever heard say that. Ask yourself this, would I be living in a home if I didn't have money? The list goes on. It's a matter of management that counts. Money makes the world go around. Didn't you know that? LOL
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 05-02-2013, 09:30 AM
Mark Oomkes Mark Oomkes is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 7,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
Unfortunately Mark you're one of the very few I've ever heard say that. Ask yourself this, would I be living in a home if I didn't have money? The list goes on. It's a matter of management that counts. Money makes the world go around. Didn't you know that? LOL
I had a feeling someone would respond this way.

I didn't say I don't need money, I said I don't love it. It is absolutely necessary to live. But, my goal for my business is not to make more and more and more and more money. I want to have a business that supports my family, my church, my kids' schools and my employees and their families. Have reasonably decent equipment and a decent customer list.

Sure, it would be nice to have more, a bunch more. I dream, but my life is not focused on getting more so I have to work 7 days a week and neglect my family and force employees to neglect their families, etc.

Don't get me wrong, there are times when I do work 7 days a week. This past February and even late January, I was working 7 days a week. I was working 18-20 hours a day, for the better part of a month straight. And I felt terrible "ignoring" my family as much as I did. I never even considered it to be honorable. It was something that had to be done because I can't control the weather. Spring work can be controlled to an extent. But, that also allows me to get away with them in the summer. Last summer we spent 2 weeks in Glacier and the Canadian Rockies, and yes, that took money.

But on the flip side, it was 2 weeks I could have been making more money.
__________________
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman

I like my guns like Obama likes his voters: Undocumented

Criminals obey gun laws like politicians follow their oaths of office
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 05-02-2013, 07:01 PM
jrs.landscaping's Avatar
jrs.landscaping jrs.landscaping is online now
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Maine
Posts: 2,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsLocalLawn View Post
which is $30,000 (net).

Just curious how you could raise a family, pay your bills. You actually qualify for welfare on that salary (household income).
Not to hijack the thread but this part got me thinking. How many owners pay your guys more than 30k annually? If it can't be done by the business owner, how do our employees do it?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 05-02-2013, 08:36 PM
StanWilhite StanWilhite is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Decatur AL
Posts: 1,774
Work a little, and have time off for family/fun, or work a lot, and (hopefully) have extra money to spend on whatever you want to spend it on.

I'd like to say that personally, I don't need the money.....it's just that the people I owe do!
__________________
Shut 'er down Buford....she's slangin' oil !!!!
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 05-02-2013, 11:26 PM
32vld 32vld is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: LI NY
Posts: 3,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post
You totally missed 32vld's point.

Still waiting for an answer to Roger's question from you guys that insist 7 days a week is absolutely necessary.
Earning $11 hour working all those hours. 8 hours at straight time then about 10 more hours at straight time.

Business would be bankrupt if he had to get paid time and a half for everything past 8 hours each day. At those numbers even if he had an employee his business is not generating the money to pay over time that is being worked.

Again his hourly rates appear to low.



I do snow removal. It snows. You work Sunday's, holiday's. This does not happen that often so you miss out on an occasional Sunday. There still is plenty of quality time for wife and family.


Now to be honest I mow Tue Wed and Thur. Friday is my rainout day and up sell work day. Monday is for upsell. This means I usually only work T,W,T.

The ocassional job where I need a crew I may have to work on the weekends because my 2 adult son's, and a friend of theirs is available.

So far I have worked 1 Saturday this season. This coming Saturday because of man power needs I will be working another Saturday.

So if I work the occasional Saturday or Sunday I am only working 4 days a week. Because I am not getting a steady 40 hours of work Mon through Fri I do not mind putting in some week end time.

Though if I had 4 full for days of work, M - Thr. Then Friday's for rain outs and up sell. The occasional Saturday would then become rare. Pretty much Sat's would only be for the jobs too big to do solo and the time contraints require that the job gets done in one day instead of being dragged out.

Life is a balance. Many of those that want and can work 12 hour days, 7 days a week for 6 months, quite often do not see that how their absence has a negative impact on their family.

Remember the Harry Chapin, Cat in the Craddle song?

Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 05-03-2013, 12:55 AM
StanWilhite StanWilhite is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Decatur AL
Posts: 1,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
Earning $11 hour working all those hours. 8 hours at straight time then about 10 more hours at straight time.

Business would be bankrupt if he had to get paid time and a half for everything past 8 hours each day. At those numbers even if he had an employee his business is not generating the money to pay over time that is being worked.

Again his hourly rates appear to low.



I do snow removal. It snows. You work Sunday's, holiday's. This does not happen that often so you miss out on an occasional Sunday. There still is plenty of quality time for wife and family.


Now to be honest I mow Tue Wed and Thur. Friday is my rainout day and up sell work day. Monday is for upsell. This means I usually only work T,W,T.

The ocassional job where I need a crew I may have to work on the weekends because my 2 adult son's, and a friend of theirs is available.

So far I have worked 1 Saturday this season. This coming Saturday because of man power needs I will be working another Saturday.

So if I work the occasional Saturday or Sunday I am only working 4 days a week. Because I am not getting a steady 40 hours of work Mon through Fri I do not mind putting in some week end time.

Though if I had 4 full for days of work, M - Thr. Then Friday's for rain outs and up sell. The occasional Saturday would then become rare. Pretty much Sat's would only be for the jobs too big to do solo and the time contraints require that the job gets done in one day instead of being dragged out.

Life is a balance. Many of those that want and can work 12 hour days, 7 days a week for 6 months, quite often do not see that how their absence has a negative impact on their family.

Remember the Harry Chapin, Cat in the Craddle song?

I can't believe you mentioned this song. That's exactly what I was thinking about while reading this thread! Stan
__________________
Shut 'er down Buford....she's slangin' oil !!!!
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 05-03-2013, 01:37 AM
Snyder's Lawn Inc's Avatar
Snyder's Lawn Inc Snyder's Lawn Inc is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kirksville Mo
Posts: 3,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashgrove landscaping View Post
Simmer down naw!!! It is easily possible to live very comfortably on 35000. I have a mortgage, a family and pay my bills. Also have expensive hobbies like mountain biking and skiing as well as my son into the same. I dare you to call me a welfare family to my face!!! Just because I have intelligence with my money to say it's a welfare wage?? For reference you are generalizing so I believe you are talking to me since you are speaking in those terms. "Honor" as you say will leave you with no family and an alimony payment. Time with your family is priceless and you will never ever get that time again. So have fun working your life and family away. Don't insult people for working the best they can and actually like spending the most time they can with their family. Just because you don't understand how to maximize your dollar doesn't mean other folks are poor or don't provide.


Well said , Half the people on here don't own there stuff free and clear
I made 30k net last year is what I paid myself and That not what the business made I'm Inc.During winter time when there no snow I'm drawing employment
But when there is work to be done I'll work 7 days
__________________
Snyder's New Lawn Service Inc.
Since 1981
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 05-03-2013, 01:56 AM
Snyder's Lawn Inc's Avatar
Snyder's Lawn Inc Snyder's Lawn Inc is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kirksville Mo
Posts: 3,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi_speedreed View Post
you guys are crazy. if i had to work 7 days a week to make it I would sell it all and go back to my old job. You either have too many bills or you just love money. 3-4 days a week 5 max and that only happens a couple times a year.
Posted via Mobile Device
You must be a mow guy only
I can mow my stuff in 4 days avg of 1500-2000 per day just for mowing That gives me 3 days for installs lawn treatments and other odd jobs
Lot of times I do other stuff till 10am or so then mow. Doing this makes my mowing last more then 4 days

This only job I ever had I was born in this type of work. My father was born in this type of work. My son was born in this Now even my grand daughter
This all I know is to work when you have work to do.
__________________
Snyder's New Lawn Service Inc.
Since 1981
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 05-03-2013, 02:43 AM
hi_speedreed hi_speedreed is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Charleston, WV
Posts: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
You must be a mow guy only
I can mow my stuff in 4 days avg of 1500-2000 per day just for mowing That gives me 3 days for installs lawn treatments and other odd jobs
Lot of times I do other stuff till 10am or so then mow. Doing this makes my mowing last more then 4 days

This only job I ever had I was born in this type of work. My father was born in this type of work. My son was born in this Now even my grand daughter
This all I know is to work when you have work to do.
The mow only guys are the ones breaking their backs working
7 days a week mowing 15 yards a day because they know of no other way to make money.

I've yet to find an answer to the question about a business plan. If you need to work 7 days a week, your business plan is flawed. If the reason you are working 7 days a week is to pay your bills, you need to take some financial management classes and evaluate your pricing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 05-03-2013, 08:21 AM
Mark Oomkes Mark Oomkes is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 7,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
Earning $11 hour working all those hours. 8 hours at straight time then about 10 more hours at straight time.

Business would be bankrupt if he had to get paid time and a half for everything past 8 hours each day. At those numbers even if he had an employee his business is not generating the money to pay over time that is being worked.

Again his hourly rates appear to low.



I do snow removal. It snows. You work Sunday's, holiday's. This does not happen that often so you miss out on an occasional Sunday. There still is plenty of quality time for wife and family.


Now to be honest I mow Tue Wed and Thur. Friday is my rainout day and up sell work day. Monday is for upsell. This means I usually only work T,W,T.

The ocassional job where I need a crew I may have to work on the weekends because my 2 adult son's, and a friend of theirs is available.

So far I have worked 1 Saturday this season. This coming Saturday because of man power needs I will be working another Saturday.

So if I work the occasional Saturday or Sunday I am only working 4 days a week. Because I am not getting a steady 40 hours of work Mon through Fri I do not mind putting in some week end time.

Though if I had 4 full for days of work, M - Thr. Then Friday's for rain outs and up sell. The occasional Saturday would then become rare. Pretty much Sat's would only be for the jobs too big to do solo and the time contraints require that the job gets done in one day instead of being dragged out.

Life is a balance. Many of those that want and can work 12 hour days, 7 days a week for 6 months, quite often do not see that how their absence has a negative impact on their family.

Remember the Harry Chapin, Cat in the Craddle song?

Amen, brother, amen.
__________________
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman

I like my guns like Obama likes his voters: Undocumented

Criminals obey gun laws like politicians follow their oaths of office
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.com™ - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:49 AM.

Page generated in 0.08180 seconds with 9 queries