Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-06-2013, 01:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Not much is going on. It was raining and been cloudy the last 5 days. From yesterday i am watering 20 min at 10am, 1pm and 5pm.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

zoysia zenith in FL?

We have over 30 yards that are Empire. All are cut too high, thatchy and more brown than green. Customers want that thick carpet look. Battling fungus constantly and all our new installs want Zoysia too. Trying my best to educate not just the customers but my Maintenance Supervisor on cutting height and watering. Of course I'm not too impressed with our St Aug yards this year and Centipede well I guess it's a "desirable" turf. Seems to be a rough year up here in NWF and I'm not looking forward to the Mole Cricket or Chinch Bug season.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug1980 View Post
We have over 30 yards that are Empire. All are cut too high, thatchy and more brown than green. Customers want that thick carpet look. Battling fungus constantly and all our new installs want Zoysia too. Trying my best to educate not just the customers but my Maintenance Supervisor on cutting height and watering. Of course I'm not too impressed with our St Aug yards this year and Centipede well I guess it's a "desirable" turf. Seems to be a rough year up here in NWF and I'm not looking forward to the Mole Cricket or Chinch Bug season.
Thick carpet look? Thats an oxymoron. No reason to buy empire zoysia if its going to get maintained at 2.5" or higher.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-08-2013, 03:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Gardener View Post
Thick carpet look? Thats an oxymoron. No reason to buy empire zoysia if its going to get maintained at 2.5" or higher.
Posted via Mobile Device
Emerald zoysia looks like a carpet when it is well fertilized and mowed at less than 1". I hate it when zoysia is sold without the truth disclosed about its mowing requirements. Want to mow with a rotary? Then Bahia, centipede or St Augustine is the appropriate grass for you.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 05-08-2013, 06:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug1980 View Post
What fungus are your customers battling?
Old 05-08-2013, 07:29 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jovanoty View Post
Not much is going on. It was raining and been cloudy the last 5 days. From yesterday i am watering 20 min at 10am, 1pm and 5pm.

On the sprinkler system, do you realize by not putting heads on the opposing side you will not get even distribution of water? How far is it across the area? From the pics it looks like it may be too short for rotors. Not knocking your system but just trying to help. Too many times I've seen grass fail or do poorly because the irrigation was poorly designed.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
On the sprinkler system, do you realize by not putting heads on the opposing side you will not get even distribution of water? How far is it across the area? From the pics it looks like it may be too short for rotors. Not knocking your system but just trying to help. Too many times I've seen grass fail or do poorly because the irrigation was poorly designed.

Across is 13f, head to head is 10f. Those are Hunter PGJ, and i have 6 on this spot. Maybe is not perfect, but it looks like the way they are now is good.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Emerald zoysia looks like a carpet when it is well fertilized and mowed at less than 1". I hate it when zoysia is sold without the truth disclosed about its mowing requirements. Want to mow with a rotary? Then Bahia, centipede or St Augustine is the appropriate grass for you.
For sure...happens all the time here. Landscapers and nurseries push it and don't inform through customer on the real needs and then you get a crummy lawn. I looked at a property last week that had empire zoysia full of weeds, yellow, puffy and thatchy as hell. I wont be winning that bid lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-09-2013, 03:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

In Hawaii, zoysia is a comparatively low maintenance grass. Chokes out weeds, disease resistant, fairly pest resistant, and tolerant of partial shade. However, it has to be mowed low and fertilized. Failure to mow low causes the grass to thatch and have all kinds of tropical grassy weeds. Thank goodness it is usually too dry for diseases. Although, I have seen zoysia patch out and die when it is irrigated generously.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 05-09-2013, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
In Hawaii, zoysia is a comparatively low maintenance grass. Chokes out weeds, disease resistant, fairly pest resistant, and tolerant of partial shade. However, it has to be mowed low and fertilized. Failure to mow low causes the grass to thatch and have all kinds of tropical grassy weeds. Thank goodness it is usually too dry for diseases. Although, I have seen zoysia patch out and die when it is irrigated generously.
I glad Zoysia works for you. Here in S W Florida our lack of SOM and alkaline Calcareous sand makes Zoysia a hard keeper. Add in Salt water intuition in our coastal wells and Seashore Paspalum is a Better choice with the same Texture and easier maintenance.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.