Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-05-2013, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Need Help Removing a Tranny Belt from My 36" Lesco Walk Behind

I have an early 90's lesco 36" commercial walk behind and love it. Seems hard for me to find parts and a manual, however, i guess that is for another thread. I noticed at the end of last season my power going up hills was going. This year i can't go up any inclines what so ever. My idler pulley is adjusted all the way over as tight as i can make the belt with no success. When in neutral the pulleys spin like crazy when i put it in gear the pulleys just stop spinning now. I removed the tranny pulley and it looks really warped, so i ordered what i hope is one of those. I figured i will change the belt as well while i am down there and can't figure out how to remove the drive pulley so i can take the tranny belt off. I removed the two visible bolts from the drive pulley (double decker) and i will not budge, tried to pry and i stopped and figured i better ask for help. Any removing this belt would be great, also anyone that knows where i can get a manual for a early 90's lesco i would owe you big.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I don't know how much luck you will have but you may want to check with John Deere. John Deere Landscapes bought out Lesco in the early to mid 2000's, 2004-2006 or so and are, as far as I know, still producing some equipment under the Lesco name. It's possible that they can provide you with a breakdown/parts info.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msperanzo View Post
, I noticed at the end of last season my power going up hills was going. This year i can't go up any inclines what so ever. My idler pulley is adjusted all the way over as tight as i can make the belt with no success. When in neutral the pulleys spin like crazy when i put it in gear the pulleys just stop spinning now. I removed the tranny pulley and it looks really warped, so i ordered what i hope is one of those. I figured i will change the belt as well while i am down there and can't figure out how to remove the drive pulley so i can take the tranny belt off. I removed the two visible bolts from the drive pulley (double decker) and i will not budge, tried to pry and i stopped and figured i better ask for help. Any removing this belt would be great, also anyone that knows where i can get a manual for a early 90's lesco i would owe you big.
Well, 1 st off, unless you have a different set up that I haven't seen, you should not have to take any pulley off to change the trans belt.

Take the engine to deck belt off the engine pulley, you will have to loosen the 2 belt guides, with the adjustable idler pulley loose and all the way over, just slid the Trans belt off the trans pulley.

Replacing the trans belt may be just part of your problem.

If the two pulleys on the end of the jackshafts,( I'll assume you are running a Peerless 5 speed trans) that drive the wheels are worn out, even a new double belt will rider up on the center rib. If the inside of the pulleys are shiny and worn down, replace them.

If they are not worn down, then a simple adjustment of the linkage
might fix the drive problem.

Let me know what you find. As far as a parts book, just go to your JD/Lesco dealer and ask him to print one out for you. I have not been able to find one online.....

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic

RTFM What a concept

Old 05-07-2013, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msperanzo View Post
Seems hard for me to find parts and a manual,
Lets see if I can do this. This is the only one I have from the mid early 90s
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Lesco 48 inch 1992.pdf (866.7 KB, 49 views)

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic

RTFM What a concept

Tags
belt removal , belts , lesco , transmission belt