Register free!

Old 05-03-2013, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
The economy is improving and thus those seeking jobs have more options than say 2 or 3 years ago. Are you sure your are paying a competitive wage for your line of work in your area? Have you reviewed others ads and seen what they are offering?
I pay $10 that's more than most I think.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjm95 View Post
I pay $10 that's more than most I think.
That is where i am currently with my guy. I think it is a fair wage for what he brings to the table, but honestly last time i ran a ad i searched others ad's and most started right in the same ball park but some as high as $12 starting rate. Others i see running ads for crew leaders at $9 a hour. It is hard to get a true read of the market rate, especially if you come here to ls as everyone pays their guys $15 a hour with bennies....smh
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-04-2013, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
That is where i am currently with my guy. I think it is a fair wage for what he brings to the table, but honestly last time i ran a ad i searched others ad's and most started right in the same ball park but some as high as $12 starting rate. Others i see running ads for crew leaders at $9 a hour. It is hard to get a true read of the market rate, especially if you come here to ls as everyone pays their guys $15 a hour with bennies....smh
Posted via Mobile Device
I think $10 is a good starting point. Last year during EOW my partner took care of the lawns I as I was offered a job to help do Finish Carpentry on the largest home constructed to date in Collier County 32,000 square feet. I am completely tooled up, my own van and have a decade of experience on high end finish. I could only get $15 an hour which is pitiful prior to 2006 I could get close to $30 an hour.

When I have help that's what I start them out at $10 an hour.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Employees

I am in the same boat, definite la ck of experienced and inexperienced candidates at any price point, think I may now have been educated as to why.... Grrr...
Old 05-04-2013, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg78 View Post
I think $10 is a good starting point. Last year during EOW my partner took care of the lawns I as I was offered a job to help do Finish Carpentry on the largest home constructed to date in Collier County 32,000 square feet.
I let my old guy pretty much run things the most of late November , all of December and most of January on maintenance. I enjoy the hell out of winter, it is one of the perks of this line of work IMHO and honestly I think it helps with retention allowing them to get the extra hours because I just split the schedule up into two weeks so he was going out every week and drawing a paycheck. I think it is hard to expect to get maintain good employees if they are not being paid every week during part of the year. There is some lost profit by me doing it this way, but honestly, I think it is good to ensure the guy has income coming in and I take much needed relaxation time.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 05-11-2013, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

It took a long time to find decent workers, my current crew I plan on keeping for a long time. Pay them well and take care of them, they respect the equipment and want to grow with the company.
Old 05-12-2013, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Florida Lawns View Post
It took a long time to find decent workers, my current crew I plan on keeping for a long time. Pay them well and take care of them, they respect the equipment and want to grow with the company.
That is the key in growing properly.
Posted via Mobile Device