Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-11-2013, 08:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Dawg View Post
I am with you on that and another thing that burns my butt is good ole "Scott" that has been telling everybody around here to "feed yer Lawn" for the last month when the only thing green is the weeds. Mr & Mrs Homeowner thinks it is time because someone that wants to sell as much product as they can told them to.
... then when Joe Schmoe the neighborhood LCO,,, says the exact same thing as good ol' Scott,,, when do the h.o.s learn reality???
Old 04-16-2013, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Along for the ride on this.

All big Ap Co. here apply on frozen ground.

I will feed a weedy lawn fast release with low or no phosphorus intentionally to get the weeds to jump so I can spot spray a bit early.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-16-2013, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Dawg View Post
Because they care more about the money than their customers lawns. Ever wonder why they have adds on TV, raido, papers, magazines, phone, ect...... all the time? They do not care if what they are doing works as long as they keep getting new customers that have hell when trying to cancel.
Posted via Mobile Device
This.

Soil temps around here are 35 degrees. Don't think we will hit 60 deg soil temps for QUITE some time. Yet some of the large companies here are flinging pre.
Dingdongs.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 04-17-2013, 05:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm reminded of a h.o. telling me that the grass is only green when it first breaks dormancy, becuz of an optical issusion after months of white and brown...
It's as if the average h.o. believes that getting the grass to be doing well as it breaks dormancy will need fert RIGHT NOW... it is funny how these ol' wives' tales continue to grow and how easy it is for the slick huckster can seem like a hero,,, by getting to their lawns as quickly as they do...
Old 05-01-2013, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Member

better to be early than late
Old 05-01-2013, 07:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GALAWN View Post
better to be early than late
Sounds like a Southern comment... here where the ground freezes there is a whole different perspective on the fools flinging pre/fert months in advance...
Old 05-05-2013, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsfan1 View Post
I have had my pesticeide license for 3 years now and am still learning a lot but I guess I dont understand why tru green is already making lawn applications here in northern illinois when the ground temp is only around 40 degrees.
Posted via Mobile Device
They have 10's of thousands of customers to take care of. Most lawn care companies if they could would be out in Feb. throwing fertilizer done to add profit.

Crabgrass germinates when soil temps hit 60 degrees for 7-10 day (Purdue University study) Soil temps in northern Illinois have averaged 55.2 and have hit 60 once this past week.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadoorsron View Post
They have 10's of thousands of customers to take care of. Most lawn care companies if they could would be out in Feb. throwing fertilizer done to add profit.

Crabgrass germinates when soil temps hit 60 degrees for 7-10 day (Purdue University study) Soil temps in northern Illinois have averaged 55.2 and have hit 60 once this past week.
I have too much work to do so let's waste money and materials on frozen ground with the added BONUS of polluting lakes, rivers and streams...

CG doesn't germinate in Decent grass anyways,,, so all thousands of lawns continue to be sub-standard year after year???

LCOs need to EDUCATE clients about the wise use of Pre-M,,, by first learning the wise use of it themselves...
Old 05-06-2013, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
I have too much work to do so let's waste money and materials on frozen ground with the added BONUS of polluting lakes, rivers and streams...

CG doesn't germinate in Decent grass anyways,,, so all thousands of lawns continue to be sub-standard year after year???

LCOs need to EDUCATE clients about the wise use of Pre-M,,, by first learning the wise use of it themselves...
All depends what the Soil temperature is at. In Illinois we have a law that eliminates the spreading of fert on frozen soil. Soon as the soil temp hit 33 it's free game in Illinois. Companies will get out as soon as they can to start making money. Trugreen does not use pre-m on their first application. It's the second of 8 application in Illinois that gets the Pre-m.

Education of your clients is key to a successful turf program. However, results speak louder.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Results are the best education... it takes 8 apps in IL to gets results from sqirt&fert guys to get results, educates me quite a bit...