Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-02-2013, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Anyone seeing a lot of Brown Patch?

In my area we have had a lot of cool weather and for the 1st time in several years, rain. I am seeing a lot of brown patch which I feel the conditions are contributing to this. Is anyone seeing this and if so what is your approach? Wait it out till temps take care of it or start treating? As I've mentioned it in the past I like dry conditions since most of my customers that have irrigation and you can control the water vs mother nature.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

What turf? We see a lot of brown patch in fescue but its during the summer.

I'm seeing some large patch on centipede now with the cool wet weather.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Member

I am seeing it in allot of places as well. I think we might be seeing more with this kind of cool wet weather but hopefully not. According on the customer we either start treating to try and stop it and the bad area we replace. Then we have some that don't want to be treated just the dead spots replaced.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-02-2013, 12:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmasterswilson View Post
What turf? We see a lot of brown patch in fescue but its during the summer.

I'm seeing some large patch on centipede now with the cool wet weather.
Warm season grasses
Old 05-02-2013, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Ar,
Yes, here in Jonesboro, we are starting to see quite a number of lawns coming out of dormancy with what appears to be Brown patch fungus. It has been cool here and totally wet. Temps have soared up to 80+ then at night down to 45. Greenup has been awesome and other things coming into season faster than normal. However, I see no need to control this fungus as long as the conditions impair me from getting product down. Heritage, Banner max and such products is way too expensive to just throw around on unstable weather conditions. I hope that this weather snap will end soon and get some product down to stop the spread. I plan on using......Cleary's and wait till hot weather before applying fertilizer.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think Green View Post
Ar,
Yes, here in Jonesboro, we are starting to see quite a number of lawns coming out of dormancy with what appears to be Brown patch fungus. It has been cool here and totally wet. Temps have soared up to 80+ then at night down to 45. Greenup has been awesome and other things coming into season faster than normal. However, I see no need to control this fungus as long as the conditions impair me from getting product down. Heritage, Banner max and such products is way too expensive to just throw around on unstable weather conditions. I hope that this weather snap will end soon and get some product down to stop the spread. I plan on using......Cleary's and wait till hot weather before applying fertilizer.
I agree about the fert. I haven't put any down yet and customers are getting antsy. Of course the DIY's have put it down way back in March. I'm fairly new to disease treatment but as I understand it N will only encourage brown patch, correct. I did read a thread in which Ric mentioned he can usually "outgrow" BP. Not sure exactly what he meant by that?
Old 05-02-2013, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

The disease problems flared up here just over 2 weeks ago when we had the 3 days of 85-88 degrees with high humidity. It has since gone inactive with the slightly cooler days but the damage it left behind is still evident, even though slight.

I have had both Pythium and Large Patch(for years we called it brown patch) in some of my Zoysias. Confirmed by UofA Lab

We have about a 21 day window and I figure the heat and humidity will be back soon so I applied fungicide Monday and Tuesday this week to 5 or 6 lawns.

Apparently, other LCO's in town are having a bit more trouble with it. They've been applying too much N to lawns and know it(have even admitted it to me and some of their customers). I've picked up a handful of their former customers who have been fighting disease problems for the last few years with expensive fungicide apps from their former lawn care providers. To say they're upset is an understatement
Old 05-02-2013, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted putnam View Post
The disease problems flared up here just over 2 weeks ago when we had the 3 days of 85-88 degrees with high humidity. It has since gone inactive with the slightly cooler days but the damage it left behind is still evident, even though slight.

I have had both Pythium and Large Patch(for years we called it brown patch) in some of my Zoysias. Confirmed by UofA Lab

We have about a 21 day window and I figure the heat and humidity will be back soon so I applied fungicide Monday and Tuesday this week to 5 or 6 lawns.

Apparently, other LCO's in town are having a bit more trouble with it. They've been applying too much N to lawns and know it(have even admitted it to me and some of their customers). I've picked up a handful of their former customers who have been fighting disease problems for the last few years with expensive fungicide apps from their former lawn care providers. To say they're upset is an understatement
Simple: June 1 for first fertility of Zoysia, and July 21 for second app. That's it. 2lbs N total.

Bermuda sees no N after 8-15 for me. Hopefully 8-1. But you can't do everyone in three days. So it drags out.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Yea, I'm aware of the 2lbs N per year recommendation on Zoysia and I totally agree with you on the wait for first fertility even though I run it a month or so ahead of you (remember,I am south of you) However, I do not hit them with a full pound of N per app. I apply 1/2 pound of N per app. Hitting them with anything over 3/4 pound N in one app has always caused problems for me. In the grand scheme of things my fungicide expense for disease issues in turf is pretty negligible when compared to Gross Revenue. I really think it has a lot to do with my approach to fertility in zoysia, which is more prone to disease in our area.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:46 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

What exactly is the difference between Brown & Large patch? I was thinking they are pretty close to the same condition. The fungicide labels seem to group them together.