Old 05-03-2013, 02:03 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Found the box then the valve
Attached Images

Old 05-03-2013, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
Me thinks you miss the point, and the jokes. Only amateurs pound their pud on this forum, and get what they deserve, hopefully learning from it.
Again, the "nothing is as good as YOU can do" is getting old!...Give me a break.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irritation View Post
Instant grass that takes tons of water to take root. Should be illegal in Texas.
It really doesn't need as much water as it's usually given but like everything, it's typically overwatered. Just don't let the top 1/2 of soil that came with the sod dry to the point of cracking. I once had some sod left over from a job that I didn't need anywhere and didn't want to throw out so I spread a tarp on the back patio and laid it out (about 50 sq/ft). I hit it with the hand sprayer on the hose every afternoon for about 5 minutes and kept that grass green and healthy for 2 months in the heat of summer until I had someplace to use it. That was St Augustine, I'd bet Tx was dealing with Bermuda in his part of the state, which would need about 1/2 the water I gave my grass.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I ran into this about a month ago, valve was direct buried (no box) right under the PVB. I had a hell of a time finding this with the 521, not because it wasn't leading me here but because I didn't believe it, especially when I didn't find a box in the firs 4 inches...
Attached Images

Old 05-03-2013, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcg View Post
I ran into this about a month ago, valve was direct buried (no box) right under the PVB. I had a hell of a time finding this with the 521, not because it wasn't leading me here but because I didn't believe it, especially when I didn't find a box in the firs 4 inches...
I have a term for valves installed super close (Boots) or on top of one another (stacked) but i can't post it here.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-03-2013, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcg View Post
I have a term for valves installed super close (Boots) or on top of one another (stacked) but i can't post it here.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-03-2013, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I always hated people that stacked valves... all to save the price of a valve box. But, the race to the lowest possible price takes its toll.... the last time I encountered that, I warned the homeowner that the first time I'd have to service a valve in the bottom row, the price would start @ $1000. About two years later.. I had to service a bottom valve. I think with inflation and taxes it was $1200 to rip it apart and do it right...
Old 05-04-2013, 03:12 AM
LawnSite Member

I had to fix this mainline break. Water was coming from underneath the tee and I could feel that the tee was deformed. This is what I found when I cut it. A bit hard to see the inside shot but there was a massive blob of solvent cement inside the fitting. It took 15 years to give way but it wouldn't have given way if the installer used less glue. Just an unnecessary repair.
Attached Images

Old 05-05-2013, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Worked a little today, on Sunday. Repaired a friend's mom's system. Doesn't meet code, and total hack job. Gave her a price to replace AVB with PVB and put valves in the ground. Looks like we will do it later in the year when she is remodeling the house. This sits directly at the front of the house, by the front door. Nice and attractive. We see this kind of set up or similar, more often than you may realize. The back has the same kind of set up, which she will also address later.
Attached Images

Old 05-05-2013, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMac View Post
Worked a little today, on Sunday. Repaired a friend's mom's system. Doesn't meet code, and total hack job. Gave her a price to replace AVB with PVB and put valves in the ground. Looks like we will do it later in the year when she is remodeling the house. This sits directly at the front of the house, by the front door. Nice and attractive. We see this kind of set up or similar, more often than you may realize. The back has the same kind of set up, which she will also address later.
What are those valves?