Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-03-2013, 12:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Honda HRR2163VXA Surges

So I got a call from my uncle about these three older honda mowers he is getting rid of, and asked if I wanted them. So I picked them up and got to work on the best looking one. My brother and I got it to run and cut...but at idle, the motor surges (see video) Once you engage the blades the surge stops and it runs fine, you disengage the blades, its back to the surge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXsx8...ature=youtu.be

What we've done:

Removed, cleaned and reset the gap distance on the ignition coil. (Wasn't getting spark, now it is)
Removed and checked the safety switch (works)
Removed and cleaned the carb. Soaked in Mineral spirits, then soaked in Gum Out.
Changed the oil twice. (It was black, Not sure he ever changed it...)

I'm thinking that its the carb still, after numerous soaks and blowing out with air. When I took it apart the first time, it was gummed up with a reddish hard material, not rust though. I have no idea how long it has sit in his garage, but like I said, I think its something in the jets still gummed up. Was just wondering what you guys think. Thanks in advance.

(Btw, the mower is very dirty and greasy...once I get it running good she'll get a good bath)

Old 05-03-2013, 01:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You can buy a new carb for 15 bux here; http://planopower.com/store/honda/hr...carburetor.php

I don't even bother cleaning these carbs any longer......
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 05-03-2013, 01:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
You can buy a new carb for 15 bux here; http://planopower.com/store/honda/hr...carburetor.php

I don't even bother cleaning these carbs any longer......
Yeap, I saw that, and will pro get one, from a dealer around here...I was just seeing if there is anything else I can do, because I also have to get a new blade clutch control lever/cable. Thanks though!

Old 05-03-2013, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The low speed passage is likely corroded inside which all the soaking in the world won't clear it out.....
Quote:
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 05-03-2013, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Spray seafoam directly into the carb threw airfilter housing while its running. Keep spraying (use a old windex bottle to spray it with) and dont stop until it coughs and sounds terrible. Then sprsy until it is to much to keep running and stalls. Spray more with motor off.Let it sit overnight and fire it up.it will idle and run like new.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
The low speed passage is likely corroded inside which all the soaking in the world won't clear it out.....
I figured something like that is the problem. Just wanted to know if their was anything I could do before buying a new carb. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREENWITHENVY1 View Post
Spray seafoam directly into the carb threw airfilter housing while its running. Keep spraying (use a old windex bottle to spray it with) and dont stop until it coughs and sounds terrible. Then sprsy until it is to much to keep running and stalls. Spray more with motor off.Let it sit overnight and fire it up.it will idle and run like new.
I've got a can of Seafoam and didnt even think of using it...Ill try this ina bit! Thanks guys.

So far Ive spent roughly $10 for a mower that retails for a few hundred, I think I win

Old 05-03-2013, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Whoa, hold on a sec. You say it is surging when idle with the blades disengaged? But it gets smooth when you engage the blades?
Don't fix anything. That's just what all these machines do to some extent or another. Your surge does sound a little extreme, and a replacement carb is in your future, but if it doesn't surge when running at speed, and it doesn't stall at idle, don't mess with it.
When you replace the carb, it will still surge a little at idle. It will probably improve a bit, but not much. That's just normal for these machines.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlitman View Post
Whoa, hold on a sec. You say it is surging when idle with the blades disengaged? But it gets smooth when you engage the blades?
Don't fix anything. That's just what all these machines do to some extent or another. Your surge does sound a little extreme, and a replacement carb is in your future, but if it doesn't surge when running at speed, and it doesn't stall at idle, don't mess with it.
When you replace the carb, it will still surge a little at idle. It will probably improve a bit, but not much. That's just normal for these machines.
Okay, Im not used to Honda motors, nor any small engine repair shops around here. Yea, once I engage the blades it runs fine. It's just weird...I'm so used to a smooth running motor lmao. Thanks

Old 05-03-2013, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Seafoam Baby
Old 05-03-2013, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlitman View Post
That's just what all these machines do to some extent or another. That's just normal for these machines.

Huh ????

You must not know what a correct running Honda engine sounds like ?

I've got a whole rental fleet of all model Honda engines and NONE surge at any RPM, NO engine is supposed to surge...... If it does it's due to a lean running carb in most cases. Continuous surging is only wearing the governor shaft-throttle shaft and linkage out quicker......

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREENWITHENVY1 View Post
Seafoam Baby

Baaahahaha !!!
Quote: