Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-03-2013, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Not all Honda engines, just these HRX machines with the BBC. Every one I've seen new out of the box surges at idle from its first tank of gas. No way it is a carb issue shipped like that.
I do agree that the surging in the video was pretty extreme, and it would get a bit better with new carb.

I don't think it is strictly related to the low RPM, just that there is almost no flywheel weight on these setups with the clutch disengaged.
If there were a real lean condition, it would surge with the blade engaged too.

And you're right. Cleaning these carbs really isn't worth the effort at the replacement cost.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well...... I guess I've got the only one on the planet that doesn't surge at idle in my work bay this very minute, And it's the same exact model C & T is work'n on. I've worked on many of these and never had one leave surging, The mentioned one came in with a bent crank but still idles/runs like it should....
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 05-04-2013, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C & T Landscaping View Post
So far Ive spent roughly $10 for a mower that retails for a few hundred, I think I win
Just because they retail for what dollar amount doesn't mean yours is worth that.
If you were to try and sell it, you would get nowhere retail for it.
Not even close, and that's if it's in good, running condition.
And you need to calculate your labor, too.
Plus transport costs, I am sure by now you're up to between $50 and $70.
Buy that carburetor, add another $15 PLUS shipping AND about another hour labor.
You're fast closing in on $100.

Nothing in this world is free.

But it is a Honda, and that HRR is a nice mower that sold new for $400.
If only because of that, I'll side with you and say you probably did win.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
Just because they retail for what dollar amount doesn't mean yours is worth that.
If you were to try and sell it, you would get nowhere retail for it.
Not even close, and that's if it's in good, running condition.
And you need to calculate your labor, too.
Plus transport costs, I am sure by now you're up to between $50 and $70.
Buy that carburetor, add another $15 PLUS shipping AND about another hour labor.
You're fast closing in on $100.

Nothing in this world is free.

But it is a Honda, and that HRR is a nice mower that sold new for $400.
If only because of that, I'll side with you and say you probably did win.
Oh, I know. I know it isn't worth that much. I don't plan on selling any of the 3 atm either. Labor cost isn't anything either as I'm just doing it when I'm bored...plus I'm learning. Been quite awhile since I've worked on any small engine, so it's more fun for me than work. Thanks.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Member

May I ask you on your honda fleet do you ever see the motors smoke and then seem to just stop smoking and seem normal? Also and this may seem strange but my HRR216 seems to run smoother on 87 octane as opposed to 93.Actualy ran rough on 93!
Old 05-06-2013, 01:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREENWITHENVY1 View Post
May I ask you on your honda fleet do you ever see the motors smoke and then seem to just stop smoking and seem normal? Also and this may seem strange but my HRR216 seems to run smoother on 87 octane as opposed to 93.Actualy ran rough on 93!
If thats towards me, I can't answer at the moment as only one is running. The one that is kinda running doesn't smoke at all though. I'll be working on the other one in a bit to see if she'll start. I think I read somewhere that Honda like 87 octane more....but don't quote me on that.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Had the same problem on my HRC 216. Cleaned the air vent on the gas cap and problem went away. Worth a try.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Have a 1 year old Honda HRX, was surging from day one when idling with blades not engaged. Installed new ($15) carburetor and it is running perfect now.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Surging usually indicates the fuel/air ratio is wrong, often a too-lean condition.

Keep in mind, too-lean can mean TWO issues: not enough fuel OR too much air.

Replacing or absolute cleaning of the carburetor usually resolves the "not enough fuel" problem. If the engine continues to surge, it's likely getting too much air, a.k.a., vacuum leak. To avoid this, never re-use gaskets, always replace with new ones, and be sure to snug down on the carburetor mounting bolts.

It's easy enough to confirm a vacuum leak. When the engine is running, spraying a little bit of carb cleaner around the outside of the carburetor/intake areas will cause the engine to smooth out briefly when the fuel/air ratio is momentarily at the perfect mix.

-Robert@Honda
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C & T Landscaping View Post
So I got a call from my uncle about these three older honda mowers he is getting rid of, and asked if I wanted them. So I picked them up and got to work on the best looking one. My brother and I got it to run and cut...but at idle, the motor surges (see video) Once you engage the blades the surge stops and it runs fine, you disengage the blades, its back to the surge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXsx8...ature=youtu.be

What we've done:

Removed, cleaned and reset the gap distance on the ignition coil. (Wasn't getting spark, now it is)
Removed and checked the safety switch (works)
Removed and cleaned the carb. Soaked in Mineral spirits, then soaked in Gum Out.
Changed the oil twice. (It was black, Not sure he ever changed it...)

I'm thinking that its the carb still, after numerous soaks and blowing out with air. When I took it apart the first time, it was gummed up with a reddish hard material, not rust though. I have no idea how long it has sit in his garage, but like I said, I think its something in the jets still gummed up. Was just wondering what you guys think. Thanks in advance.

(Btw, the mower is very dirty and greasy...once I get it running good she'll get a good bath)
I am so pissed I bought this specific mower. I swear my thumb hurts for two days every week after I mow the yard. I absolutely HATE with a passion the way the self propel works on this mower. Worst design ever!!!!!