Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-03-2013, 12:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

So the only differences from the M to R is the electric deck lift, controls on the handles, foot operated park brake and 12 mph vs 10 mph. The speed is really the only thing that I'd want on the R.

Good to hear clumping is not much of an issue. How does the 7 iron disperse the clippings in normal cutting conditions. Do they pretty much evaporate or does it cover the service with a even but ugly canopy of clippings like my XR7 SZ?
Old 05-03-2013, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't want to steer the thread too far off (op, sorry bout this),but here are some things that I can answer for you-
1- the cast iron JD uses is nodular cast iron, and very, very tough. I have never ever seen a cast iron axle or frame part broken on any JD going back over 40 years. It may have happend, but I have yet to see it in person

2- You will not wreck a JD frame doing any regular mowing operstion. No bending/twisting it like you can a tubular frame unless you do something beyons stupid with it. I'd put it against any frame out there. Those big C channels are thick,tall, and strong. The bolts make replacing anything that should ever need it easier to do at lower cost, and relieve a lot of torsional stress on the frame

3- The R model also has cross porting to keep the hydro's cooler while side hilling

4- the electric lift is really nice, (and smooth/fast) but no feathering. It's up or down. The handles that have the EL and PTO kill switch are very comfortable to use

5- That cast iron bumper is technically an after thought I guess. They added it to make side hilling and traction much, much better than on the previous 800 series machines. I love it. It protects the rear of the machine and it does make traction much better

6- I have no financial interests in JD, nor do I like the corporation itself. Too many bean counters with no real world experience making too many important decisions

7- I am simply pointing out that for a machine designed for cutting lawns in all sorts of conditions, you'll have to look long and hard to do better as long as you get the FF's and Sus seat

Edited to add: I forgot to answer you about the clippings. I have yet to see any carpet looking mess left behind. It may be due to the places I cut vs where you do, but discharge is not an issue with the 7 Iron. It is excellent in that regard. I have the MOD deck and have the ability to tailor it to almost any condition/set-up

Last edited by Ridin' Green; 05-03-2013 at 12:31 AM.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

JD isn't totally out o the picture. I bled green and yellow for a long time. Dealer was great and not that far away. They just haven't had enough "PRO's" to counter their "CON's" for me. I'd like some more EFI choices for sure. Why they refuse to use the 29hp Kohler EFI for example, is just ridiculous.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-03-2013, 06:26 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Mtmower, are you going to demo the new X-Factor?

I hope to be cutting with one in a week or so and as usuall post tons of pics and a review.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-03-2013, 06:56 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmower View Post
From what I read the forks and the seat are an option across the board. After running FFs I find it hard to go back to a ridged front end.

I'm concerned and not to sure about the electric deck lift and handle mount control switches. It looks like just another gadget to go bad. I also float my deck a lot on my SZ with FF turning, stopping, over roots, etc. so I'm not sure you have a way to float the R deck since it looks to be all electric? This may cause a problem when adding FF. I'm actually rethinking that I may consider the M instead of the R but I'd be loosing more speed yet which I don't like.

If it weren't for the deck and positive write ups about them from good folks like you I wouldn't give them a second look. Too much plastic for my liking. Small gas tank. Everything is bolted together (frame). I've seen my share of cast metals breaking where tube steel is rarely an issue unless a faulty weld is involved. I've always thought the rear bumper was an after thought. I can't say I've heard of problems caused by this it's just how it looks to my eye. JD also ticks me off when it comes to their heavy ag stuff and I'm sure this trickles down to mowers and such. But I've been told more than once that because they're so large a company they have items like bearings and the like made just slightly off in size from common bearings so that when one fails you have no choice but to buy from them. Good business planing but if the part costs twice as much shame on them.

But hey, if they cut the best and make my clippings magically disappear my rear end may be in a yellow seat

That rear cast iron bumper adds a tremendous amount of hillside traction. I demoed one with and one without and I would make sure you got one with the bumper. Another issue I had was the front end started to come up on me and I jerked the handles back to bring it back down and get the F off the hill. Same hill I have been mowing up for year with my 160Z. My 460 gets light on that hill but doesnt come up. The 160 is even better.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 05-03-2013, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLS View Post
JD isn't totally out o the picture. I bled green and yellow for a long time. Dealer was great and not that far away. They just haven't had enough "PRO's" to counter their "CON's" for me. I'd like some more EFI choices for sure. Why they refuse to use the 29hp Kohler EFI for example, is just ridiculous.
Posted via Mobile Device
My post was in responce to mtmower's questions to me, but I agree with you about this. It must either be a bulk buy contract deal with Kawi, or they are just trying to use up NOS Kohler EFI engines before making any production changes. Still, it seems they could add other EFI options to their lineup. I much prefer Kawi over Kohler, and Kawi does make all their engines in DFI as well as carbed now, but the DFI isn't as fuel efficient as the EFI engines from everything I've read.

Why Kawi doesn't use EFI in their vertical shaft engines is beyond me. They make them in LQ horizontal shaft models. I've owned a few so far. They've been great relaible engines and start easily. Never had one smoke on start up or at any other time either.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

the John Deere is better than a hustler overall....or at least they are even in areas like ride comfort now since john deere is available with flex forks and suspension seats too.

the only thing the super z has going for it to make it better than any other mower is the top speed and the industrial grade pumps/motors.

cut quality, which is the Most Important Thing on a mower, is what a customer sees. it is much better on a deere or scag.

Last edited by weeze; 05-03-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sold the Hustler on Monday.

Received full asking price.

Ordered the eXmark Lazer Z X-series with the E-Gov RED technology and new suspension seat. It will arrive at my dealer on Thursday, and by the time they prep it, maybe pick it up Fri/Sat/Mon.

My dealer was nice enough to give me a loaner to use. It's an older (new Next Lazer) with the 29hp Kawi. I believe it may have been a demo unit that I actually demo'd back in 2009 while my SuperZ was getting hydro work done (again). This Lazer has about 1400 hrs and has seen some rough use. I'm guessing they sold this demo unit to someone that never cleaned the top of the deck. The top of the deck is pitted and rusty. It was wire wheeled and spray painted to cover it up. But all in all for 1400 hrs, it's still a pretty tight machine! Cut was beautiful all day yesterday. I put about 4 hrs on it, in the rain at times and the cut simply blew away the cut from my old Hustler XR-7.
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Old 05-08-2013, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
My post was in responce to mtmower's questions to me, but I agree with you about this. It must either be a bulk buy contract deal with Kawi, or they are just trying to use up NOS Kohler EFI engines before making any production changes. Still, it seems they could add other EFI options to their lineup. I much prefer Kawi over Kohler, and Kawi does make all their engines in DFI as well as carbed now, but the DFI isn't as fuel efficient as the EFI engines from everything I've read.

Why Kawi doesn't use EFI in their vertical shaft engines is beyond me. They make them in LQ horizontal shaft models. I've owned a few so far. They've been great relaible engines and start easily. Never had one smoke on start up or at any other time either.
Dealer told me it's a bulk contract to make Kawi the only or for the most part make Kawi their main option in return for a good deal. They have a warehouse full of them that need to be used before DFI is an option. Sounds somewhat binding. He said everyone's yelling for Kohler EFI and the dealer tried to order some CA models and was shot down. I wonder if a guy could buy one from a CA dealer and bring it back?
Old 05-08-2013, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The California only SuperZ HD uses a Kohler CV980. It is not EFI, just a normal 2bbl carb.
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980