Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-03-2013, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Kawasaki oil leak

Is this a common place for a leak? I know, I need to clean it off, and wipe it all down, to find the exact source, but just putting a little feeler out there.
Attached Images

Old 05-03-2013, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Kawasaki oil leak

Yep, I have one on a gravely that has been leaking for a couple of years. The gasket has been replaced once but it went to leaking again not long after.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I really hope I have to take the motor off and change the gasket, that would be really fun to do this time of year....
Old 05-03-2013, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Could be the gov shaft seal. Clean it off and find out.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky86 View Post
Could be the gov shaft seal. Clean it off and find out.
I had this leak on my 27HP Kawa in a John Deere Ztrak. The dealer replaced it for just few bucks. Hasn't leaked since.

2009 Nissan Titan pullling a 18 ft PJ Trailer
2011 Kubota ZD326S (60") - 26HP Kubota Diesel
2010 Bob-Cat FastCat Pro 48" w/Accelerator (20HP Kawa)
Non-commercial 21" walk-behind
Blowers (Stihl BG85/Husqvarna 170BT)
Trimmers (Stihl KM110 & FS90, Kawa Multi-Tool)
Chainsaws (Stihl MS180 & MS362 w/20 & 24" bars)
& misc hand tools & equipment
Old 05-04-2013, 08:28 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I am curious to find out what it takes to replace that governor shaft seal, at least one of mine leaks that way...
On the one hand it ought to be a simple procedure, on the other it about looks as if the whole engine has to come apart...
Old 05-04-2013, 09:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
I am curious to find out what it takes to replace that governor shaft seal, at least one of mine leaks that way...
On the one hand it ought to be a simple procedure, on the other it about looks as if the whole engine has to come apart...
Know what you mean. I was afraid that it was going to be an expensive repair, but I had the machine in for it's 600 hr maintenance, and I mentioned the leak and asked what it would take to repair, and the technician said it only took a few minutes to replace and would only add about $5 to the bill, so I said go ahead. The leak wasn't bad, but it was more annoying than anything else (I don't like leaks). If it had been a "tear down the engine" type of repair, it wouldn't have been worth it.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rreyn1812 View Post
Know what you mean. I was afraid that it was going to be an expensive repair, but I had the machine in for it's 600 hr maintenance, and I mentioned the leak and asked what it would take to repair, and the technician said it only took a few minutes to replace and would only add about $5 to the bill, so I said go ahead. The leak wasn't bad, but it was more annoying than anything else (I don't like leaks). If it had been a "tear down the engine" type of repair, it wouldn't have been worth it.
That's pressing it a bit. If accessible it should take about 15-20 min.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I had the maintenance done during the winter when they are just trying to keep their tech's busy and offer special pricing for their maintenance package, so maybe they just gave me a good deal.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
I know how you feel, I had a FX 801 that was leaking there last year. It really is a simple fix. All you need to do is remove the hardware from the governor shaft, it slid right off after loosening the nut. I have transmission seal removers for working on 2 cycle seals so I used one of them, popped the seal right out.

Slid the new seal on the shaft to start it in the right alinement, then took a small 1/4 socket the same size as the seal and gently tapped it it. Put the hardware back on and tightened the nut, done.

Thank You Slapper

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic

RTFM What a concept