Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-07-2013, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

2012-13 f150 with 3.5 ecoboost?

well my curiosity got the best of me and had some free time, so i stopped by one of my local ford dealers and drove the number one selling pick up truck in the country, the f150, I test drove a fully loaded super crew, with the 3.5 eco boost and i will say the 365hp it makes with the turbo really makes it scoot along very nicely, the 6spd transmission compliments the power perfectly. the heated and air cooled seats work great on a hot day....and the towing capacity of 11,000lbs makes it possible for it to tow a trailer in a back up situation if my f350 was to break down. i have no doubt this truck could easily tow my lawn trailer which is a dual axle 18' big tex 10pi with my scag cheetah no issues and get the same if not better fuel economy then my 7.3 turbo diesel f350 with a tuner in it, and the f150 is actually comfortable to drive and i don't have to worry about it breaking down like a newer diesel truck, plus empty they supposedly get over 20mpg on the highway. Anyone using this combo for doing estimates or as a personal vehicle? thoughts? the msrp was a little scary at 50,000 but i'm sure the truck could be bought closer to 35,000 with some patience...
Old 05-07-2013, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I've been seriously considering them but I need the option to move larger equipment as well
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-07-2013, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
I've been seriously considering them but I need the option to move larger equipment as well
Posted via Mobile Device
yah, I have my 96 f350 7.3 turbo diesel that i can tow my dads skid steer and mini x with if i need to rent them from him, i use my 10pi for lawns so that doubles as an equipment trailer and i have a 7x14 dump trailer that i'll tow with my f350 so i have the heavy towing down. i would use the truck more for doing estimates, running errands, going out, running to the nursery to pick up plants, shrubs probably would end up towing my landscape trailer, but not for doing lawns, or anything where the seats and stuff would getting covered in dirt/grass/ mud.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would still rather have an f250/f350 for our situation we have an old 1998 chevy 1500 with 330k on it and it still tows I think 9k but its getting old. Just a personal preference. I feel more comfortable towing with more truck than I need than just enough to get by. JMO
Stihl and Echo handhelds
Commercial Applicator Certified in 3A and 3B
Old 05-07-2013, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidmows View Post
I would still rather have an f250/f350 for our situation we have an old 1998 chevy 1500 with 330k on it and it still tows I think 9k but its getting old. Just a personal preference. I feel more comfortable towing with more truck than I need than just enough to get by. JMO
i would be keeping the f350 i have, which has never let me down, and its at 278,000 but the f150 would be more for estimates and running around, maybe taking customers to the nursery to pick out plants/trees something that rides nicer, and is nicer probably would see very little towing and any towing it would do would be very light duty...3-6000lbs which really isn't much considering its rated for 11,300 which i think is more then my 96 f350 but i've towed 12,000lbs comfortably several times.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yea if its a truck for running around and taking mower to the shop im sure it would be the perfect truck but that price tag is a little bit scary...
Stihl and Echo handhelds
Commercial Applicator Certified in 3A and 3B
Old 05-07-2013, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

2012-13 f150 with 3.5 ecoboost?

I've been thinking about the new half Ton dodges same story prly would even get 2wd for Max fuel economy. Would more then likely pull my 6x12 enclosed. I think some people go to big with trucks. But I'm solo and can take it easy in things where guys with crews probably need heavier duty equipment from employee abuse
00 chevy 3500 dump
03 dodge dakota
4 ferris wb
1 ferris ztr
2 exmark ztr
lesco spreader sprayer stand on
case 1845
western plows
Old 05-08-2013, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidmows View Post
Yea if its a truck for running around and taking mower to the shop im sure it would be the perfect truck but that price tag is a little bit scary...
yes it is, that's the only thing stopping me, i would probably drive the truck every i need to go anytime i not towing, because right now my 96 f350 regular cab is my only vehicle, so something a little more personal would be really nice. i can probably get one for 40,000 maybe even high 30's idk i gotta send the dealer a counter offer and see if they are willing to play ball or not.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

just out of curiosity what kind of mileage are you seeing towing with f350? i have heard that the ecoboosts aren't really any better on fuel than any other half ton when towing. my old '11 silverado with a 5.3 would get 21mpg on the highway empty, but even towing my 10' trailer with mesh gate I would only see about 11mpg.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:59 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

its all smoke and mirrors. my 99silverado 5.3 got the same mpg as my buddys 2013 eco boast ford on a trip we took in a convoy