Register free!

Old 05-04-2013, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

How's ur landscape crews work load this year?

We have about 6 weeks work scheduled and counting, I'm starting to turn jobs over to friends now because people don't want to wait that long. How do you guys maintain balance when being overloaded with work. Do you start turning jobs down? And do you maybe set a limit on taking jobs if your scheduled to far out? This has been typical for me the last 4 years now. Just a bummer to turn work away.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Start another crew?
00 chevy 3500 dump
03 dodge dakota
4 ferris wb
1 ferris ztr
2 exmark ztr
lesco spreader sprayer stand on
case 1845
western plows
Old 05-04-2013, 02:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Yea start another crew never turn away work.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

before you jump in and start another crew make sure your current crew is as profitable as it can be...ive been in this 25 yrs. and i bet i can find quite a bit of in efficiencies in most small to med size operations...everything from fuel, repairs, labor, insurance, ect. ect. even some of your accts. that seem profitable might not be as profitable as some new accts....take on a new acct. that is more profitable and drop or sell off the less profitable ones....starting another crew should only be a last resort as it will take some time to recover exps. and the R.O.I. (return on investment) will be low until start up costs are recoverd...at our peak we had 5 crews...now only 3 but our net is up by 15%...and growing
Old 05-07-2013, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Im sitting at about a month out right now but its mainly due to rain can't catch a break. Have hired a guy part time to only help with landscape fridays and saturdays hoping that will help me get caught up quick. I hate giving estimates and saying well it will be mid june before we get to you, i have a feeling if someone told me that i would look for someone else to do it.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Member

We are at about 3-4 months out right now. We have only been able to work a couple week so far this spring so we are about 2 months behind from the snow and rain that just hasn't given us a break.

The first thing I tell someone when they call that it will be 3-4 months before we could get to them and let them decide if they want to wait or find someone else. Even though I think it is the same for everyone else as well in this area. We just have one crew and can't even find people to even work so don't think it would be possible to start another crew.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Shed Landscaping View Post
We are at about 3-4 months out right now. We have only been able to work a couple week so far this spring so we are about 2 months behind from the snow and rain that just hasn't given us a break.

The first thing I tell someone when they call that it will be 3-4 months before we could get to them and let them decide if they want to wait or find someone else. Even though I think it is the same for everyone else as well in this area. We just have one crew and can't even find people to even work so don't think it would be possible to start another crew.
sounds like your summer is booked. I personally would start another at this point, regardless of experience.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We are still extremely busy, I added a couple extra's guys and get a few more jobs done a week. It's hard on my customers that signed up 2 months ago and we are just getting to them this week and next week. They just want the work done. I don't blame them. I usually get a few pissed customers each year that can't wait and will drop me. But I'm trying my best and working 7 days a week. I hope in a month I can start taking a day off a week maybe. Gonna be a good year as far as sales I think.