Register free!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-06-2013, 01:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Front Lawn Renovation

Ok, so a few years back we had rain and decent weather, and my Bermuda lawn looked pretty good (about an 8 on a 10 scale). It hit its best the year I dethatched it and laid in about 10 bags of miracle grow potting soil raked in and over seeded. Last few years have been incredibly dry, and my yard suffered because we don't have automatic irrigation. Add to that, we were on water restriction last year for only one day a week.

With a weather outlook this week showing 80-90's for the highs, and 60's for the low, I decided it was time to work our yard.

I watered heavy on Saturday evening, and sunday went over it 3 times with my aerator which worked great. From there, I laid starter fertilizer, and then laid my half my seed and another 8 bags of Miracle grow potting soil spread thinly over the yard using a landscape rake. I was considering getting sand, but due to my last minute decision to do this (while there is a lull in the lawn cutting), all I could get at wally world was the potting soil. I then went back over it with another layer of seed and lightly raked the surface again.

Watered the seed, and now its a waiting game. The seed i used is a Penington Brand of bermuda seed called "Saraha".

Hopefully this will improve the quality of my lawn so the "local Lawn care guy" has a decent lawn this year....LOL.

Any thing I should have done differently? I may aerate again in the fall and level the yard with sand, or should that wail till next spring for that?
2013 Exmark Commercial 30
2014 Exmark Lazer Z S Series EFI 52
2008 Stihl FS250R Trimmer
2010 Stihl FS90R Trimmer
200? Stihl FC75 Edger
2014 Stihl KM130R edger and trimmer shafts

2013 Stihl BR600 Backpack blower