Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-08-2013, 11:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Solitare

Just checking in to see who uses this stuff later in the summer or for "cleanup" before overseeding.

I'm going to give it a shot for my late June and early August application.

Just wanted to see some opinions and what your results were after using it. Like visible response time from the crabgrass, response time for sedges and broadleaves and did you ever have to reapply or did it do its job after the first app?

I'm moving away from the Q4 plus and am giving this a shot.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yoo hoo.....................anyone?
Old 05-08-2013, 04:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

we used it last year and it did wonderful on sedges and some broadleaves....did not do much to spurge....crabgrass it would turn it purple but would come bouncing back....in my opinion the new q4 plus is a better product
Old 05-08-2013, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Contains quinclorac (like Drive) for crabgrass and sulfentrazone for weeds and sedges (like Surge).
http://www.fmcprosolutions.com/GolfC...Herbicide.aspx
Old 05-09-2013, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Member

I bought some when I couldn't get drive immediatly. Worked OK on crabgrass, good on sedges. Crazy expensive.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenskeeper44 View Post
we used it last year and it did wonderful on sedges and some broadleaves....did not do much to spurge....crabgrass it would turn it purple but would come bouncing back....in my opinion the new q4 plus is a better product
Hmm, thanks for posting. So, here are the actives for Q4 Plus and the actives for Solitaire.

Q4 Plus Active Ingredient: Quinclorac 8.43% Sulfentrazone 0.69% 2,4-D, dimethylamine salt 11.81% Dicamba, dimethylamine salt 1.49%

Solitaire Active Ingredient: Quinclorac 56.25% Sulfentrazone 18.75%

Which of the chemicals really attacks the crabgrass? IF it's the Quinclorac then that doesn't make sense that the Q4 worked good on crabgrass and the Solitaire didn't considering there is about seven times more in the Solitaire.

See, I had the same issue you had with the crabgrass but I DID use the Q4....
Old 05-09-2013, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yatt View Post
I bought some when I couldn't get drive immediatly. Worked OK on crabgrass, good on sedges. Crazy expensive.
It is pretty pricey but it is a "3 in 1" type chemical. Meaning crabgrass/grassy weeds, sedges, and broadleaf weeds. If I recall, the mixture is around 1.5 ounces for every THREE gallons. It comes in a one pound tub so I'm also assuming there is 16 ounces of product. I priced it out at $110 from a supplier. So getting 32 gallons of mix for $110 and being able to target weeds, sedges and grassy weeds isn't too terribly bad.

The Q4 you get 42 gallons total mix out of a gallon of concentrate at 3 ounces per gallon and it is a little cheaper. I can't remember the price per gallon but I don't think is more than around $25-35 less than Solitaire. BUT, the 2 active ingredients in Solitaire versus the same 2 in the Q4; one is seven times more, the other about 18 times more. Now depending on what the other active ingredients in Q4 do that Solitaire doesn't have would really tell me which one is better.

Do the other active ingredients in Q4 that Solitaire does NOT have negate the fact of differences of 7 times and 18 times? I don't know, maybe someone can chime in that has a definitive answer.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron mexico75 View Post
It is pretty pricey but it is a "3 in 1" type chemical. Meaning crabgrass/grassy weeds, sedges, and broadleaf weeds. If I recall, the mixture is around 1.5 ounces for every THREE gallons. It comes in a one pound tub so I'm also assuming there is 16 ounces of product. I priced it out at $110 from a supplier. So getting 32 gallons of mix for $110 and being able to target weeds, sedges and grassy weeds isn't too terribly bad.
Actually you are right on the effective cost. Since I was only mixing a small sprayer for spot spraying you don't need much. It was the $100/pound that made me suck wind.

I weighed the amount needed on a powder scale, then found a measuring spoon for miracle grown that when filled level full, gave me the amount needed. In mixing up a couple sprayers, I haven't made a dent in it.

It mixes very easily
Old 05-09-2013, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

im not sure on the percentages as q4 is a liquid where you are using 3 oz/1000 and solitaire is a wdg thats 1lb/ acre.....just from experience q4 did work better for us on crabgrass
Old 05-09-2013, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Damn, I don't know what to get now.

Also, can someone post which chemical in the 2 products is the one that attacks the crabgrass?
Posted via Mobile Device