Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-06-2013, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I had someone ask me to pick every weed out of an acre and a half yard before mowing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-06-2013, 02:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
I had someone ask me to pick every weed out of an acre and a half yard before mowing.
Posted via Mobile Device
When I get one of these, I usually respond with "there is enough money"
They usually look confused and then the light comes on...
Old 05-06-2013, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6rs97 View Post
I had a client last year. Complained his last guy didn't cut behind the pool filter, shed or weed one small front garden. Made it a point to get that done every week. Even hit all weeds on the walk and patio. Kept this years renewal same price.... drove past and he got someone else.... really?
Probably has a friend or relation that just started a lawn care service. It happens.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

"I was out of town for 3 weeks and I have no proof you were here so I am not paying you for those services you CLAIM to have done."

That exact thing has happened to me twice this season leaving me two $100+ bills not paid and me kicking them to the curb. There are some people that just drive me nuts.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The Mrs. best friend got divorced recently. I cut her grass once last season. Nice older home on about 2 acres. I knew she was having a tough time, so I said i'd do it for $25. Her son was going to trim. So I think I'm done, and she comes out to point at a big field connected and says "we cut that too". Another 2.5 acres knee high like hers was. Not wanting to cause any issue or upset her, I just smile and nod. Still had plenty of daylight. She's planning to get a mower and have her son do it next year (this season).

Fast forward to last weds. She asked the Mrs, "see if GG can cut my grass soon"? Next afternoon it starts raining, and rains for three days. Last night I told the Mrs her friend is "on for tomorrow". Her place is not exactly near my route, so I drove about 20 miles to get there. To see another LCO about half done cutting the knee high grass...REALLY?

Now for my favorite part. On the way home, I was trying to find a bright spot in this shitty deal. I thought... I wonder how much Brand X got for this job? So I ask the mrs. to find out. Can you believe she got mad that I would ask her to confront her friend? "Just let it go". Oh my god, I was seeing stars.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-08-2013, 07:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassGuerilla View Post
The Mrs. best friend got divorced recently. I cut her grass once last season. Nice older home on about 2 acres. I knew she was having a tough time, so I said i'd do it for $25. Her son was going to trim. So I think I'm done, and she comes out to point at a big field connected and says "we cut that too". Another 2.5 acres knee high like hers was. Not wanting to cause any issue or upset her, I just smile and nod. Still had plenty of daylight. She's planning to get a mower and have her son do it next year (this season).

Fast forward to last weds. She asked the Mrs, "see if GG can cut my grass soon"? Next afternoon it starts raining, and rains for three days. Last night I told the Mrs her friend is "on for tomorrow". Her place is not exactly near my route, so I drove about 20 miles to get there. To see another LCO about half done cutting the knee high grass...REALLY?

Now for my favorite part. On the way home, I was trying to find a bright spot in this shitty deal. I thought... I wonder how much Brand X got for this job? So I ask the mrs. to find out. Can you believe she got mad that I would ask her to confront her friend? "Just let it go". Oh my god, I was seeing stars.
Posted via Mobile Device
No good deed goes unpunished.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 05-08-2013, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you mowed 4.5 acres for 25 she helped you BC you lost money
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-08-2013, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddensLawnCare View Post
If you mowed 4.5 acres for 25 she helped you BC you lost money
Posted via Mobile Device
You read that and think my motivation was profit? I was just trying to do her a favor. Attaching a minimal charge to cover fuel (and allow her to keep her dignity). Yeah, I Lowballed myself out of the "job".

I'm thinking it would be more like $95 for HER yard, and another $45 or so to do no mans land. And I typically double that for an initial yard rescue. Yes. I know I was going to completely give my time away to someone in need of help. Thanks for pointing out my flawed business plan.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-08-2013, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Had a clean and mulch job three years ago charged 150 for 2 yards of mulch and cleanup. The next year they move and now its 10 yards and 3 yards of pine bark mulch quoted 1100. Needless to say they were not happy, I explained why and was told ok. After the work was over she tells Me oh my brother in law will do it from now on you charge to much.

Got a call yesterday "can you come fix my flowerbeds" I said thought your family was going to do it? reply no they said it was to hard. I told her sorry I don't do that anymore only mow. She got mad, I said maybe you can make him cookies.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassGuerilla View Post
You read that and think my motivation was profit? I was just trying to do her a favor. Attaching a minimal charge to cover fuel (and allow her to keep her dignity). Yeah, I Lowballed myself out of the "job".

I'm thinking it would be more like $95 for HER yard, and another $45 or so to do no mans land. And I typically double that for an initial yard rescue. Yes. I know I was going to completely give my time away to someone in need of help. Thanks for pointing out my flawed business plan.
Posted via Mobile Device
4.5 acres is a $200-$225 job.

i know you were trying to help out but geez man. $25???

helping out you should've still charged $100-$150.