Register free!

Old 05-03-2013, 08:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
What exactly is the difference between Brown & Large patch? I was thinking they are pretty close to the same condition. The fungicide labels seem to group them together.
Large patch is the industry replacement name for Brown patch.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-03-2013, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well the real problem with Zoysia is that nobody mows it properly. It's waaaay too tall then it gets slammed with disease.

Our fairways at our golf course are Zoysia and they never have any issues and they only get two fertilities per year,a grub control and that's it. Of course they are reel mowed.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrashears View Post
Well the real problem with Zoysia is that nobody mows it properly. It's waaaay too tall then it gets slammed with disease.

Our fairways at our golf course are Zoysia and they never have any issues and they only get two fertilities per year,a grub control and that's it. Of course they are reel mowed.

I agree, they aren't mowed properly. Most do not scalp them in the spring like they should and then mow them too high with a dull blade the rest of the season. Add poor irrigation practices on top of that and all you need is to apply too much N through the year and you've got the makings of an ongoing disaster.

Some will get disease no matter what but much of it could be avoided by proper cultural practices by the customer and proper fertility practices by LCO's.

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor
Old 05-03-2013, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

For the most part I have not done Lime apps the last 2 yrs. Dr. Boyd has mentioned in several of the last few classes I've attended that diseases don't do well in lower PH. I used to push toward 7.0. Most of my lawns are in the 6.2-6.5 range and unless PH is 6 or below I no longer apply Lime. Another thing he has mentioned is aeration in the fight against disease. I am now pushing aeration especially on those with past disease issues.

All I know is that disease issues for us are pretty low for the most part and according to my competition, running rampant for them. I've been told they spent 10's of thousands on fungicides last year. I spent less than a thousand. In relation to our compared business size, their budget is way out of wack. Maybe I'm just lucky...or maybe I'm doing something right. I'm not sure.

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor
Old 05-03-2013, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ted, I was talking in generalities about Zoysia fertility, not really to you.

We put out 2 fert apps at 1lb on those approx dates with 50% slow release. It's worked great for us. We push aeration hard. Some just wont do it. Oh well. We charge about 1.5 times our app price to aerate. I'm thinking about getting a ride on and pushing for more volume at a little lower price.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrashears View Post
Ted, I was talking in generalities about Zoysia fertility, not really to you.

We put out 2 fert apps at 1lb on those approx dates with 50% slow release. It's worked great for us. We push aeration hard. Some just wont do it. Oh well. We charge about 1.5 times our app price to aerate. I'm thinking about getting a ride on and pushing for more volume at a little lower price.
We charge the same as you do for aeration. My primary competitor charges 2x lawn price.

I've considered a tow behind model but can't justify a couple more thousand for it after just buying the XT5 last year and it isn't even really broken in yet.

I already have the hitch foot plate for my JR 36 so if I do buy a tow behind I'll be ready to go with it. It'd be nice to be able to do large areas quickly.

There's definitely no way I can justify a ride-on aerator. I haven't heard anyone say anything about the Exmark and I have no idea where that stands since they took over the Lawn Solutions design/model.

Old 05-03-2013, 03:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted putnam View Post
We charge the same as you do for aeration. My primary competitor charges 2x lawn price.

I've considered a tow behind model but can't justify a couple more thousand for it after just buying the XT5 last year and it isn't even really broken in yet.

I already have the hitch foot plate for my JR 36 so if I do buy a tow behind I'll be ready to go with it. It'd be nice to be able to do large areas quickly.

There's definitely no way I can justify a ride-on aerator. I haven't heard anyone say anything about the Exmark and I have no idea where that stands since they took over the Lawn Solutions design/model.
I don't recommend a tow behind unless you have wide open areas. I have one and tried to use it but it was too inconvenient to use on my customer's lawns. If you are interested it is for sale, prob haven't used it 10 times.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

What do you have and what are you asking for it??

Old 05-03-2013, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted putnam View Post
What do you have and what are you asking for it??
It is a Trac Vac 48". I'll take $250. I paid close to 500 after shipping.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

My fellow Arkansan's,
Does the state do your disease detection for free?
I was told by my extension agent that the cost is around 125.00 dollars.
It seems likely that the customer isn't wanting to pay this fee, however the loss to turfgrass will exceed this amount.