Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-01-2013, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We've been using it for a few days now and I can report one problem/issue we've run into so far. The problem is that you have to HOLD DOWN the button on the saw, as you cut. So that means you only have one hand with which to cut your paver. And that's fine for straight cuts. Because the table just keeps the paver straight pretty much.

But if you are doing an angled cut, then you really need two hands on that paver, as you're cutting. In this case, it's difficult because you need one hand on the saw, another on the left of the paver, and another on the right of the paver. So obviously, since we don't have 3 hands, this presents a problem.

So I caught my guys going back to the old paver saw, due to this problem.

Since I am serious about eliminating dust, I made them go back to this new saw. Our solution was to zip-tie the trigger so that the saw stays on by itself (like every other saw that we have does). Then we hooked up a remote control unit to the power cord and they have a little fob that sits on the saw and they can press a button to turn it on and then press the remote control button again and it goes off. This solved that problem, even though it's kind of a work-around.

I talked with the rep. for this company, he is well aware of this issue. He said others have done just what we did to get around it and they're working on having future models with an on-off button but haven't been able to do that yet, for some complicated reasons.

Other than that, this saw has been working really well.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 05-05-2013, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just be careful with that Zip Tie on the power button. All that it will take is for somebody to get hurt and it'll be on you because you modified or defeated what could be considered a safety feature. Maybe I've just become super sensitive to this kind of stuff because I've been sued so many times over the last several years for bogus injury claims. Just be aware that an injured employee with an a$$hole, dirtbag attorney would have a field day with this.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

why wouldnt they make this like a wood style table saw or like other electric saws where the table moves and the saw doesn't chop? on/ off switch and i feel like the dust collection would be much easier. I know I would prefer a sliding style vs chop. my current saw does both and I always have it bolted since I never use the chop feature
Old 05-06-2013, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Unfortunately, the sliding table top is currently and "add-on" feature, and not standard. I agree though that and on/off switch would be nice, as well as the top being Standard. The saw also does not come with the moveable stand- that is an "add-on" as well....
Old 05-06-2013, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalLandscapeMgmt View Post
Just be careful with that Zip Tie on the power button. All that it will take is for somebody to get hurt and it'll be on you because you modified or defeated what could be considered a safety feature. Maybe I've just become super sensitive to this kind of stuff because I've been sued so many times over the last several years for bogus injury claims. Just be aware that an injured employee with an a$$hole, dirtbag attorney would have a field day with this.
Sure. I guess they could. But how, exactly, is this any less safe than any of the other chop saws that we have that stay on all the time (have an on/off button)? This is the exact same thing. Just accomplished it in a different way. But as far as safety goes, it's no more or less safe than any of our other saws that stay on until you turn them off.

Old 05-06-2013, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It's not really, but you have to think like an attorney. The saw was wasn't designed to stay on all the time but you have added a work around to make it do so. It could be argued that you defeated a safety feature. I'm not saying that I agree I'm just saying that you'd be amazed at what personal injury attorneys will try to (and many times successfully) argue. I've learned over the last 5 years that common sense does not prevail when it comes to work place injuries and the related litigation that often follows.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yah, you could be right. But I have worker's comp. and an umbrella policy covering me. So I guess if they made it over those limits, I'd have some liability. It's a little bit of a risk. But a minor one, I figure. And I didn't make it to the size of co. I have now by not taking risks. This is one I'm willing to take.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLewis View Post
Just purchased one of these this morning (IQ360 by IQ Power Tools) and we're using on the job right now. Man! I've been looking for something like this for years! I've seen some of the ones posted online here before but the price point was very high and it seemed pretty bulky. I found this one locally at my paver supplier and it is very compact, super easy to use and so far we haven't had any dust come out of the saw at all! It's pretty amazing how well it works. Cost me $2200 with the saw, table, cart, blade, and all.

We bought it mainly because there is no dust, if you use it properly. But the other nice thing is the cutting blade is manufactured by this same company and is 50% more quiet than your normal 14" masonry blade and doesn't need to be wet. Cuts pretty quickly totally dry.

I found some videos on YouTube on this thing. The first video doesn't show the table or the cart that it comes with. )I highly recommend getting both if you buy one of these). Especially the cart). The second video is hard to hear but the display unit they have there is see-through so you can see how it handles the dust.

This is the first paver job I've done where we have no dust to clean up. This is going to be nice! Hopefully this machine is built to last. They assured me it was. I guarantee my 3 install crews will be fighting over who gets this each week! Haha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2k9R624JbE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9gCREpmOnA

Where did you buy this saw? I looked on IQ's website and they didn't list any dealers in the Portland area.

Thanks
Old 05-15-2013, 01:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Willamette Graystone. The saw has been great. Still using it daily. We had it on a jobsite running all afternoon today.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Follow up on this saw. Turns out the BIGGEST problem with this saw is that it takes a 20 amp circuit for it to really run continuously without problems. Our problem is that the majority of homes in our area don't have any or very many 20a circuits in their home. So then we either have to go back to using our previous saw, or rent a generator.

Because of these two problems with this saw (no constant on button, as I mentioned above in this threat, and this problem with constantly tripping breakers) I cannot recommend this saw. If they could fix those two problems, this would be a great saw. It does a great job of eliminating dust and definitely is more quiet than our other brick saws. But this problem of constantly tripping breakers is really a killer for me. Therefore, I cannot recommend this saw any longer. If I can be a guinea pig for you guys to learn from, then I guess at least something good comes from me wasting $2.2k on a saw.