Register free!

Old 05-02-2013, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Member

Pro 800 broadcast mode

Picked up the pro 800 last year and never really had a chance to put it to use. Finally tried it out the other day and was impressed. I first traced the dog fence in regular mode the in broadcast.

Broadcast worked great and picked up the line easily but did't get any singnal for the line that feeds the landscape light by the drive way.

Is there any tricks I need to know to use this mode better?
Old 05-02-2013, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i direct this post to 1eiedJim...aka runaway Jim.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

just got one myself. still getting used to it.
i like the Peak signal option. havent used broadcast yet. earphones seem flimsy, and the reverse holding of the receiver unit throws me off.

that said, i'm sure it will grow on me, just need some time. me and the 521 were very close, gonna take some time to get used to my new girl

pg
Old 05-02-2013, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Without A Drought View Post
just got one myself. still getting used to it.
i like the Peak signal option. havent used broadcast yet. earphones seem flimsy, and the reverse holding of the receiver unit throws me off.

that said, i'm sure it will grow on me, just need some time. me and the 521 were very close, gonna take some time to get used to my new girl

pg
The 800 has 2 reception modes and i use them both daily. Just today i lost null in heavy congestion, pressed peak and continued on.

Comparing peak and null helps to verify accuracy. You can read that in their manual. I KNOW ITS THERE!

Broadcast gets used a lot more than i thought it would. If you can place it on its hinge over the target it becomes somewhat directional. Lifting or removing the far end of the wire helps as does tracing single wire paths.

I used the 800 maybe 30-50 times today. I most times turn it on for just a minute or 2 and then turn it off.

Today i found either 10 or 11 valves and only put 2hrs max on the 800. Works great without the headset.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-02-2013, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

so far so good. i need to take it to a site where i know all the variables a play around for a few hours.

also need to start teaching my guys how to locate, and trouble shoot the electric in general. i'm having difficulty trying to figure out where to start. the way i learned was way backwards, but i feel that trying to teach theory before practical may be a waste of time.

and trying to impart years of field experience and research into a few hours a week has my head spinning.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
so far so good. i need to take it to a site where i know all the variables a play around for a few hours.

also need to start teaching my guys how to locate, and trouble shoot the electric in general. i'm having difficulty trying to figure out where to start. the way i learned was way backwards, but i feel that trying to teach theory before practical may be a waste of time.

and trying to impart years of field experience and research into a few hours a week has my head spinning.
Start at the controller, basic DMM use and then move to the field.

The most important thing is explaining the expectation of results and the next action.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-04-2013, 08:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Yeah, holding it the right way took alot of getting used to.

Thanks Jim, I'll have to try that when I get a chance.

My only complaint with this over the 521 is the small case. It's hard to get everything back inside without a big fuss.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

that's definitely true. i miss the old 521 case. i could carry strippers, extra ground wire, and a meter in that case. i may look at the 800 case and see if i can thin it out a little more.

that said, i used it the other day with no problem. i think i'm gonna like it a lot, just need more hours on it.

looking at A frames next. almost have enough hunter points to get one with no outlay.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
that's definitely true. i miss the old 521 case. i could carry strippers, extra ground wire, and a meter in that case. i may look at the 800 case and see if i can thin it out a little more.

that said, i used it the other day with no problem. i think i'm gonna like it a lot, just need more hours on it.

looking at A frames next. almost have enough hunter points to get one with no outlay.
I just got a GFL3000. I have only used it in practice bvt it seems to be fine.

I have heard rumor that Armada is on the Hunter rewards list.

I have too much stuff to worry about where to put the majority. I have 2 boxes with electrical instruments but the most often used goes in the pelican.
Posted via Mobile Device