Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-01-2013, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Which Residential Zero Turn?

I am in the market for a residential zero turn. I don't have a lot to spend. Probably around $2500-3000. I don't have a good background on mowers, as this will be my first riding mower. I live in a very rural area, the closest lowes or home depot is 1hr away, so options are limited. I do have a JD dealer close, but only has commercial units in stock. I would be very grateful for any recommendations.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Member

I have to admit that I know nothing of residential zero turns, however, I'd be safe saying you are better off buying a used commercial model.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Keep an eye on craigslist for a commercial unit. Also HD and Lowes usually only carry riding mowers in my area. HD does have them listed online. Also look in surrounding cities in your area on craigslist ,to expand your options. Also a bit of advice, if not familiar with these types of mowers ,try to find someone you know that runs them and can give you a second opinion .On big purchases that are used extra eyes can save you thousands.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The ZTR you will find at lowes or HD is not anything like a commercial unit. It may look the same in just a few aspects but even those are cheep parts that aren't made for serious use. If you have a large lot you should look into a commercial unit. The little ZTRs are really made for small lawns and part time use. Not a few hours of mowing each week. They will also ride like crap, I have never seen one with a suspension of any kind.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Another option would be buying a new Hustler. I believe they have a new zero turn called the "Raptor" that would be near the top of your price range. They have tube frames and fabricated decks. I've had the Sport for two years now and I have NO issues with it. From what I've read, the Sport has a few more bells and whistles than the Raptor. Other than a few differences, they are very similiar. I always worry about buying used, you never know what your going to get. People sell for one of two reasons: they need money or they know their unit is about to "fall apart" and don't want to dump money into it. I personally would rather not gamble unless I know FOR SURE the used unit has been taken care of. With Hustler, you know you're getting a three year warranty and a name that's been around for awhile.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Member

I love my Hustler mini fastrak! Its great for my yard and has had no problems what so ever after 4 years.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:26 AM
LawnSite Member

The Raptors frame is C channel not tubular. Everything is bolted or welded no rivets . The C Channel is the only thing I really do not like about mine but honestly I can not tell the difference. I have had mine since February and my Yard is a little under .5 of a acre. And it seems to do a pretty good job
Old 05-03-2013, 03:26 PM
LawnSite Member

OP how much area are you mowing? I mow 2 acres with a 8 year old Troybilt that I bought new and have over 300 hours on it. I am looking to upgrade because it takes too long to mow. Looking at a low end commercial unit, you may want to do the same if your budget can afford it. If not, definitely look at the Raptor.