Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-06-2013, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That kid is a ignorant idiot. I'd fire him in a heartbeat. What balls on the kid to talk to you like that. Even from his family as well. The people and there self entitlement now a days. You treated him real good and he acts like that. Tell him to pound sand for me please!!!!!!! Rant over.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Just for the sake of conversation, let's look at it a different way: Most business owners at some point say to themselves, their staff and their clients, "yes, we are more expensive than some of the competition, but we feel we provide a good value so we charge more."

What this kid said is, in some ways, an extension of that line of thinking. I think it's a real challenge for any owner to motivate their staff to provide a level of service that justifies higher prices, while balancing that against a need to turn a profit. You want them to work better so you can charge more, and it's easy to see how your labor force could feel entitled to some portion of that additional revenue that their work helped to generate.

This guy sounds pretty tactless, though. Put another way; he's probably more cut out to be an owner than an employee.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

He should bounce twice when you throw him out the door
Old 05-07-2013, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you get rid of him, at least give him a 'learning' explanation.

I started out washing dishes in high school and quit when I was 18 after 3-4 years. I think I finished up making .75 more than when I started.

Also have worked in stores like Banana Republic and ended up never getting a raise.

Jobs starting out at less than 10/hr rarely give raises and when they do it is usually like .50 and the company even makes a big deal out of that.

You did not give him realistic expectations (for future jobs like this) giving him a substantial raise every month
Old 05-07-2013, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Offer him $10 or $11 an hour to stay. Ultimately, he probably needs to go, but I do not know your history with him so I can't give you that advise. Counteroffer his offer.
1999 F350 7.3 PSD flatbed
20' enclosed, 16' open, 14' dump
3 Walker MT 48", Toro Z500 60",
Toro proline 48", Dixon ZTR 42"
Stihl small equipment
SC licensed pesticide applicator
Old 05-10-2013, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Send him down the road. You'd be doing him a favor in the long run by teaching him a hard learned life lesson. We've all been there and hopefully, most of us are better off because of it. Don't worry about his feelings either, sounds like he's been coddled enough.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Use big corp tactics on him. Sit him down and say look little johnny, times are tough, economy is bad, Obama is going to take more of my bottom line. So I'm going to need you to step up to the plate. In order to preserve your position I'm going to need you to take a 3 dollar an hour pay cut. Surely you've seen the news, its happening to all employees. Have a box tissues ready.
Posted via Mobile Device