Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-08-2013, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

@GrassGuerill: Have you had any problems with the straw not degrading after a while. I had that problem in one yard, the straw I got was very stalky and seemed not to want to break down.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

For anyone who is interested ....... watch the video

http://watchyourdirt.com/watchyourdi...ideo-info.html
Old 05-08-2013, 11:11 AM
LawnSite Member

We went from seed germination to the battle of compost vs. straw. Cool. Back to seed germination..... Today is day 32. We are finally getting some rain here. I am just going to let nature take over now. What ever happens happens. Looks like shite like the rest of the lawn but oh well. Live and learn. God I wish there was actually a lawn service that knew lawns in my area.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabby View Post
We went from seed germination to the battle of compost vs. straw. Cool. Back to seed germination..... Today is day 32. We are finally getting some rain here. I am just going to let nature take over now. What ever happens happens. Looks like shite like the rest of the lawn but oh well. Live and learn. God I wish there was actually a lawn service that knew lawns in my area.
You need to do your seeding/overseeding in the fall, as that is the time when it is most appropriate for cool season grasses, particularly the further north you go.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabby View Post
These last few days have been pretty good for me in DC in terms of germination -- good moisture/sprinkles but not heavy downpours, scattered sunshine, cool days but not frigid at night like last two weeks. It looks like where you are has been in somewhat the same weather pattern. The midnight KBG I planted 3 weeks ago has suddenly popped over the last 3 days and nights. Hopefully, you will start seeing that too with your grass, if you have not already.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
You need to do your seeding/overseeding in the fall, as that is the time when it is most appropriate for cool season grasses, particularly the further north you go.
Yes I know this. Did not get to it in the fall. So this spring I did it because I was tired of going through holes with the Scag.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maynardGkeynes View Post
@GrassGuerill: Have you had any problems with the straw not degrading after a while. I had that problem in one yard, the straw I got was very stalky and seemed not to want to break down.
It shouldn't be a problem. If its really noticeable, you may be putting down too much straw. I've seen straw in the thatch that was several years old, and pretty well established. And yeah, some straw is better than others. Possibly the biggest advantage to using straw is a visual deterrent to foot traffic.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-08-2013, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
So what your saying is that a little common sense experience along with the ability to analyse what you observe in the real world around you is of greater value than the the writings by pointed headed desk jockeys???

I love it...
Yes sir, that is exactly what I mean.

As a life long aquarium hobbyist, I've read hundreds of books on fish. Their behavior, mating practices, diet etc. Actual observation and hands on experience often differ from the text. Turns out fish don't read, and therefore have no idea how they are supposed to behave. Not saying Straw doesn't work. Just that sometimes the conventional methods aren't the most effective.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-15-2013, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Member

So here is an update how it looks today, day 38. 4 weeks since germination. I mowed it with my push mower. Did not want the Scag on it yet. Pictures of the same 3 areas I posted above on page 2. Still looks like shite, but has gotten a lot better. You guys think it will eventually fill in all the way?
Attached Images

Last edited by Gabby; 05-15-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like there is a lot of lime in the areas that haven't filled in.