Register free!

Old 05-07-2013, 01:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
Ummm, I already posted what I disagreed with, specifically your comments on compost. Since you apparently missed it ....
Further as an example, compost used for re-vegetation & erosion control.....

http://www.utexas.edu/research/ctr/p...s/0_4403_2.pdf

http://www.erosioncontrol.com/EC/Art...rage_4811.aspx
If you insist on posting a link to a 159 page pdf as your authority, little or none of which appear to address Snyder's main point in any event, would you be so kind as to include page references to the pertinent sections (if any). A mass dump of largely irrelevant information is not proof of anything.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by maynardGkeynes View Post
If you insist on posting a link to a 159 page pdf as your authority, little or none of which appear to address Snyder's main point in any event, would you be so kind as to include page references to the pertinent sections (if any). A mass dump of largely irrelevant information is not proof of anything.
Wow, you read that 159 page paper mighty quick Maynard. Actually it does address it specifically and is hardly irrelevant. Further, the second link is not a 159 page pdf. Snyder made some incorrect statements about compost. I disagreed and asked for references. I also provided some references showing compost is indeed used for state seeding/erosion control projects. His references ..... none. If you don't like the references I provided ...... tough.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Member

This is the crap I used:

http://www.scotts.com/smg/goprod/sta...er/prod100048/

I hate Scott's products. I had my wife pick this up, i know - my first mistake, for me and she said this is all they had for starter fertilizer. I figured I would give it a shot and figures it has come back to bite me. Figures.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-07-2013, 02:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
I never heard of starter with weed control.
I HAVE heard of starter with crabgrass control (Tupersan--siduron)...this product should work OK...provided you put down the proper amount.

What were the active ingredients?
Mesotrione (example .... Tenacity), based on what he used, which is listed as safe to use at the same time as seeding/overseeding in KBG, PRG, and fescue (with limitation), providing it is used as directed.

http://turf.wsu.edu/Documents/Resear...%20Seminar.pdf

Last edited by Kiril; 05-07-2013 at 02:51 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Wow, you read that 159 page paper mighty quick Maynard...
Normally, I don't read the entire white pages of the phone book when looking for a single telephone number. Do you? Actually, in this case, I used the search function in Adobe Acrobat on the word "straw," which I took to be the subject of Snyder's main contention, which you had dismissed. There was a single reference to "straw" in the bibliography to a study that did not involve turf. BTW, I happen to agree that compost is better, but the neither the pdf nor the web link you provided addressed the relative merits of straw vs. compost as seed cover, which I took to be the main bone of contention.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by maynardGkeynes View Post
Normally, I don't read the entire white pages of the phone book when looking for a single telephone number. Do you? Actually, in this case, I used the search function in Adobe Acrobat on the word "straw," which I took to be the subject of Snyder's main contention, which you had dismissed. There was a single reference to "straw" in the bibliography to a study that did not involve turf. BTW, I happen to agree that compost is better, but the neither the pdf nor the web link you provided addressed the relative merits of straw vs. compost as seed cover, which I took to be the main bone of contention.
You need to pay attention Maynard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
I know some say on here will say no need put straw down just compost and water. But who can go by each day to water the spots with straw it will hold the moisture and will hold heat in longer. So the seed can germinate faster.

Quote:
Couldn't disagree more. Do you have some references to support your assertion that straw will hold more water and heat the soil more than compost? Last time I checked compost not only holds more water, but will reduce the need to irrigate (reduce evaporation) and will heat the soil faster (lower albedo).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
30+ years Last time I check Its hold moisture and hold heat in better then no seed cover

I have done a lot state jobs and never seen it in the spec book to put compost down for seed cover.
Always been straw or hydro mulch.
If you think compost is a better seed cover then straw. You think the state would have it in there spec book.
Fars that goes out all the job I have ever done. Never seen compost in the spec book. You think if it was the best stuff on earth they would have it in the spec book.

Its your right to disagree just like I disagree doing seeding on bare ground with out a seed cover like straw or hydro mulch.
Quote:
Ummm, I already posted what I disagreed with, specifically your comments on compost. Since you apparently missed it ....

Further as an example, compost used for re-vegetation & erosion control.....

http://www.utexas.edu/research/ctr/p...s/0_4403_2.pdf

http://www.erosioncontrol.com/EC/Art...rage_4811.aspx

Read carefully, if you can, then tell me about relevance .
Old 05-07-2013, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
You need to pay attention Maynard. Read carefully, if you can, then tell me about relevance .
Ok, there has been some snark from me, which isn't helpful, so forget all that please. Move on. But, here's the issue. A lot of folks do use straw, and it seems to work just fine for seeding. What your sources seem to say is that compost is good -- which I agree -- but I'm not seeing the "straw is bad" in the articles you post. (yeah, I can't read 'em cover to cover in one hour, but I try to make an effort.) I really could not say straw is a bad choice just for seeding cover. Compost and other mulch prods have a lot of other advantages, including erosion control, but just germinating seed? Straw works good for that too.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:17 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I look at it the 2nd link Talks more about Texas erosion and The soil there does suck. Might benefit there.
I didn't see anything said about Missouri Or New York where the OP is from

Compost made from feed lot manure. I would not put that in a customer lawn.

Maybe your soil sucks in Ca. you need compost since you don't have any good top soil or cost way to much to install top soil and you install compost since its cheap. I don't know

I didn't see anything that said its better then straw for a seed cover. If it did, I miss it Sorry Did read, its better then a slit fence and cost less.

How do you install the compost on a 2-1,3-1 slope?
How long does it take you cover 1,000 sf. ? I know on straw 2 bales will cover 1,000 sf. that's $8.00 time for me cover it with straw is a 1 min or less depends how fast you can get the strings off with my straw blower
I know, I know, I know, We are not talking about what things cost.

Maybe my town and me are behind in times but nobody use compost for a seed cover here.
Back in the 80s/90s we traveled with one contactor doing all there projects Been to Neb.,Iowa,ILL.,Kan, and Texas,Ark. and a lot jobs in Missouri Texas was worst soil condition I ever seen. Started the project and didn't get to finish it bottom fell out on the hog market. So owner stop the project of a slaughter plant.

I'll be the better man and end this, You are right I am wrong
OP listen to this guys he knows his poo My poo just floats
Old 05-08-2013, 02:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A little dark compost does seem to work better for cold germination. No links, just anecdotal experience. Happened by accident. Noticed where the mulch was inadvertently dropped was the first spots to germinate. Meanwhile shady areas with light colored straw were the slowest. I don't need any pointed headed, air conditioned, manual writing desk jockey (or university of where ever) to explain why convention states that straw must be used. Dark compost attracts and holds heat. If somebody wants straw, straw they will get. Sprinkle a little compost for results you'll see for yourself. (Or go read what some egg head with a lot of letters after his name says).
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-08-2013, 07:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassGuerilla View Post
A little dark compost does seem to work better for cold germination. No links, just anecdotal experience. Happened by accident. Noticed where the mulch was inadvertently dropped was the first spots to germinate. Meanwhile shady areas with light colored straw were the slowest. I don't need any pointed headed, air conditioned, manual writing desk jockey (or university of where ever) to explain why convention states that straw must be used. Dark compost attracts and holds heat. If somebody wants straw, straw they will get. Sprinkle a little compost for results you'll see for yourself. (Or go read what some egg head with a lot of letters after his name says).
Posted via Mobile Device
So what your saying is that a little common sense experience along with the ability to analyse what you observe in the real world around you is of greater value than the the writings by pointed headed desk jockeys???

I love it...