Click for Weather

Old 01-17-2013, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Interesting thread

"There is no such thing as failure. There are only results." – Tony Robbins

Enough Said...
Old 05-04-2013, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

To follow-up with my op, the website has been hands down the best money I've ever spent. I put the website together in Dec and in the last month my phone has been ringing off the hook, and had tons of quote request submissions. ROI is crushing my direct mail campaign of a few years ago.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I put in a lot of hours getting up a website, but financially it's only about $130/year or so. It has yielded more calls than my 2000 door hangers and 1700 post cards put together. An online presence is very important. My worst advertising is post cards. I paid around 700 bucks to have 1700 sent out and I have received 1-2 weekly clients from it, and 1 other one time spraying job. Pretty disappointing.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:03 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Web presence is essential these days, might as well forget door hangers, flyers and direct mail the cost is too high and the ROI just isn't there. once you've been around for a few years word of mouth will take over on it's own.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Business cards are still the best money I've spent and I always make sure I have 10 or so with me. We picked up 2 regular customers in the past couple of weeks by leaving business cards on the newspaper counter at a convenience store near our neighborhood. Try to be creative with how you use them, you never know what will happen.
Husqvarna 223L Trimmer
Husqvarna 326LS Trimmer
Husqvarna 580BTS Blower
Husqvarna BT150 Blower
Kawasaki KHDS600 Hedge Trimmer
Toro Multi-Tool
RedMax BM46i Backpack Sprayer
Carry On 5.5 x 10 Open Trailer
2004 Toyota Tacoma

The next time someone complains about your pricing, ask them how much their barber would charge to come over and cut their hair.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
Web presence is essential these days, might as well forget door hangers, flyers and direct mail the cost is too high and the ROI just isn't there. once you've been around for a few years word of mouth will take over on it's own.

My return so far on the postcards was pretty weak unfortunately.
Of 3100:
1. Cheap old guy that keeps wanting to negotiate via email on his failing multi tier wall w/ 2 sets of steps
2. Cheap lady that has a backyard with a 60 degree slope who of which is hoping to get a 78' long by 3' tall retaining wall, rock installed on the down slope below, topsoil at the top to bring the grade to almost even with her patio and absolutely zero equipment access with no where to even operate equipment from, all for $5000. Nice joke!
3. Crazy black lady with an a$$hole prick husband who wants a patio underneath their addition & deck with an 18' gap square around each footing post.
4. Multiple calls for fert/weed control program, without burning a drop of fuel in my truck I use a website that allows the measuring of areas via google maps, I then figure the total square footage and give them a price based on my rates. Being as most of these properties are very close, I lowered the prices a tad but still, cheap a$$es.

Having SEO incorporated into my website along with an extremely professional (and expensive!) website in itself helps a lot. Referrals have done the most (volume wise) with large landscape installs. Maintenance accts are few and far between it seems, I'm not sure if my postcard and prices for full service scared ppl away or morons out there doing stuff for next to nothing and fertilizing illegally are taking everything? With the install market improving for my company currently, that's what we'll focus on aside from handling the existing maintenance clients.

Thankfully I have recurring install clients that want some maintenance done on stuff as well as more installs done.
Exmark TTHP 36"
225 Gal MN Wanner Skid Sprayer
8' Boss RT3 Straight Blade

Licensed Applicator

Graduate - Anoka Technical College w/ Associate's in Hort/Landscape - May 2013
In business since Feb 2011
22 Years Old

When you have systems, you have control.

Last edited by JContracting; 05-09-2013 at 01:59 AM.