Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-02-2013, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Member

You shouldn't have any amount of water coming through your driveway. Any company with a machine can bore a new line or sleeve under there for you.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusbuster View Post
so fixed sprays.....rainbird bran....on the top of the sprinklers, do they look like a a honey comb or are basicly black circle with a white center in the area the stem pops up?

either way, turn on the water and look at the top of head, a possibility is the seal has failed and is actually leaking. If they are, then there's your reason for lack of pressure.
Its been raining for the past 4 days so everything is soaking wet and its supposed to rain all weekend too, so I havent had a chance to cap the sprinkler heads and look for leaks. but when I first turned the system on it literally trickled out of the first 2 heads then nothing at all on all the rest. I cleaned it and then I got maybe a foot spray pattern and the same trickle from the second head and still nothing from the rest. So somewhere the line is either blocked or leaking because there isnt enough pressure to even make the heads pop up all the way. I added a pic of what the sprinklers look like.
Attached Images

2005 Walker 48 inch 26 EFI
54" side discharge Walker deck
Exmark Metro 48" walk behind
Honda 21" commercial push
Stihl FS90 weed eater
Stihl FS110 weed eater
Stihl FC90 edger
Stihl HL90 Xtend reach hedge trimmer
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
Stihl BR550 blower
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl MS261 chainsaw
Old 05-04-2013, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsroda View Post
Its been raining for the past 4 days so everything is soaking wet and its supposed to rain all weekend too, so I havent had a chance to cap the sprinkler heads and look for leaks. but when I first turned the system on it literally trickled out of the first 2 heads then nothing at all on all the rest. I cleaned it and then I got maybe a foot spray pattern and the same trickle from the second head and still nothing from the rest. So somewhere the line is either blocked or leaking because there isnt enough pressure to even make the heads pop up all the way. I added a pic of what the sprinklers look like.
You are the perfect example of what i have been saying for years.

Measuring and verifying flow is too easy to do so most people will troubleshoot with a shovel.

If you don't have a meter, pull the bonnet and turn the water on.

DON'T assume leak.
DO test and verify.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-05-2013, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Jim I hate so say it..

but my boss wants me to play shovel muffin on monday "looking for a leak"..I really should hold my guns until he buys me a vac. My thought is to put a master valve on the 2 mains and see how it plays.. When we installed these valves in the ground there was water, it is known this estate is a wetland, there is a natural pond on site.. Water just stays on the surface and my boss is in his mind dig dig dig.. I say master valve first and monitor the well...
arrrgh..

Once before a HOA thought we had a leak on a 2 inch main system..we dug and dug for days.. no leak...Had a plumber come in and plumb up a master valve in each water closet...still the problem came...1 year later we decicded it wasn't a leak...it wasn't...I talked to some people who lived in the area and they said the entire housing site was built on a salt marsh... and at high tide the water came through the curb's, road, sidewalks...They gladly paid us over 5k for digging for a while and putting in pointless valves..
Old 05-05-2013, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not against digging, Eddie. I'm against working stupid when you can work smart.

There too many ways of verifying and isolating leaks without digging the customers landscape up.

Best of luck to you Ed, i left you a voicemail with a couple of ideas.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-05-2013, 12:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

BD79.............Assuming there is a screen in each spray sprinkler, you can turn the screw "off" and accomplish the same thing as "capping off" the sprinklers.....but you probably already know that.

Regards,

Mex
Old 05-05-2013, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Purveyor in a town 70 miles from me alerted a customer that they have a leak. 9gph or .9 cftph, i don't know yet.

First i will verify the leak, then i will try finding it. If i don't get a verification from the meter i will go home. There is no use chasing a ghost just to make a few bucks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-06-2013, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It poured today, called it quits do to the noise of the raindrops interfering with the amplifier.

I did verify the leak, will install a MV and pursue the leak detection in 2 weeks.

Long drive just to get wet.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-07-2013, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Just an update to all..

Discovered we are working with high pressure on a 1.5/2'' pvc and poly main. Pinch clamps would not quiet the poly couples we installed and some fittings have a slight drip..On these 18 garden zones we have a slight leak on multiple poly fittings. All fittings were triple clamped and still just a slight leak every 10 seconds but enough to fill up a valve box that sits right on a clay subsurface.

We/ I decided to put a MV for the time being just to quiet the leaks. Now the issue is how can 2 clocks be able to use 1 MV up stream from the 18 valves. After talking to Jim and GM they suggested I use an ice cube relay or a RIB relay.

Next question is does anyone have any brands they prefer over anything else? I have never done this before and am looking for any input that can help.. the clocks are 2 hunter pro -c's about 14 inches apart..

Thanks for all the help GM/JIM..
ED
Old 05-07-2013, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just installed two ISOLATOR relays for two controllers working off of one pump on a PS relay. Worked like a charm. You must have an ISOLATOR at each clock.

Regards,

Mex