Register free!

Old 04-22-2013, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabby View Post
It takes a temperature of 60 degrees for seed to germinate, is that correct? (KBG, Rye and Fescue)

http://www.weather.com/outdoors/agri...ree-days/10985
Posted via Mobile Device
No not correct. Three different seeds three different germination peroids.

KBG needs 10 to 14 days to germinate.

KBG needs a soil temp of 50 D for 10 days before it will start to germinate. That is why it takes KBG 10 to 14 days to see a KBG lawn take from seed.

Most people do not have a way to measure soil temp. The simple way to know if the soil has reached 50 D is that if the night time low for 10 days will be/or has been at least 50 D or better.

Now on Long Island when the weather forcast for the next 10 days is for day time highs of 70+ D the night time lows will be at least 50 D.

The times I have followed the forecasts it always looked as if the KBG was never going to come up for the first 10 days. Then from day's 11 through 14 the new seedlings would germinate.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Here are some pictures of a few of the spots I repaired. Like I said seed is Jonathan Greene sun and shade mix. It is KBG, TTTF and Rye I believe but I forget exactly what it said on the bag to be honest. Slight gemination could be seen at day 10. Planted 4/6/13, germination seen 10 hays later on 4/16/13. It is now basically 2 weeks later, 5/2/13, and the pictures show how it looks. Personally I think it looks like shite. I seeded it and raked it in to about a 1/4" then threw som seed on top just to use up the last little bit of seed. Looks blotchy in all the areas I did, about 10 total areas. You guys think it will fill in, or am I just being impatient? Oh and night time temperatures are still pretty cool here in southern New York, mostly in the upper 30's and now the last few nights the low 40's
Attached Images

Old 05-03-2013, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Even a couple of 5 gallon pails full of compost will make the difference for your next step...

That soil looks barren... add seed to the areas again cover over with compost and SOAK it in good... add more seed and compost and water it normally...

This does NOT disturb the germinating seed or the seed about to germinate...

Does that lawn look thin because it is still coming out of dormancy or do you have some kind of weakness in the soil???
Old 05-03-2013, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Here are some pictures of a few of the spots I repaired. Like I said seed is Jonathan Greene sun and shade mix. It is KBG, TTTF and Rye I believe but I forget exactly what it said on the bag to be honest. Slight gemination could be seen at day 10. Planted 4/6/13, germination seen 10 hays later on 4/16/13. It is now basically 2 weeks later, 5/2/13, and the pictures show how it looks. Personally I think it looks like shite. I seeded it and raked it in to about a 1/4" then threw som seed on top just to use up the last little bit of seed. Looks blotchy in all the areas I did, about 10 total areas. You guys think it will fill in, or am I just being impatient? Oh and night time temperatures are still pretty cool here in southern New York, mostly in the upper 30's and now the last few nights the low 40's
Where in southern NY?

I am not doing the two seed jobs I have until about May 10th. Told cold now for KBG.

How many Sf did you seed and how many lbs of seed did you put down?

Areas that bare you needed to put down 5 lbs per 1,000 SF.

Also ground must be kept damp for seeds to germinate. How often/long did you water?

I water 10 - 15 minutes about 4 times a day. Starting at 9 am then every 3 hours.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Gabby,

It is quite possible when you raked the seed in you buried it too deep and raked it out of some areas and into others. My suggestion would be to broadcast some more seed and lightly cover it with compost without disturbing it further (i.e. no raking).
Old 05-03-2013, 12:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Does that lawn look thin because it is still coming out of dormancy or do you have some kind of weakness in the soil???
Still coming out of dormancy. It had some snow in areas until 4/11. It is a wooded area so it is a bit cooler then a lawn out in full sun. Plus up until now it has been very cool at night.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
Gabby,

It is quite possible when you raked the seed in you buried it too deep and raked it out of some areas and into others. My suggestion would be to broadcast some more seed and lightly cover it with compost without disturbing it further (i.e. no raking).
I raked it in lightly with the back side of the rake so it would not go in too deep. I hope it did not got too deep.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
Where in southern NY?

Orange County.

I am not doing the two seed jobs I have until about May 10th. Told cold now for KBG.

How many Sf did you seed and how many lbs of seed did you put down?

About 4000 SF I figure. I used a 7LB bag so I actually over seeded it a little.

Areas that bare you needed to put down 5 lbs per 1,000 SF.

Also ground must be kept damp for seeds to germinate. How often/long did you water?

I was watering it twice a day and now the last few days once a day. Mostly due to disgust.

I water 10 - 15 minutes about 4 times a day. Starting at 9 am then every 3 hours.
I am hoping it fills in some more. Time will tell. If not I will add more sead and compost.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
I am hoping it fills in some more. Time will tell. If not I will add more sead and compost.
7 lbs for 4,000 sf is not enough for over seeding.

3 lbs per 1,000 sf for over seeding means you needed 12 lbs of seed.

5 lbs per 1,000 sf for bare soil/new lawn's.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Gabby, lets assume you are seeing perennial ryegrass, the blue and tall fescue have probably not appeared yet. Don't give up. If you had planted more seed it would have looked better. Sometimes the seed package exaggerates the sq feet covered to induce you into buying it because it goes farther. I think ryegrass is usually planted at 6 to 8 pounds per thousand, Tall fescue about the same. Blue at 4 to 5 pounds per thousand. But if you plant too much...the rye takes over...and you have a ryegrass lawn. (This might be just fine in cool areas such as your location.)
Perhaps the seed package suggests the planting rate based on ideal conditions under irrigation, in the fall when soil temps are near the maximum.

The blue and fescue are probably still waiting for a bit more warm conditions.

Looks like your Growing Degree days are more like northern Michigan, perhaps around a hundred accumulated so far this season.
http://www.gddtracker.net/?model=8&offset=0&zip=49508

Last edited by RigglePLC; 05-04-2013 at 11:52 AM. Reason: added